Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Wow, YJ. No need to get angry and hostile.
b-b-but that's what narcissistic people do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Thought I'd post this question, Do you feel that people are more selfish & self absorbed
today than before?
Human history has gone on a very long time--I'm sure there were periods of time and places where selfishness, self absorption and hedonism were more prevalent than today. However, is today a time where we should be proud of the general attitude of people in America? Depends on socio-economic status of the group.

As to the very upper classes and ultra-wealthy; anyone in elected office; anyone in higher levels of Big or mid-sized Business--I'd say they're about maxed out on the scale of selfishness in human history. The passing of Free Trade laws (upon the direction of Big Business) has got to be one of the most selfish and greedy things to happen in history, resulting in the almost-total destruction of the working and Middle Class in America (as anticipated). The upper classes did this with the full realization that they were destroying the Middle Class and stealing most of the wealth held there (a system that sent a wave of prosperity worldwide), and both Republican and Democrat elected officials presented and supported the legislation that continues to turn America into a two-class society today.

Working class people, be they successful professionals or trade practitioners or the like, are generally not selfish people--but then again in this society, you'd better not be too generous or your family won't be prosperous. The tax system does a great job of equalizing the wealth among working people and the needy, leaving very little room for any more charity. And this is absolutely WRONG--politicians should NOT have the ability to confiscate wages and take credit for all the charitable give-aways that result. Private and religious charities do a MUCH better job weeding out the scam artists and the abusers of the system--government actually encourages them.

Lower class people are usually the most generous of all, but here we have the problem of generous people being supported by taxpayers dollars who are giving away money that they did not earn. We have a VERY high standard of life in America for our poorest citizens compared to most of the world--nobody starving in the streets, everyone getting super-expensive medical care in emergency rooms, and the lowest ghetto dweller having enough money to produce as many children as physically possible, drink to excess and smoke, and do drugs.

It is easy to give away money you did not have to earn in some miserable, stressful job that prevents you from enjoying life. Therefore the working class who help others (and I do NOT mean by giving away money to some organized religion) is a VERY generous group in America, and probably compare well to any time in human history.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Thought I'd post this question, Do you feel that people are more selfish & self absorbed
today than before?
No. There have always been plenty of selfish and narcissistic people.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
There was a statistical study several years ago that showed the difference between charitable donations of those
who made the most money to those who made little. In short, lower income groups were more generous than
higher income groups. Note, the lowest of the income groups usually would donate to their churches.
There was a current article by Ken Stern about this.
Saying that, back to the main topic.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Wish there was an unlike button on here or a thumbs up or down for some of these posts!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
I can't say for sure since this is the only time period i know. I will ask this though, have there been as many charities, volunteer causes and not-for-profit groups back then as there are now? Everyday I see another charity pop up and another cause to support whether it be for breast cancer awareness, homeless shelters, shelters for battered women and abused children, animal shelters, environmental protection awareness campaigns, mental illness awareness campaigns.... you name it, and it's a great thing. Just something to take into consideration.

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-29-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I can't say for sure since this is the only time period i know. I will ask this though, have there been as many charities, volunteer causes and not-for-profit groups back then as there are now? Everyday I see another charity pop up and another cause to support whether it be for breast cancer awareness, homeless shelters, shelters for battered women and abused children, animal shelters, environmental protection awareness campaigns, mental illness awareness campaigns.... you name it, and it's a great thing. Just something to take into consideration.
I think the media has an affect. Years ago there were noted people who gave to charities quietly
such as John F. Kennedy Jr. He was private in his generousity and gave for the sake of giving.
Unlike some who, I think, partially do it for publicity and to promote themselves. Also, there is
more awareness about some of the causes you mentioned that in the past, people were uncomfortable
to come forward because it seemed taboo or a sign of weakness.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Terrible thread. Discusses absolutely nothing about me.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Economics aside, people don't give of themselves. The Meeeeeeee! Generation.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,714 times
I wonder how will they feel 30-40 years from now, abandoned in a home for the elderly, consuming the final days of their lonely lives...will they keep spending hours checking their Facebook status? Will they read the posts on online fórums while absent minded nurses hand them their morning pills? Will they remember with nostalgia "40 years ago I thought the whole world revolved around me...nowadays I feel lucky if the nurse remembers to change my diapers."

Many people who live nowadays in a narcissistic virtual bubble are gonna have a rough landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology