Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Do you sincerely mourn for those killed in Boston and Western TX?

The first thing that struck me was the "sincerely" mourn, and I wondered what insincere mourning might be....maybe just pretending to be affected. But anyway, guess that is a different thread.

No, I would not say that my feelings were what I would describe as mourning. The events were horrible, shocking...but that has nothing to do with mourning. Among my reactions were thoughts of how parents and relatives must be stunned and how terrible that would be for them....but I don't consider that mourning.

When these events would cross my mind, or I would see something on the news, my reaction was a flash of depression, gloom, but not the pain of personal loss or grief.

9/11 as I watched it unfold brought up feelings much closer to grief almost immediately, probably because I had lived in Manhattan for forty plus years. But it was when I saw those tiny figures falling into space from the upper floors, realizing that they had in all likelihood thrown themselves out...I was sick to death with pain, in the case of those people it was only too easy to fit into their terror and despair. And for days and days I felt wretched for those particular people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I will.
It made me mad that the kid died.
That's effed up.
It made me mad that this kind of crap can happen anywhere - even a nonpolitical venue.

As for the West, TX (not western Texas, op) thing...I know and work with firefighters. Dying in the line of duty is always a possibility. I'm proud of the guys who ran in to do the right thing.

So not mourning but anger and resignment more than anything.
I did get annoyed with the media when the younger bomber was painted as a normal kid who was influenced by his older brother. Did people forget he was the one who put the bomb right next to at least two children? One who died and his sister who ended up with amputations? People sometimes just watch the melodrama of the news who loved to make a story out of anything and just forget the basic facts. Both of the bombers were psychopaths who should have been aborted by their psychopath mother.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Well you must have a heart if you have a pulse and are typing that

Now, the real question is are do you have psychopathic tendencies? Maybe or maybe not.

One thing is hearing 10 people died in x tragedy and another thing is seeing the actual people suffering, the surviving family crying and videos of the diseased in happier times. If you watch the latter and feel no sadness at all chances are you have a psychopath. It is not normal not to feel empathy even when you don't know the subjects. Many psychopaths don't turn into cold blooded serial killers. The latest studies seem to indicate that growing up in a good nurturing environment can make psychopaths productive members of society.
Do you like to practice medicine without a license?

You made a "diagnosis" online rather judgmentally and without knowledge. I dont think the state licensing dept would appreciate your doing that.

That said, everyone has things in their life that make them happy or sad. If someone does not feel empathy or sadness at a certain event, it does not necessarily make them a sociopath. Everyone deals with tragedies differently and should not be determined by a bunch of faceless strangers on the internet as a psychopath or sociopath. That can only be done in the doctor's office on a face-to-face basis, NOT by someone like you, who has no clue who or what I or others am in real life.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
yes, but I prayed for the families remaining who had lost loved ones....you can always replace material things, but you can never replace a life...so I hope and pray for strengh for them.

although I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to walk back to what was once your home, which is nothing but a pile of sticks...and life as you knew it, is gone....where do you go, what do you eat or drink, wash? Awful, simply awful....

Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
This thread is a survey to see if the attacks had the desired results, and how they can do better next time.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Do you like to practice medicine without a license?

You made a "diagnosis" online rather judgmentally and without knowledge. I dont think the state licensing dept would appreciate your doing that.

That said, everyone has things in their life that make them happy or sad. If someone does not feel empathy or sadness at a certain event, it does not necessarily make them a sociopath. Everyone deals with tragedies differently and should not be determined by a bunch of faceless strangers on the internet as a psychopath or sociopath. That can only be done in the doctor's office on a face-to-face basis, NOT by someone like you, who has no clue who or what I or others am in real life.
While I agree that you can't make snap diagnoses about people you don't know, he wasn't referring to the people "out there" who feel or don't feel sympathy. He was referring to the two people who placed the bomb where they did that killed and maimed innocents. He wasn't talking about you either...

They may or may not be socio/psychopaths, but wouldn't you agree that something in their heads was tweeked in a way that made them not care that the outcome was deadly?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
God bless all the people who have been wrongfully killed, they're in a better place now. Amen.
Would you volunteer to trade places with them right now?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Would you volunteer to trade places with them right now?
Can't be all that bad, nobody ever comes back to bitc# right?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Can't be all that bad, nobody ever comes back to bitc# right?
You've got a point there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology