Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,881,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Lately I've becoming more cynical, and judgmental of the things people do. I've become increasingly bitter with people and am finding that I can't relate to them as much. For most of my life until this point (I'm in college), I've been the girl who was always smiling and quiet and who could get along with anyone, because I didn't think critically about what they do. If they stole cars, it didn't affect how much I liked them at all as long as it wasn't from me. But now I see how bad people are, and I feel like an outsider in the world. I was always liked by every single person. But now it's so different, because I voice my opinion and people don't like it and thus people don't like me.

People slaughter animals, rape the Earth for financial gain, believe in cockamamey mythology religions, and are increasingly devoid of sexual standards. People deny that the recent climate change has been caused by humans even though it is so obvious. It's not just that people are corrupt, but that so many are so dumb.

I find it hard to bite my tongue and 'respect' people, which means having no objections to how they act. Now that I have been speaking out on actions I think are bad, I feel a huge divide between me and humanity. People have been very mean back in response to my criticisms. Also, arguing with others has proven very pointless. People are usually stubborn and they won't change even when what they do is so obviously wrong.

Feeling this way has led me to feel like I don't belong in this world, and though I'd never kill myself, for the first time in my life I don't think I'd care very much if I was about to die. But I'm only 21, so I shouldn't think this way.

How can I change my life to be a happier person, but without becoming a very ignorant person, blind to what's wrong? They say ignorance is bliss. It's true I guess. But I can't be ignorant anymore, I know too much.
Welcome to adulthood. It hit me a little later than you, but yep, such is the world we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,960,366 times
Johana, what have you actually done to improve the world? What inventions have you come up with? Any cure for any disease? Have you written a masterpiece? Have you designed some strategy to reduce poverty or violence? Some groundbreaking achievemnt in the arts or sciences? Have you changed the life of anyone?

There's people out there who actually do that. Do you think they waste their time being cynical and/or complaining?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,696,799 times
There's extremes in people those that are very good and those that are very evil -- but for the most part people are exactly the same no matter where you go. Most of them act and react the same, if you get around a lot of different people you will see the same common threads: self absorbed, adult bullies. Obviously they try and convinced you they are all different, but don't be fooled.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 31,602 times
Lately I have felt the same way about most people in general, also. I can understand what djohanna is talking about.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:42 PM

892 posts, read 478,362 times
actions following words can help in seeing who has integrity, and is in it for the long haul. stay aware and true to your values. you may find kindred spirits, maybe not as obvious as the ones who aren't, but they do exist. if you can value something, surely there are others who do, too.

Old 11-24-2023, 07:51 AM

37 posts, read 19,865 times
Volunteer some time to a worthy cause.

Inquire. There are support/discussion groups in many places.

Spend more time in natural surroundings, walking, hiking and biking.

A relationship with one quite different than oneself can be richly rewarding.

Friendship and love are the great healers.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:12 AM

22,261 posts, read 47,182,535 times
I am certain she figured this out... ten years ago.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 AM

23,445 posts, read 13,678,468 times
Quote:
.......How can I change my life to be a happier person, but without becoming a very ignorant person, blind to what's wrong? They say ignorance is bliss. It's true I guess. But I can't be ignorant anymore, I know too much.
Embrace nature, marvel at the beauty of the natural world. Sure, it is at peril with the humans in it, I am constantly screaming to the Gods, "They are building too much!", but for what little you can do, remember......."You may not change the world by saving one animal, but you will change their world.".

Old 11-24-2023, 08:33 AM

1,845 posts, read 850,844 times
Zombie thread

Old 11-24-2023, 08:48 AM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times
Quote:
Even with religion, I think many people can still concede that there's inherent value in strict monogamy. It also decreases likelihood of catching STD's. If you're single and not religious I can understand wanting only casual sex. But the thing with casual sex is there's such little meaning and value in it. I think it's definitely worthy to instead build up a lasting relationship with just one special person.
I agree that sexual mores are not necessarily the product of religious beliefs. OP must decide what is safe and healthy for HER. What others do is not in your control, nor should it affect you much.

We hear that colleges these days are chock full of wacko liberals professors, spoon feeding the students a bunch of nonsense. You need to filter out the noise and just put yourself and your values first. You cannot affect the strife in the Middle East, you cannot stop global warming, you cannot do much of anything except vote, recycle, adopt foster pets, or work at a food bank. I think if you do you will feel better.

By the way, we all judge other people, and reject those having behaviors that are unacceptable to us. There is nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology