U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 PM

318 posts, read 453,610 times

Advertisements

The Internet is full of people saying that they are praying for the family and friends of the people killed or injured in the Boston Terror Attack and the accident that caused the fire that killed or injured 100s of people in Western, TX. I wonder if their emotions are real.

In my experience most people really don't care what happens to anyone outside of a small group of family and very close friends. They just strike it up to the human experience.

While these two events take up the media's time I suspect that there were thousands of people all over the world killed, or tortured all over the world.

Psychologically is there something wrong with people who really don't care about Boston or Western TX all that much and just write it off as life and death on the planet earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM

6,661 posts, read 11,577,828 times
I don't think prayer does any good -- the people died already. But then, I don't believe in a micro-managing G-d. Those that do, also seem to believe that everything is preordained, so prayer shouldn't work anyway.

But I must say I find your question really bizarre. I don't "care" about the people in Boston in the same way that I "care" about, say, my mom or my sister (both of whom I am close to), but I DO care that they were murdered in an utterly senseless way. I also feel sad that they did not get to live long and fulfilling lives, and I feel bad for their loved ones who are grieving. You CAN have compassion for people that you don't personally know. What a sad world it would be if that were not the case.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM

318 posts, read 453,610 times
So you don't like my question. MMMM! I doubt most people care as much as you do. Most people really don't care, they just live in their own little world. Agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't think prayer does any good -- the people died already. But then, I don't believe in a micro-managing G-d. Those that do, also seem to believe that everything is preordained, so prayer shouldn't work anyway.

But I must say I find your question really bizarre. I don't "care" about the people in Boston in the same way that I "care" about, say, my mom or my sister (both of whom I am close to), but I DO care that they were murdered in an utterly senseless way. I also feel sad that they did not get to live long and fulfilling lives, and I feel bad for their loved ones who are grieving. You CAN have compassion for people that you don't personally know. What a sad world it would be if that were not the case.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM

6,661 posts, read 11,577,828 times
Um, I answered your question. You focused on one line that said I found your question bizarre, but you ignored the rest of what I wrote. I have no clue as to why you started this thread.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,448,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
In my experience most people really don't care what happens to anyone outside of a small group of family and very close friends. They just strike it up to the human experience.
If you are simply bemoaning that people don't care about anyone but themselves, I can't help you, because you're bemoaning reality as it is.

I have limited time and energy, so yes, you bet that I do triage and spend most of that time and energy on my wife, children, grandchildren, dogs, and of course hopefully myself, and THEN if I have anything left for the wider world and I can figure out how to bestow some TLC beyond the boundaries of my immediate responsibilities without someone taking advantage of my kindness, I do that.

I don't regard this as uncaring; I regard it in this way: if everyone would do the same for their own loved ones, the world would be a pretty nice place.

So, if you're implying that "people suck" I have to disagree with you, particularly if you think they suck because they don't send their life savings to Boston and every other locus of tragedy sufficient to gain media attention.

Some of the intense interest in the "marathon bombings" and the subsequent drama over the capture of the perpetrators is just prurient interest, but a heck of a lot of it is caring and compassion. People wish they could do more, but all most can realistically do is wish that community well and bear witness to their suffering and perhaps learn something from what happened and support, as they are able, causes and policies that will help prevent this kind of thing in the future. I've just been watching the coverage of the capture of the younger bomber and I am rejoicing with the people of Boston in cheering law enforcement for a job well done.

What more would you have people do?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM

4,762 posts, read 10,068,812 times
Actually there are a LOT of caring people out there, although they probably will not be found in any great number in our latest crop of young people.

But plenty of people do care and will help others in need. Look at 911. People from all over the world came out of the woodwork to help. I see this on a small local scale as well. Someone's home burns down and people are there to help the family. (Or whatever.)

Here is a local story for you (one of many)...
Act of kindness: Church replaces woman's stolen tricycle

And another...
Community helps families of Orofino fire victims | KTVB.COM Boise

And another...
Neighborhood Helps Put Out Mobile Home Fire - 8 News NOW

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,056,419 times
I feel similar as Karen. I've shed many tears this past week, but I'm in Boston, so it's close to home. I'm unaware of what really happened in Texas. I don't know the details and didn't realize people were even hurt. I think the farther away something is, the less real it may seem. But, compassion will surface if I stop to consider anyone suffering.

Anyhow, OP, you might enjoy this...

Levels of Compassion and Stress Related to Genetics | Psych Central News

Strangers Spot People With Compassionate Genes in Seconds | Genetic Mutation, Oxytocin Receptor & Empathy | LiveScience

Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM

843 posts, read 1,310,702 times
Honestly, not so much by hearing the news. But I guess things would be different if I witnessed the tragedy live.

By the way, it's not western TX, it's a small town called West,TX near Waco,TX, which is central Texas. West,TX is not West Texas.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,231,144 times
No one is going to answer this question honestly.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM

3,968 posts, read 4,357,763 times
No, I couldn't be arsed about either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology