U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im sure most people here have gone through periods in where they think they had "bad luck", like you suddenly get fired out of nowhere, your long time boyfriend leaves you for a mutual friend, your cat dies, etcetera (im just saying randonm things here, anything goes).
First we have to determine if these scenarios you list can even be defined as "Bad"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
Partly it may be perception. If you see the bad things, you think you have bad luck. If you see the good things, you may thing you have really good luck. My high school girlfriend dumped me and I was devastated, but then a few years later, she became a lesbian. Was it good luck or bad luck she dumped me? Depends on your perspective. It was certinaly good luck we did not continue dating or get married.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM

6,779 posts, read 7,492,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Partly it may be perception. If you see the bad things, you think you have bad luck. If you see the good things, you may thing you have really good luck. My high school girlfriend dumped me and I was devastated, but then a few years later, she became a lesbian. Was it good luck or bad luck she dumped me? Depends on your perspective. It was certinaly good luck we did not continue dating or get married.

i wouldnt see that as an example of luck , irony perhaps

luck ( good or bad ) is when a person realises an outcome which they had no input into one way or another , getting dumped requires some cause , however irrational

getting hid by a drunk drive is bad luck

driving drunk and getting stopped at a check point by cops is not

being selected to work for cruella deville for the summer as an intern is bad luck

having to stay behind after class because you pegged something at the teacher and got caught is not

Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Ok so someone stole my bike that I bought in a used bike store for $200. Bad luck.

I found a photograph of it and my insurance company determined it was worth $3800. Good luck?

I bought an oriental rug on Ebay for $350. After many years it got dirty (someone tracked mud onto it). When I took it to a rug pace to have it cleaned, they appraised it at $8.500. Good luck! When they cleaned it, it fell apart so much that it was no longer worth anything.

I also bought an antique clock on E-bay before E-bay had pictures. It cost $900 with shipping. It turned out to be quartersawn oak and worth about $4,000. When we moved, it was damaged, but because we were not able to unpack for a year, I did into know it in time to make a claim. Now it does nto work and is worth probably less than I paid.

So whether I have good luck to get a $3800 bike for $200 or bad luck to have it stolen, or good luck to gt the insurance $; and whether it was good luck to get a $4000 clock for $1200 or bad luck to have the movers damage it without my knowing until it was too late to pursue the damage claim; depends on your perspective. Some people in my shoes with these two examples woudl say "Oh I am very lucky." Others woudl say "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"

Getting hit by a drunk driver might be good luck if it forces you out of a job you hate and into a job you end up loving. Or if the drunk hit you just before you drove onto a bridge that was about to collapse. BUt only if your perspective is to see and emphasize the good luck side, rather than the bad luck side.

Win a free vacation to bermuda on a radio station promotion and get robbed and break your arm while there, were you lucky because you got to go to bermuda for vacation or unlucky because you got robbed and broke your arm?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
. . . you suddenly get fired out of nowhere, your long time boyfriend leaves you for a mutual friend, your cat dies, etcetera

Wait a minute. I think I just heard that song on the radio. Do you write Country Western Songs?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM

51,253 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Im sure most people here have gone through periods in where they think they had "bad luck", like you suddenly get fired out of nowhere, your long time boyfriend leaves you for a mutual friend, your cat dies, etcetera (im just saying randonm things here, anything goes).
I know i have, not those things in particular, but bad things all at one time, that make you think "damn, how can i be having such bad luck?"

Anyways, i ve read and hear everywhere that "Luck" doesnt actually exist and you are the one that creates your own luck, you know, having the right attitude, seeing the positive in everything, yada yada yada. Good luck or bad luck do not exist, people 100% construct their destiny.

This makes sense, but then, how do you explain those extremes situations in where, i dont know, someone is walking down the street and a balcony falls down and kill them (seen it in the newspaper) or an air conditioning from a random house falls down and kill them, you get the picture. Those situations in where theres one particular person that seems to get the 1 in 10 millons odd of something going wrong, isnt that bad luck???

And also, how about the other way around, someone walking and stubmling upon millons of dollars, or being in the right place in the right time just by chance or winning billons in the lottery, isnt that good luck?

What do you think about this?

I know it's not logical or scientific, but I do belief that there are periods of "bad" and "good" luck.

Recent example: I play the lottery regularly--superior readers please spare me the 'yulk yulk yulk, lottery is a tax on the stupid' schtick. I choose to play $1 per day on the state's Cash 5 lottery. It's a form of entertainment and hope for me--you don't win millions, you win tens of thousands, and the possibility, though still small, that you could win is bigger than the mega-bucks games.

I've rarely won. Sometimes get three numbers - $8, $11.

I'm also in a work group that's been playing the NYS lottery for years. The deal is that every biweekly payday, we put in $6. That's 2 drawings a week at $1 a week, and the extra $2 goes into a pool and every couple of months or whatever--I don't even remember--someone's name is drawn and they get the cash pool. I hadn't won the cash pool in a few years.

So about two months ago, the woman who runs the lottery/pool calls me because my name was drawn and I'd won $157. THE NEXT DAY, four of my numbers were drawn on the NJ Cash 5. I won $402. Call me crazy, but I felt as though my "good-luck window" was open, and so I decided that Sunday to drive down to Atlantic City, about an hour and a half for me. I get there maybe once a year. I sat at a Let-It-Ride table and played for a while and won $150, then I went home. That was it--within the course of about 5 days, I won over $700 before "the window" closed.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC52 View Post
I think you do have to create a bit of your own luck with positive thinking.
That's not what creates luck. More likely, you will be lucky if you plan ahead, make preparations, learn whom to trust, don't burn your bridges, things like that.

Arnold Palmer once replied to a question about sinking a long, "lucky" putt. "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

However, it is true that, in retrospect, some people have benefited more from random and unpredictable events than others, even averaged out over a lifetime. Such benefits define "luck".

Old 06-14-2014, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have found and believe that certain people tend to have extreme luck good and bad, while most people just have average luck. I tend to be one of the former. People are amazed that the bizzarre things I have happen to me and around me. In fact, many people think I just make it up when I tell them, at least until six other people who were there confirm it. Being around me tends to be risky, but rarely boring. Not that i am any less boring than others (probably more so), but I just have oddball things happen to me ll the time. .
Oddball things like what? please elaborate. Thanks. I just need to know if anyone is going through what I am and I need to have some understanding.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,736,305 times
There is definitely such a thing as bad luck. Believe me. Had bad luck for about 20 years. Now I am having good luck. Hope it stays that way, LOL!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:30 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,055,111 times
While I don't know if people can "make" their own luck, I am positive that many people make decisions that leave them more vulnerable to "bad luck" when it comes along.

A lot of things that people claim to be just bad luck really seem to be directly related to choices they've made in life.

--The person who gets fired from a job because he didn't go in when his car broke down. I tend to ask, has he taken care of his car? Why didn't he have AAA? Did he really get fired for being absent ONE DAY? that's not likely; it's more likely that he already showed a pattern in attendance, and this one day was the last straw.

--The person who always gets treated badly by romantic partners. I ask, how does she keep choosing these partners? Were there warning signs that she ignored or didn't see? What about her own personality is making it "okay" for guys to treat her so badly?

--The person who is being foreclosed on for not paying the mortgage. I tend to wonder, what did he spend his money on? Why didn't he have an emergency fund?

Very few bad things really happen to people that are just totally random and 100% unavoidable. You might even look at the "struck by lightning" thing and wonder, "why was she standing out in an open field holding a metal stick in the first place?"

I think we can do MANY things to help insulate ourselves against "bad luck." Be wary of people who display certain kinds of behavior. Buy insurance. Keep your personal info secure. Have a back-up plan for everything. Get AAA or some other roadside assistance. Don't take unnecessary risks. Have an emergency fund. Take at least basic care of your health, car, and house.

I think "bad luck" is always out there, like rain. When you carry an umbrella, keep an eye on the weather reports, and bring extra shoes with you, you can avoid most of the inconvenience of the "rain."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or