Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times

Advertisements

If you only have negative thoughts in your head, it is possible that you were criticized too much as a child. The voices in your head have their origin in your parents, IMO.

I have these too. I had an overly critical parent. This parent had an overly critical parent. And so it goes. (I seriously tried to break that cycle with my own kids.)

So, what can we do? I think we need to accept that we will always some of this, but we can choose to think positively. I personally find this hard. I am sympathizing with your problem.

Lets both think positively tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,915,048 times
Any number of people who have been safeguarded by harboring negative thoughts, always thinking of worst-case scenario's, are alive today as a result of it, and the postive thinkers didn't survive!

Germany, WWII:

Negative thinker: I don't trust Hitler! I'm a Jew! He's gonna kill us all! I'm leaving Germany behind!
Positive thinker: (Laughs!) I trust Hitler to the skies! It's never gonna happen!

Cambodia, 1970's/Pol Pot regime:

Negative thinker: I think if Pol Pot had his way, he'd kill all of us with Chinese blood! He's a maniac! I'm leaving Cambodia tonite, going back to China!"
Positive thinker: (Laughs!) This is all going to blow over soon! The Americans will arrive and defend us against Pol Pot! I'm staying put! I'm optimistic!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,299,674 times
Quote:
"If you only have negative thoughts in your head, it is possible that you were criticized too much as a child. The voices in your head have their origin in your parents, IMO."
It is interesting that you mention this because I was the youngest child and the only male and had 3 older sisters. That means that I lived with them through their teenage years. Teenage girls can be very critical and I remember that it the way it was. Not necessarily critical toward me but critical as teenage girls are. If someones hair was a little out of place it was reason for a critical comment. So I heard those kinds of things for many years when growing up. Now it would have been offset by a manly father but my father was as self conscious of what other people thought of him as a teenage girl. And he was as critical about dress and how a persons hair was combed etc. So that may be some of the reasons that I have had to deal with negative thoughts all these years. But I am not blaming my sisters for being critical at that age because that is the way teenage girls are and I think more so back then before people starting dressing wierd as they do today. Anyway it is a complicated thing to try and analyze oneself.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 PM

102 posts, read 231,336 times
I feel that negative thoughts tend to lessen when one learns how to be compassionate with him(her) self . In fact the negative thinker often actually hopes for positive outcomes but is critical of himself . An intelligent and sensitive person who merely is vulnerable to overthinking in an effort to strive for perfectionaism is a classic example .

Give yourself permission to be human . It's ok to have thoughts and feelings. A negative thought doesn't have to be a set back . In fact it can be a growth spurt . A positive thought can be a time to relax. It can even be viewed as a time to recover .

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,308,412 times
Diet, exercise, manipulating your senses to release good brain chemicals for happy thoughts. Surround yourself with positive people, journal, read, breathing exercises, and work on your compassion for others and yourself.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
It is interesting that you mention this because I was the youngest child and the only male and had 3 older sisters. That means that I lived with them through their teenage years. Teenage girls can be very critical and I remember that it the way it was. Not necessarily critical toward me but critical as teenage girls are. If someones hair was a little out of place it was reason for a critical comment. So I heard those kinds of things for many years when growing up. Now it would have been offset by a manly father but my father was as self conscious of what other people thought of him as a teenage girl. And he was as critical about dress and how a persons hair was combed etc. So that may be some of the reasons that I have had to deal with negative thoughts all these years. But I am not blaming my sisters for being critical at that age because that is the way teenage girls are and I think more so back then before people starting dressing wierd as they do today. Anyway it is a complicated thing to try and analyze oneself.
Its too bad your parent was not a good role model along these lines.

But you can break the cycle. You can be a good, positive son, brother, uncle, parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology