Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 100,310 times

Advertisements

I have severe anxiety and it's ruining my life. I'm always worried about getting into car accidents lately. It's really stressing me out and now I kind of hate driving. How do you guys cope with this without taking medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:47 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
I took meds. It helped. Getting wheened off them now, so far so good.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, exercise seems to help me.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Well first you should figure out what is causing the anxiety. If you are having a lot of personal psychological related problems - tons of stress due to an impossible living situation / relationship / financial worries, etc. Then it is a no-brainer - a psychological issue.

And if that is the case, then anxiety is a reaction to fear. It causes adrenaline to flow in the body. That is from the old cave man days when we were faced with fear, it was because a monster was about to attack us. And that gave us the energy to physically fight the monster - Long story short - work off that excess energy with exercise.

Then also do what you can to change your living situation so the "fear" reaction does not happen in the first place - nip it in the bud! Counseling can help with that if it is an impossible situation.

Also it is possible the anxiety is a reaction to a drug or various drugs you are taking (including over-the-counter medications). Or some physical condition. For that see a regular medical doctor. Or if you are not sure what is causing it, see a regular medical doctor first.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I have relatives with severe anxiety problems. They take meds. Problems: Relative number 1, cannot always afford the meds. When he stops taking the anxiety medicine, it comes back far worse and is coupled with depression. Relative number 2. Meds prevent anxiety. They also prevent energy. She just works, goes home, and goes to bed. If the family wants time with her, they hang out in the bedroom. not sure that is better than having anxiety, but I do not have it so I do not know. I did have an anxiety attack once during a particularly difficult trial (on a weekend at a mall when I should have been working every second instead, but took off a few hours of family time). It hit me like a wave, I froze mid step and could not move. I just stood there frozen for fifteen minutes like one of those flash mob people. Then it went away.

If people with anxiety problems get it like that, I can understand why drugs that sap your energy and your will to do anything might be preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology