Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,579 times

Advertisements

So say I come in and post about something that is not politically correct.

I ask question "x". A troll comes in and answers question "x". Question "x" was perfectly reasonable to answer or the troll wouldn't have bothered to answer it.

Question "x" could have been as "light duty" as "does the sun come up in the morning".

Troll answers "x" in their own way but makes their help loaded by attacking you on the rest of your post.

Suddenly, your whole post becomes something that no one will touch because the troll made light of the rest of your post.

You are now forced to rely exclusively on what the troll says because everyone is afraid to go against the political correctness of the troll, or be seen as an enemy of the troll for trying to help you.

Sometimes you have to give a background to why you are posting a certain question.

What the heck? Not sure if I am the only one to notice this.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
It's called swaying the audience. Or a persuasive communications.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM

I always thought this, thanks.

One thing is, how does the troll get away with asserting that you said something you never even said you did?

Even if you rebut it and tell them that you never said that it is too late....

You either:

1) Get Silence

or

2) Get tons of trolls joining up with the original troll.

Trolls joining up with the original troll is not as bad as silence but almost is since you have to fight off multiple trolls and convince the whole world that all of the trolls are wrong in an effort to get an answer.

Eventually, you will get the answer that you need but it takes FAR more effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I decided to post on a thread recently where someone had essentially started attacking the OP's "reasons" for posting . . . and I wish I hadn't! I came in hoping to get the discussion back on track b/c it was a subject I knew a bit about and I have posted with the OP in the past and felt he was being unjustifiably attacked.

The next two posters were positive and on topic but from there on, folks seemed determined to continue with snide remarks about the OP's underlying reasons (as if anyone could know that!) for creating the thread.

Then, a page later, the posts were directed at discrediting what I had said, lol. I wish I had never bothered to really try and answer the OP's question. The OP did take the time to write me a DM and thank me. On paper, though, I hated even seeing I had posted on a thread that turned nasty and mean spirited. :-(

I am making an assumption here, but I am wondering if past experiences such as mine make folks reluctant to step in once the trolling and ugliness get started.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM

This is what I figured.

PM me next time they get started I swear. You have a pal and some new rep. haahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I decided to post on a thread recently where someone had essentially started attacking the OP's "reasons" for posting . . . and I wish I hadn't! I came in hoping to get the discussion back on track b/c it was a subject I knew a bit about and I have posted with the OP in the past and felt he was being unjustifiably attacked.

The next two posters were positive and on topic but from there on, folks seemed determined to continue with snide remarks about the OP's underlying reasons (as if anyone could know that!) for creating the thread.

Then, a page later, the posts were directed at discrediting what I had said, lol. I wish I had never bothered to really try and answer the OP's question. The OP did take the time to write me a DM and thank me. On paper, though, I hated even seeing I had posted on a thread that turned nasty and mean spirited. :-(

I am making an assumption here, but I am wondering if past experiences such as mine make folks reluctant to step in once the trolling and ugliness get started.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
This is what I figured.

PM me next time they get started I swear. You have a pal and some new rep. haahahahahaha
It is so sad that trolls can ruin the thread. Now, I will admit, sometimes what folks say when more or less trolling can even be quite amusing. But the mean-spirited stuff wh/ is focusing on some slightly related issue or harranguing about something that has been clearly misinterpreted or purposely twisted -- it often just makes me feel sad and disgusted.

Thanks, va_lucky! Nice to know there are others who don't feel good about posters being ganged up on just for sport.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
That's a good sign you'll want to report to a mod..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
The weird thing is that some people may not consider themselves trolls...They consider themselves "right" and superior and a so-called expert who has a duty to set others "straight."...It's hard to have a decent conversation when "bratty kids" step-in and act like "spoilers." But I guess this is how things go these days...I've cut way back on the amount of time I spend on forums. No one deserves to be attacked. Or turned into a "target" for trolls or bullies...I don't want to be this way myself. And I don't want to be around people who play silly "games" on forums either. Why?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

Baby, all that technical talk is so hot...

PS "technical talk"...I just love how it sounds.

technical talk

technical talk

technical talk

I could go on an on...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM

You got that right...I am thinking of cutting back as well. If you can't post the way you really want to post and get an answer then it is obscure. I went to a counseling forum and had to disguise the fact that I had a men's right's issue just to get the help that I needed.

That is too much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
The weird thing is that some people may not consider themselves trolls...They consider themselves "right" and superior and a so-called expert who has a duty to set others "straight."...It's hard to have a decent conversation when "bratty kids" step-in and act like "spoilers." But I guess this is how things go these days...I've cut way back on the amount of time I spend on forums. No one deserves to be attacked. Or turned into a "target" for trolls or bullies...I don't want to be this way myself. And I don't want to be around people who play silly "games" on forums either. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology