Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

Listen I'm 18 i hade this right now i'm thinking about death every second and im afriad to die , just don't stay alone i know it's hard to do anything but do it you will , I'm muslim btw , It's a sign to stop anything bad you was doing and start a new life with god just pray and be a good man , you will be better I think you Have GAD you must go to see a doctor like i did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
A book once suggested that being born is one of the most traumatic events we will ever go through. Fortunately we do not remember it. Being alive and simply struggling through the ups and downs of daily life is a hardship and a struggle in and of itself. Once you grasp being alive as the hard part, you can embrace and accept the thought of eventual death as a natural release. Your energy returns to the universe in a pure state, and you release the self-defeating Ego; you release the pain and the instinctual fight to stay alive in a world that is essentially trying to kill you from the moment you are born into it. To me, death is a return to perfection, and a more pure elemental state within the universe..

If you could learn to accept this, then try to learn some anxiety coping mechanisms. It could be that you have some deeper anxieties that have caused you to fixate on the subject. Try to transfer that focus onto something productive and positive.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
I don't think much about my own aging or death, which is strange because I've witnessed quite a few deaths. But, as of now, it's not something I can plan much for (other than the wills/insurance, basic safety steps). It will happen, so no need to worry about it now. I'm a "live for the moment" kind of person anyway.

When I was ages 6-8, I witnessed my father's slow health decline and death from cancer. He lived at home, with a nurse, for much of this, and I was at his bedside. Perhaps that is why I do not fear death as much. A few things happened shortly after his death that made me believe, unequivocally, in an afterlife and gives me the belief I will see him again. BTW, I am a very logical person, a cynic in many ways, and not a religious zealot. But there are things I can not just explain away, no matter how hard I've tried over the years to make logical sense of it. I've come to accept what I experienced and try to be a better, more loving person because of it. And there are many ways I could be a better person.

After my father's death, I had other hardships and deaths in my life. However, my firsthand understanding of how short life can be has allowed me to live it fearlessly. I have embraced risk and have had many adventures. I want to live my short life to the fullest, without regrets or looking over my shoulder at death. I want to squeeze everything out of this life and not have a passive existence. So I guess I am too busy enjoying life to spend much time worrying about unforeseeable death.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,629 times
Im 16 and im fearing death like its gonna happen tomorrow, when i was younger i used to be the same with the whole death subject and to be honest its the only thing that scares the living christ out of me, ive tried to think about it all in diffrent ways but it seems nothing works and i suppose it does make sense seeing as death is a natural fear in humans so it can drive humans to live but either way i dont want to have this constant feeling of anxiety and certanty that im gonna stop living and im gonna stop thinking and seeing and cease to even exist. this is one of those moments when i really do want to believe in a god or something but i know what i know now and its hard to think otherwise. im not sure what will happen after death but im hoping with every inch of me that it wont come in 70 years becouse i know that i wont be ready then and i know that i want imortality but i also know im not getting imortality nor am i getting to live longer than 70 years so yeah its something that scares the hell out of me becouse its gonna happen sometime and no matter how i try to look at it all i cant seem to shake the anxiety or the feeling that im gonna stop existing, its starting to make me think why i should even bother with being healthy and working towards a future when its all just gonna end anyways. i dunno anymore and to tell you all the truth im tired of this whole death subject completly and just wanna forget about it, its kept me up at nights crying and wishing i was never born, its kept me from eating and drinking at times and even stopped me from wanting to try at anything anymore. if anyone feels like they want to chat feel free to add me on skype or something.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethcreeper View Post
Im 16 and im fearing death like its gonna happen tomorrow, when i was younger i used to be the same with the whole death subject and to be honest its the only thing that scares the living christ out of me, ive tried to think about it all in diffrent ways but it seems nothing works and i suppose it does make sense seeing as death is a natural fear in humans so it can drive humans to live but either way i dont want to have this constant feeling of anxiety and certanty that im gonna stop living and im gonna stop thinking and seeing and cease to even exist. this is one of those moments when i really do want to believe in a god or something but i know what i know now and its hard to think otherwise. im not sure what will happen after death but im hoping with every inch of me that it wont come in 70 years becouse i know that i wont be ready then and i know that i want imortality but i also know im not getting imortality nor am i getting to live longer than 70 years so yeah its something that scares the hell out of me becouse its gonna happen sometime and no matter how i try to look at it all i cant seem to shake the anxiety or the feeling that im gonna stop existing, its starting to make me think why i should even bother with being healthy and working towards a future when its all just gonna end anyways. i dunno anymore and to tell you all the truth im tired of this whole death subject completly and just wanna forget about it, its kept me up at nights crying and wishing i was never born, its kept me from eating and drinking at times and even stopped me from wanting to try at anything anymore. if anyone feels like they want to chat feel free to add me on skype or something.
I think what you are having is an existential crisis. For some, the knowledge of death hits hard when they are young. For others, it isn't as big a burden. But for you it is an awareness of the transience of your own life. We all come to an understanding of this, in our own ways. So, your awareness of it, and the fear it causes you, is not abnormal or unusual.

Not sure about how you know you will die at age 70. None of us know when we will die. And immortality is not that great. Great age is a burden. People who live into their nineties often are uncomfortable, sick, and losing memories. Their care is hard and aging alone is lonely. No one gets old along with you. This is an experience that you have by yourself, even if you have good relationships with family or other old friends. And you lose friends and family every year to deaths. You really don't want to be immortal.

My mother once told me that death is a part of life. And while I don't think death is a part of life--the two are antithetical--I get what she meant. Dying is part of the human experience. So, have a human experience! Have a life that gives you joy, have experiences that give you insight, or physical thrills, or deep meaning. The point is, to have that human experience so that when you die, you will have fully lived.

There is something therapeutic in doing a good deed several times a week. Just today someone did a very kind thing for me. I am so grateful! And I know that this person will be happy because she did. If you can get out of yourself long enough to do a kind thing, you will help to relieve some of your anxiety.

I want to encourage you to seek comfort and meaning in your religious heritage. Even if you don't believe now, you might be surprised at how you can find meaning for yourself there. And possibly comfort.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
There are so many ways to respond to this subject matter.

On a spiritual basis I'd say there is no such thing as death. Change YES! Everyday brings change in mind and body and hopefully learning/self-awareness.

You are not your body, nor your mind, yet the two meet to carry you through life. Life is the stream of your Being. Always moving, constantly changing. To try to hold onto a second is like holding your breath. It can't be done for long. You'll pass out and wake up. The second has passed and still you are here....
This is pretty much how I see it.

Sometimes I get to overthinking my own death. There's a saying,
"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it
happens."

I have found recalling the positive accounts of NDEs inspiring.
Ultimately, I do believe that what we call "death" is more like
"molting". We ourselves don't stop living – we just shed our bodies
and either acquire new ones (reincarnate) and/or chill, up in the
heavenlies, for a spell.

–

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,629 times
thanks for the reply but honestly nothing helps no matter how i look at it nor what i read will help, i try to believe theres a afterlife or something but i cant and its eating me out inside and its scaring me to the point of losing so much sleep and crying so much. not sure how anyone can help but thank you for trying.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
'Man should never fear death, but rather fear never beginning to live'

Marcus Aurelius - 180 AD

Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethcreeper View Post
thanks for the reply but honestly nothing helps no matter how i look at it nor what i read will help, i try to believe theres a afterlife or something but i cant and its eating me out inside and its scaring me to the point of losing so much sleep and crying so much. not sure how anyone can help but thank you for trying.
If you are having a severe emotional crisis, please seek help to relieve your distress.

And remember, it is usually how you think about something that makes you happy or miseaable.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Where is the hope? In what do you place your hope? Any of us?

There is so much wisdom in scripture if we weren't too lazy to read. There are so many different versions. We recently discovered one paraphrase in Pidgeon. Too funny!! You know the Bible is full of stories. Exciting, scary, funny, romantic stories. 66 books full of stories. And it's alive. It will meet you right where you are. And it gives hope. I challenge you to pick it up.

We are not to fear death. It's like a child having to walk across a board that stretches over a raging river. The child is alone and afraid. They don't have faith or trust in themselves to get across safely. Look at all the bad things that could happen. But if the child's father picked him up and carried him safely wrapped up in his big strong arms and walked surely across to the other side, the child would not fear. That's what God can do for you.

That's where the hope is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology