U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM

520 posts, read 264,001 times
Default Patrick Stewart asks 1 million men to help end violence against women.

I read on Yahoo! News this morning what Sir Patrick Stewart is doing to help women all over this country and it has renewed my hope and faith in men again.

Patrick made a heartfelt speech to reach out to one million men for them to help stop violence against women. He spoke of his own experience with the abusive environment he grew up in and how, at the tender age of 5 years old, he would place himself between his father's fists and his abused mother whenever violence against her ensued.

I'm hoping that what Sir Patrick Stewart is doing will help raise public awareness to all of the abusive men out there who think that pushing and/or hitting a woman is acceptable. Mr. Stewart isn't perfect. He has admitted in the past that he has committed adultery on some of the women he was married to and that he didn't treat others with the respect that they deserved. He's genuinely remorseful about what he had done and has seen the error of his ways. He's made a complete 180 and has changed his attitude toward women to one of humanity and respect.

Fast forward to the present: His speech at the Diplomat Ballroom at the UN Hotel yesterday with his plea to millions of men in this country to STOP committing violence against women - no matter what the situation is or how bad their temper is - is not only encouraging, but I'm sure it'll restore hope and faith to millions of women who have been abused and who are in danger of being physically abused.

Sir Patrick Stewart calls on

I just wanted to share this great news with everyone; particularly with the women here who have been abused in the past or who know someone who has been. It's wonderful to know that some men really do CARE about the violence that is committed against women! For me personally, seeing this article today has definitely restored my faith in some of the men in this country.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Wow.

It's hard to believe that no one on this entire site cares about this topic nor have they ever been affected by it or know someone who has.

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:13 AM

918 posts, read 725,782 times
Most men don't care and THEIR MOTHERS are collaborating by not teaching their sons. Good on Sir Patrick!

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM

507 posts, read 203,998 times
That's good news, Mr. Patrick is doing a good deed. Though there were a few remarks in the article I'm highly critical of, but I like how he spoke on this idea on International Women's Day.

Last edited by Bob-Man; 03-10-2013 at 03:14 AM..

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Most men don't care and THEIR MOTHERS are collaborating by not teaching their sons. Good on Sir Patrick!
What you posted is sad but true. Parents really need to be teaching their sons AND daughters about how to be good people with empathy, compassion and respect for those that are in their lives, in whatever capacity that may be.

@Bob-Man: Which part of the article were you highly critical of?

Unread 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post

@Bob-Man: Which part of the article were you highly critical of?
I like his idea, but I wished Patrick would also apply his brilliant plan for women in other countries too, especially those countries where women still have no rights, and are more exposed to abuse.

Unread 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM

5,360 posts, read 3,545,124 times
It's commendable that he is speaking out on this, but I am puzzled with the "1 million men" comment. Why stop at 1 million? What about the other 2,999,000,000 men?

Unread 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM

4,602 posts, read 2,208,538 times
id be a lot more impressed if a celeb spoke out against female violence against men

playing the male feminist is about as cliched as it gets for liberal celebs

Unread 03-16-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
id be a lot more impressed if a celeb spoke out against female violence against men

playing the male feminist is about as cliched as it gets for liberal celebs
Women get crapped on the most in domestic violence.

Unread 03-16-2013, 08:48 AM

4,602 posts, read 2,208,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Women get crapped on the most in domestic violence.
that cannot be known for sure , their is a stigma against men admitting they are victims of domestic violence by their partner , if they go to the police , they are often laughed at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology