U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 PM

12,585 posts, read 13,694,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not done with any forethought, that's silly, it's instantaneous. It's basically a reflex. I don't know why it would be a reflex in women vs men, ask God.
No, I think it's simpler than that although I haven't observed the behavior "in the wild."

If there is any gender difference then it's bound to be based in gender biased upbringing of children, parents treating males and females differently, teaching them "gender appropriate" behaviors, expecting them to play with "gender appropriate" toys, etc.

I hope my feelings on the subject "gender appropriate" are coming through, in that I don't believe in it, and think children should be raised to be gender neutral in the sense that I think it's perfectly fine for girls to play in the garden with toy trucks, perfectly fine for boys to play with dolls. I think that teaching different behaviors based on gender leads to mixed up expectations and complicates their future lives.

I particularly approve of "tom girls" and admire their independence in ignoring gender expectations and doing what they feel like doing even if it's classified as boy stuff.

When you grow up you gotta treat the world as gender neutral and I see no reason to start out right from the beginning. While you're at it teach your children to be accepting of different races, religions, no religion, teach them that GLBT is not bad just different, teach them that all of us are just people, all different but mostly the same in all the important ways that count.

I think I'm kind of on my soap box so I'll step down, but really if there is an "O" thing and if it's gender selective, then you can bet they were taught the behavior when they were children.

Personally I'm not amused. I'm a gender equality kind of guy.

Well except when I'm picking who I date!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM

71,849 posts, read 63,086,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
My parents taught me to cover my open mouth, as being good manners. That goes for when I yawn, when I chew, when I am shocked, or laughing, etc. In other words, I was taught that no one ever wants to see the inside my mouth. Perhaps it originated from a time before modern dentistry. My parents were from the southern United States, if that matters.
Exactly this. It's rude to display your tonsils and tongue to the world, and it's not attractive, no matter who does it.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Makes no diff to me, although you should cover your mouth when you sneeze in order to not become an aerosol delivery system for spreading germs.

I've seen people do a sort of exaggerated mock dropped jaw to indicate astonishment, usually intended to be humorous. Next expression is usually a grin or a wink!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 PM

6,332 posts, read 6,754,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I was curious about this too. I understand any time you say, "why do women..." then in come the social justice warriors to tell us there are no gender differences, or whatever, but my question is close to this one. It's NOT a natural reaction to open your mouth as wide as possible when you're surprised. I'm sorry, but it isn't. If it was a natural reaction everyone would do it. I've never once seen a guy do that, maybe a gay guy, but not a straight guy. It's learned behavior. If you're surprised you may widen your eyes a bit, you may smirk, you may furrow your brow (if it's disappointment or disgust), but you don't open your mouth literally as wide as it can go like it's a dental hygiene visit. Yet I see girls do this constantly, on TV, in photos, in videos, in person, it doesn't matter.

I have to think it's some sort of learned behavior like they think it's cute, or someone taught them early to be extra expressive. That means of course not every girl does this, because any learned behavior is by definition not a natural reaction and thus everyone won't do it. I could imagine if someone jumped out of the shadows at you, a guy or a girl may open their mouths a bit wider, as they gasp or inhale quickly or whatever. That is definitely logical. But I am talking about the mouth-as-wide-as-possible in conversational dialogue, like, "Did you hear Becky got completely trashed at the company meeting?" No guy would open wide and pause, then go, "Oh my god, no she didn't!" He may scoff, chuckle, smirk, or any number of other things, but he's not going to open wide.

I'm always interested in where this type of learned behavior originates and who told them to do this?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
The mouth wide or mouth-wide-and-covered reaction during conversational dialogue is just an exaggerated response for dramatic purposes.

In moments of real shock, though, I've seen men and women staring with open mouth, and sometimes also with covered mouth. It's a natural reaction. If you recall photos of bystanders staring up at the World Trade Center on 9/11, there were plenty of open mouths and also open mouths covered with hands, among men and women both (although more uncovered open mouths among the men).

http://www.njlawman.com/images/September%2011%2013.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bU...vCSPX-4FnnAIuQ
Women may open their mouths more but most do not open them as wide as possible and no one thinks that's cute. Opening one's mouth in response to shock or surprise is definitely a natural reaction and men do it as well. Most likely because in a state of shock or fear one might need to take a deep breath quickly to oxyegenate the blood and prepare for action. I'm not sure about the mouth covering, it might be both a natural reaction to stifle a posible scream and modesty in not wanting to show everyone the inside of their mouths.

Some women may seem to be exagerating the movements but it would still stem from a natural reaction. Women in general tend to be more expressive so it may appear fake or learned to someone who is more reserved but most likely it is just thier natural expression as part of a conversation or experience. It's like men screaming, throwing their fists in the air and generally going nuts when their team scores. This appears comepletely bizarre to those who do not engage in such behavior but that doesn't mean it isn't natural and genuine. That seems to be one of the few instances where men are encouraged to be expressive and show emotion with abandon.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Women may open their mouths more but most do not open them as wide as possible and no one thinks that's cute.
I think it's funny if it is intentional, mocking, comic behavior. Maybe not as funny if they aren't intending to be facetious.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 PM

6,332 posts, read 6,754,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think it's funny if it is intentional, mocking, comic behavior. Maybe not as funny if they aren't intending to be facetious.
Yeah, that's a different situation.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:23 AM

16,651 posts, read 14,509,878 times
Quote:
No, I think it's simpler than that although I haven't observed the behavior "in the wild."

If there is any gender difference then it's bound to be based in gender biased upbringing of children, parents treating males and females differently, teaching them "gender appropriate" behaviors, expecting them to play with "gender appropriate" toys, etc.

I hope my feelings on the subject "gender appropriate" are coming through, in that I don't believe in it, and think children should be raised to be gender neutral in the sense that I think it's perfectly fine for girls to play in the garden with toy trucks, perfectly fine for boys to play with dolls. I think that teaching different behaviors based on gender leads to mixed up expectations and complicates their future lives.

I particularly approve of "tom girls" and admire their independence in ignoring gender expectations and doing what they feel like doing even if it's classified as boy stuff.

When you grow up you gotta treat the world as gender neutral and I see no reason to start out right from the beginning. While you're at it teach your children to be accepting of different races, religions, no religion, teach them that GLBT is not bad just different, teach them that all of us are just people, all different but mostly the same in all the important ways that count.

I think I'm kind of on my soap box so I'll step down, but really if there is an "O" thing and if it's gender selective, then you can bet they were taught the behavior when they were children.

Personally I'm not amused. I'm a gender equality kind of guy.

Well except when I'm picking who I date!
I disagree, I believe it's inborn a reflex, not taught. I was never taught to bring my hand to my mouth when I exclaimed surprise, that is silly. It just happens naturally, it's not conscious at all.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM

I must not have the gene then.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM

16,651 posts, read 14,509,878 times
Quote:
I must not have the gene then.

People are not identical. Obviously it would only apply to people who reflexively put their hand over their mouth. To me it's not any different than putting your hand to your nose when you sneeze, there is no forethought, it is simultaneous with the surprise, at least within a few milliseconds, and certainly not long enough to involve conscious thought let alone a decision, before the action happens.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 AM

Is it anything like giving hand gestures when somebody cuts you off in traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology