Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM

164 posts, read 197,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I read an article about the use of Therapy Dogs" at the hospitals for the victims. I offer kudos to those people and to the Dogs. What a great way to manifest compassion.

You can attack me for not having compassion, but I just don't choose to get selectively outraged at life. People will die, naturally and by the hands of others. I cannot change that, nor was anyone I know affected.

I think that people that selectively choose to display compassion when they are told to (media/govt says this is huge deal) and other times do not.

So, who is more 'sick' in their actions. One who 'shows' no compassion to random people all the time, or people who only show compassion when they are compelled/told to?

I bet 5% of the people who tweeted, made phone calls, posted, etc showed the same level of 'compassion' towards the avalanche victims (which is much more near and dear to me being a snowboarder and lover of Colorado than Boston Marathon) yet no one even mentions that hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I found the outpouring of 'thoughts and prayers' BS on Facebook to be annoying. It's easy to post updates on social media to make yourself look caring and compassionate but until you stump up and donate blood or money, it's all empty rhetoric.

I didn't blow up my FB wall with "remember this" or "thoughts and prayers"; rather I donated money and blood.

Do I care? Not the same way that I care about people I actually know. I feel sad for the victims and their families, though.
^^^This! It would have been disingenuous of me to share, like, like, like, whatever to all the rhetoric. I don't mourn as I would for a friend or family member, I've mourned plenty. I feel sad and somewhat mad.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
Yes, I do feel terrible when I hear about tragedies.

I think about the people and how they are dealing with their loss, how their world has changed. Yes, I am aware that people die everyday and if I really sat down to grieve for each person, I'd be spending every minute suffering for others. But with that logic, I'd really never do much at all. Just because I can't influence everyone in this world positively doesn't mean I should just stop altogether.

It's heartwarming to see how others step up to help their neighbors. When everyone lends a helping hand to others, then yes, we aren't hopeless.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Some have labeled facebook, fakebook, its really a more appropriate name for it. Some people really care and continue to think of victims of this and other terrible crimes long after the fact. Others its more like turning the page of the newspaper. Locally, I think most people will have the bombing on their minds for a long time to come. I don't know why people continue to compare tragedies to begin with. While they are different, they are the same, as people have died and families are hurting. No one mentioned the couple people, killed in the recent Midwest floods. Look how many years we saw body after of body come back from that long Iraq war. If everyone had been in marches across the country, demanded we get out. But most did nothing and came back dead or wounded in one way or another.

You will be selectively outraged if it happens to you. And you think everyone is a brainless moron that only is outraged when told to be? Well you keep on being cold and compassionless, you better just hope you never need a hand. Those that have zero compassion are a large part of the problem, they do nothing for others, but scream the loudest when they need compassion. Honestly, I'm sickened by cold hearted people and phonies.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Honestly? I am sorry that it happened and I am sorry for the families and friends of those involved in the tragedies but beyond that, people die and people are suffering all the time. They sensationalize this on the internet and it does more harm than good. They encourage other nut cases to step up and be "famous" or a martyr for some insane cause in their head. They just drown people with the photos and videos and I can't imagine being someone that lost a loved one and having to be bathed in the tragedy again and again. There are very dangerous areas in our country where death isn't glorified all over the news and it happens on a regular basis.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
In this civilized society, it's supposed to be basic courtesy to show some sympathy and pray for the victims.
That's not possible. If that was true, you would need to feel sympathy and pray for victims 24/7. How many people in the US alone were killed, raped, abused, or molested last night?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
You can attack me for not having compassion, but I just don't choose to get selectively outraged at life. People will die, naturally and by the hands of others. I cannot change that, nor was anyone I know affected.

I think that people that selectively choose to display compassion when they are told to (media/govt says this is huge deal) and other times do not.

So, who is more 'sick' in their actions. One who 'shows' no compassion to random people all the time, or people who only show compassion when they are compelled/told to?

I bet 5% of the people who tweeted, made phone calls, posted, etc showed the same level of 'compassion' towards the avalanche victims (which is much more near and dear to me being a snowboarder and lover of Colorado than Boston Marathon) yet no one even mentions that hypocrisy.
Next time a snowboarder gets hurt they can send a therapy dog to visit.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I don't think people actually "mourn" the deaths of others they don't personally have a relationship with. However, anyone can feel a sense of deep sadness and compassion and sorrow for what occurred . . . and for the families left behind.

I think when people stop to have a candlelight vigil or to pray . . . that is a sincere act and they are hoping the families will feel some comfort from fellow human beings, even if they don't personally know the victims.

Studies show that when we hear details of tragedies, we can feel traumatized by them. The human spirit is capable of that much empathy. So although I am not sure if the word "mourn" is exactly the right word . . . I do believe people often feel deep emotion, sympathy, compassion and sadness when they learn of untimely deaths, even when they don't know the victims or their families.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think people actually "mourn" the deaths of others they don't personally have a relationship with. However, anyone can feel a sense of deep sadness and compassion and sorrow for what occurred . . . and for the families left behind.

I think when people stop to have a candlelight vigil or to pray . . . that is a sincere act and they are hoping the families will feel some comfort from fellow human beings, even if they don't personally know the victims.

Studies show that when we hear details of tragedies, we can feel traumatized by them. The human spirit is capable of that much empathy. So although I am not sure if the word "mourn" is exactly the right word . . . I do believe people often feel deep emotion, sympathy, compassion and sadness when they learn of untimely deaths, even when they don't know the victims or their families.
Great post.

I think about things they are going to miss out on. And I always, always think of this: When they tied their shoes that morning, they had no clue that was the last time they would do that. For some reason, I always think of that.

Alright, this might get me flamed but it's because I'm not sure how to word it:

It is terrible that an 8 year old was killed in this bombing...little guy only got 8 years on this earth. I do want to know why, however, the media practically ignores the other two who were killed? The most I've seen is their photo. Why does the media constantly go on about the 8 year old but not the two others? They were also young and had a full life ahead of them. Yes, they were adults, or look like they were but is it not horrible that they also died?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Great post.

I think about things they are going to miss out on. And I always, always think of this: When they tied their shoes that morning, they had no clue that was the last time they would do that. For some reason, I always think of that.

Alright, this might get me flamed but it's because I'm not sure how to word it:

It is terrible that an 8 year old was killed in this bombing...little guy only got 8 years on this earth. I do want to know why, however, the media practically ignores the other two who were killed? The most I've seen is their photo. Why does the media constantly go on about the 8 year old but not the two others? They were also young and had a full life ahead of them. Yes, they were adults, or look like they were but is it not horrible that they also died?
A mere decade or so apart, maybe even two but you are right. Would love to see even a 3to1 ratio of coverage time for the victims.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology