U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM

505 posts, read 449,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
First of all, I fear death. I fear it like the plague. I imagined I'd be over it when I'm older and everything and I still imagine I'd come to terms with it sometime in the future but my feelings and the dread of my own mortality keeps coming up. I try to meditate every once in a while but the thought that I'm going to stop breathing and that I'm no longer going to be conscious or anything like that keeps popping into my head. That state basically fills me with dread (excuse the rhyme).

My 29th birthday was this March. The thought of turning 30 kind of scares me because it's like a point of no return in my life. I'm never going to get any of the years that have already passed back and when I think of my age I imagine myself growing into an old man. Then I imagine me on my death bed. It scares me.

I have a basic idea about what many different religions say. Judeo-Christian belief systems say good people go to heaven after they die. Buddhism and other Eastern religions say people will be reincarnated all that other stuff. I'm not worried too much about what happens after I die. I'm afraid of the thing in between. The experience of death itself and the time between me being sick or too old to move and the time I stop breathing.

I've tried to live my life as best as I can and not think of dying but sometimes, when I'm alone, those thoughts about my own mortality and what will happen at that point come about.

Is there any advice that you could give or is this one of those "I'm overreacting" types of things?
This seems to be popping up over quite a few forums lately.
God tells us about the existance of many unclean spirits able to influence our phyical realm, one of which is the spirit of fear. Your mind is imprisoned in fear. Richard Lovelace wrote: "stone walls do not a prison make; nor iron bars a cage."
"For God hath not given us a sprit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim. 1:7
Fear is possibly the greatest tool evil uses against man. You are not alone. God is the answer.

Some of the manifestations of the spirit of fear are:
1. fear
2. fright
3. torment
4. horror
5. trembling
6. dread
7. FEAR OF DEATH
8. faithlessness
9. terror
10. nightmares
11. apprehension
12. anxiety
13. worry and
14 phobias

Are you born-again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,469,290 times
Why fear death? If you're alive, you're not dead, and if you're dead, you won't be around to worry about it anymore. In any event, the Universe was around for about 13.7 years before you showed up. That that wasn't so bad, was it?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM

3,719 posts, read 4,120,965 times
I went through a stage like that when I was 19. I went to a psychic to talk about it (I was young and naive). She did a tarot card reading on me. Told me to write my problem on paper and then pick a card. I picked the card of death! That totally freaked me out.

In the nearly three decades since then I rarely think of death. I totally got over that fear. At this point I don't care that much anymore, I guess I'll pick life but I don't think it's that great to worry about it. I suspect you can get over this fear to if you want...just give it time. Try to get involved with activities you enjoy to get your mind off of it.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM

7,927 posts, read 8,725,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I went through a stage like that when I was 19. I went to a psychic to talk about it (I was young and naive). She did a tarot card reading on me. Told me to write my problem on paper and then pick a card. I picked the card of death! That totally freaked me out.

In the nearly three decades since then I rarely think of death. I totally got over that fear. At this point I don't care that much anymore, I guess I'll pick life but I don't think it's that great to worry about it. I suspect you can get over this fear to if you want...just give it time. Try to get involved with activities you enjoy to get your mind off of it.
I believe that the older we get the more we finally accept the fact that our time on earth is limited. I used to do in home health care, mostly with terminally ill seniors. By the time their 'time came' they were more than ready for it. They had gone through the stages of anger, bargaining, etc. and, finally, came to acceptance. Even my dad was always saying he was "ready to go" but when you don't have a quality life I can see it being easier as well. The only person I have ever known who was truly terrified of dying was an aunt. I often wonder how she felt just before she actually did die. I felt sorry for her because she was so terrified. I also wondered how much of her fear was based on feelings of guilt for how she treated people and things she did in her life.

I think I've accepted the fact that I will die one day. I don't WANT to, of course, because I'm too curious about what tomorrow will bring.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,006,539 times
Default get a grip

life is to be enjoyed ,not to be spent all your waking hours worrying about death. get a hobby, thats a very good distraction.create something, like a painting, sculpture, or furniture,Its nice knowing that something I created will live on after I die.Do volunteer work,have kids, they will live on long after you're dead, and they will keep their memories of you alive.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM

1,835 posts, read 1,659,561 times
We fear the things we don't understand. I have spent some time meditating on death, reading about death watching videos and films on the subject of end of life from the views of science and medicine, and have witnessed it and even been its cause a number of times. After some time on this subject I have pretty much come to terms with it.

Death is a very natural thing. Everything dies. Since it is a natural process I don't think that when it comes it will be so bad. Most old people and animals almost seem to welcome it when the time comes. But the young have a strong drive to survive and that is natural as well. So your fear is normal and natural. Because it is not your time yet.

I think part of why so many people today have some much fear about death is because they never see it. It is unfamiliar to most people today since most of us don't raise and kill our food ourselves and most old people die in either a nursing home or hospital out of sight of the young. Sparing young ones the trauma of witnessing death first hand may well be creating even more trauma as they are unable to deal with the concept of their own mortality.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM

6,899 posts, read 12,348,234 times
Life is short. You'll be dead for a very long time.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 21,189 times
I think we all have some fear of death. Im not sure where your obsession with it came from. I can offer advice based on my own experience. I have found aromatherapy to be helpful with ALL emotional issues for self , friends and client as well. Google- "aromatherapy essential oils for obsession" "......(same) for fear" ".....(same) for fear of death"
Make sure they are ESSENTIAL oils (oils distilled from plants). Then ask on site where u order them how to use them. TIP- DO NOT use heat such as those burners w/tealight. Heat destroys many of the healing components of the plant , if not all !

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM

5,534 posts, read 4,090,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Honestly I don't think you have to worry about death. Personally I use to be scared but at this point knowing what I know about technology I am not.

This is why:

With this kind of work going on now, Kurzweil says that by 2024 we'll be adding a year to our life expectancy with every year that passes. "The sense of time will be running in and not running out," he added. "Within 15 years, we will reverse this loss of remaining life expectancy. We will be adding more time than is going by."

Here is a link to a article that goes into more detail on this subject:

Nanotech could make humans immortal by 2040, futurist says - Computerworld

So the key is make it 5-15 years more and you should be ok!
His predictions here in regards to this might be too optimistic, but I agree that we will eventually develop and commercialize a cure to aging.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
Default constantly worrying

I am 60 years old now but have been constantly thinking about my own demise for a long time. My father passed away at the age of 44(when I was 24),and his father passed away at the age of 49. I'm constantly waking up at night in a sweat checking my pulse. It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions on how I can shake this awful feeling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or