U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM

20,456 posts, read 15,369,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The Internet is full of people saying that they are praying for the family and friends of the people killed or injured in the Boston Terror Attack and the accident that caused the fire that killed or injured 100s of people in Western, TX. I wonder if their emotions are real.

In my experience most people really don't care what happens to anyone outside of a small group of family and very close friends. They just strike it up to the human experience.

While these two events take up the media's time I suspect that there were thousands of people all over the world killed, or tortured all over the world.

Psychologically is there something wrong with people who really don't care about Boston or Western TX all that much and just write it off as life and death on the planet earth
OP, the number of people who ran TOWARDS the victims immediately right after the bomb went off, not knowing if there would be more explosions, not knowing if it was safe, only knowing that people needed help should have been all you needed to answer your question.

YES, people out there DO actually, genuinely care about others even if they don't know them.

Is there something wrong with people who don't care? They appear to lack compassion and empathy, so yes, I think there is something wrong with them.

One thing that was stated during all of this is that for these terrorists, it's much easier for them to kill people they don't know. They also lack compassion and empathy.

Before anyone goes off in to, "lack of comprehension" land and starts foaming at the mouth, I'm not saying every single person who lacks compassion and empathy is a terrorist or would be, I'm saying, I do think that something is wrong with someone who lacks these traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,505,622 times
Default Do you sincerely mourn for those killed in Boston and Western TX?

I mourn for the families of those who have been killed in the tragedies as well as for the lives of those who have been irreparably changed because of it (i.e. those who were injured horribly). I don't mourn for those who were killed because they're dead, and to die (instantly) when these kinds of things happen is in my mind comparatively easy. There is no horrifying, senseless tragedy except for those who are left behind.

Hardly a day passes when I do not grieve for these people and families as well as for the other tragedies which have happened (because I'm human and have a memory which fades over time, the more recent ones stand out more in my mind like those whose lives have been irreparably changed in the theater shooting. I can't let go of these things; they are near to my mind and heart so often. The world is such a terrible, senseless place; I cannot understand how so many people find it fulfilling. Perhaps because such a thing hasn't happened to them, I'm not sure, maybe that is a callous thing to say. There is no reason why such a thing shouldn't happen to me; I cannot find much capacity for joy and laughter when lives are senselessly torn apart, and I don't know why such things happen to some people and others are spared of it. It doesn't make any sense. I just feel that I don't deserve, and I cannot feel, worldly fulfillment when other's lives are senselessly ruined).

Old 04-20-2013, 12:46 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,970,791 times
Just curious - Does anyone know of any Imam's or top Muslim leaders in this country holding a
ceremony or vigil to condemn these acts and express mourning or sorrow for the victims ?
Just asking........

Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,381,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Just curious - Does anyone know of any Imam's or top Muslim leaders in this country holding a
ceremony or vigil to condemn these acts and express mourning or sorrow for the victims ?
Just asking........
If he(a Imam) does he probably is a FBI employee.

Suspects Says FBI Was In Contact With Her Son For Years

Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 PM

None of us like to see human suffering and dying. But dieing happens to humans of all ages every day. It seems only to really bother those who do not believe that there is anything after death. Those folks want to live forever.

Focus on meeting and helping your neighbors. That's about your real boundary's. But people want to be "safe" so they close themselves off to different opinions, and argue their beliefs, rather than listen to another's with reasoning.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,301,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
In this civilized society, it's supposed to be basic courtesy to show some sympathy and pray for the victims.
Having looks at all the available footage of the holocaust of Jews and other during WW2...then viewing the horrors of 9 11 which most still can't get their heads around...then hearing about this...You get discouraged. You get a sense of hopelessness and a loss of faith in humanity and then you just get numb. I feel numb. If I were to start crying, I would fall to the ground and drown in my own tears. I am not going to do that...because if I let go of my feelings I would never stop weeping...as for praying for the victims..it's to late.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
If he(a Imam) does he probably is a FBI employee.

Suspects Says FBI Was In Contact With Her Son For Years
I know, its a vast FBI conspiracy. How many G-Men Imams do you know ?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
None of us like to see human suffering and dying. But dieing happens to humans of all ages every day. It seems only to really bother those who do not believe that there is anything after death. Those folks want to live forever.

Focus on meeting and helping your neighbors. That's about your real boundary's. But people want to be "safe" so they close themselves off to different opinions, and argue their beliefs, rather than listen to another's with reasoning.
Free will and choice doesn't matter, huh? I do not believe they chose to die but they had that choice removed by another who swore allegiance to the USA in 2002 when they became a citizen. I think the victims deserve our "Focus" right now and I am sure their families could use some of that help you espouse so much.

It appears to me the one arguing her beliefs and living in denial about her killer son is his mother. You can rationalize anything, but where does it get you ?

Fearing death is a natural instinct of most people who love life. It doesn't mean they want to live forever.
They usually live a life of love and joy rather than hate and despair. Which implies they are helpers and givers as well as contributing members of our society. Unlike the perps who sucked off the syytem and then chose to kill 2 women and an 8 year old child as well a cop with a wife and family.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I know, its a vast FBI conspiracy. How many G-Men Imams do you know ?
It was reported on CBS news(from a different source not the mother) also, but not for very long. It's really isn't a huge secret that Tim McVey was also working with the FBI.

Me, I don't believe anyone, as it matters little within my family. People have been born and died before, so I just focus on what is important to my family and close friends. If we all did that instead of stepping on other to gain a advantage in this screwed up system, we would all benefit more. Point, when the economy is good, and people are working plus making enough to have some spare cash, to take vacations, crime drops. But when the greedy Gordon Gecko types start sucking all the profits for themselves, and the people are out of work, or working two jobs to have what they had all bets are off. Try as they may to control human emotions with the TV and anti-depressant drugs it fails. People start doing very bizarre stuff.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,301,740 times
Some one else put it clearly that thousands daily suffer the fate of what happened in Boston...where do we start morning and when does the morning end? It might be accurate that many of us are in a constant state of morning for the world in general...I think that is what might be going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology