Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM

580 posts, read 964,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Yeah, that Little Pony stuff is for wussies. Everyone knows real manly man types love to watch WWF Wrestling and Monster Trucks. <burp> Gimme another beer!

Personally, it's his life and if he loves Gilligan's Island, like moi, then so be it. To each his own.
My sentiments exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,572,353 times
Could be he loves the colors and special effects they seem to use on that cartoon. Maybe seeing the pretty colors energizes him and makes him happy.

Maybe its his way to counter-attack the depressing news we see on the tv. might be good cheap thereapy even!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,684,837 times
No, OP, it is not a joke. It has been bubbling underground for a few years now and I say "good for them" for many of the reasons expressed in this article:

Adult male My Little Pony fans? Bronies are true rebels | Rebecca Angel | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

And this:

Just John DeLancie singing about the history of Bronies, that's all

Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,347,524 times
There are some things that society is against, and it's difficult to determine why. This is definitely one of those things.

Think about why we distrust this person before accepting your distrust of this person.

We probably distrust him, at least in part, due to some societal discouragement we've learned that may or may not be rational. Perhaps his behavior means he is less likely to be of assistance to himself or society, or perhaps not.

However, it's understandable if people don't want to spend time around him. He made the decision to be quite embarrassing. Other people don't need to suffer for his decisions too, and become societal outcasts too.

Granted, I enjoy "Beavis and Butthead", which is probably far more psychologically damaging that this person's interests, but it's more socially acceptable, so it's less harmful to my peers who associate with me.

Last edited by Clintone; 04-16-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM

823 posts, read 1,972,481 times
Guys, do you think all this Pony talk could be a code word for drugs?

Remember that Puff the Magic Dragon, which was supposed to be a children's song, became a code word for marihuana smoking.

Maybe potheads smoke big joints while playing with little ponies?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,795,871 times
I think it's hilarious AND awesome! I was a dedicated MLP hater as a kid back in the 80s and still refuse to give it a try but it really doesn't surprise me that supposedly grown men like the show.

I can't be the only person who realizes the best writers today are making cartoons instead of primetime fare (which is usually pure trash). I realized that when I became a Avatar: The Last Airbender fan. It's a rare cartoon that is made JUST for kids these days.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,516,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Guys, do you think all this Pony talk could be a code word for drugs?

Remember that Puff the Magic Dragon, which was supposed to be a children's song, became a code word for marihuana smoking.

Maybe potheads smoke big joints while playing with little ponies?
No, no it's about a cartoon. BTW here's a guy actually talking about psychology and bronies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYnrliMXIk

Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM

30,239 posts, read 23,706,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I initially thought this was a joke. Apparently it is not.

My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as 'Bronies' | Underwire | Wired.com

I mean, really, how can full grown men be this way? And the guy isn't even embarrassed apparently to have his name and photo published.
This is not new, it's been going on for awhile now. My question is, however; why do you care what this man likes to do in his spare time? It doesn't hurt anyone.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,572,353 times
some people take fantasy further and dresss up like animals and they are called "furries". Just google them and find out a lot of fascinating things! Some people dress up in costumes and its called "cosplay". some in Japan love anime and they dress up like the anime characters. Some people do s/m and well theres a whole lot of "interesting" things people do for whatever reasons, who knows.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,814,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
... Pegasisters have been pega-hoofing since season one...
Thanks for raining on my pega-parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology