Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,986,930 times

Advertisements

I see growing angrier with age as a sign that I'm going in the wrong direction. Totally abnormal as I don't consider myself an angry person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 PM

48 posts, read 111,102 times
Angry or cynical?

Definitely more cynical with age seeing all the "promises" I received at a younger age turn into lies.

Yes on anger too, but that's more on the personal side of things.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,389,032 times
I expected this thread to be by someone at least 60. You aren't old enough to ask the question you asked. Being 20 and at the brink of adulthood is plenty scary for many young people. When my son was 20 I commented to him that he was all grown up. When he responded, "almost." I knew he wasn't feeling all grown up. Learning how to relax is something to help. There are many books with instructions. Check what's at the library. You have maybe 60 or 70 years remaining to be old.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,413,216 times
I think an awful lot of folks are angry in today's culture, which is constantly promising riches, fame, happiness, achievement, easy sex, whatever… if we just buy the right pill, car, hi-tech device, or "thing"! So then we blame "society", "lib-ruhls", "conservatives", the "Gubmint", "minorities", "illegals", "gays", "feminazis", etc., simply 'cuz they "ain't like us"! And IMHO, much of that happens whenever our lives become too narrow, limited or otherwise insulated from exposure to new ideas, people, and the 'unexpected'. Although 20-something does sound kinda early to start!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,307,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhearted View Post
I'm nearly 20 and I feel myself growing angrier about everything by the day. Is this normal?
Probably not. You sound like you are letting yourself down. You are a genius at something, and you haven't the slightest clue what that is. You haven't put the time in, haven't invested enough time in yourself. You haven't spent enough time in self-discovery. This has created a void, which you fill by being increasingly frustrated.

This is compounded by your family situation, an unknown factor here. Something is missing. Rather than getting angry and cursing the darkness, which to me is a manifestation of self-disappointment and fear, light and candle. Find yourself and your passion.

You are 20 now, and should be a sophomore in college. If you're not, perhaps you let yourself down, maybe even feel anger because your parents expressed frustration and disappointment. Maybe you feel that you should be doing better, but because of traits your have, you haven't been able to. You have to take control of yourself and your life, rather than getting angry. Anger doesn't change the reality.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

28,981 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In general, no. A lot of times anger comes from being upset about stuff that is beyond your control. You need to put your focus on things you CAN control, and leave the other stuff alone.

What are you angry about?

You might want to try doing this meditation regularly a few times a week to see if it helps:

www.revolutionofspirit.com

I've been doing it for 3 or 4 times a week for a year now and I really notice a difference in how I feel. It's not an instant miracle cure, but the benefits definitely do accrue.

I also recommend reading and implementing the following 2 books in your life:

The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky

and

Happier by Tal Ben Shahar

Both books are based on actual scientifically conducted research regarding what actually works. (Oh, and by the way, regular meditation was one of the methods mentioned in The How of Happiness that works)
I am so guilty of this. Especially in the workplace. I've been in the same career for over 20 years and in the past 6-7 years it has completely changed... and not for the better. I feel stuck, the pay is too good and in reality it is a cushy gig .. it's just that it never used to be a stressful one, it used to be quite fun now it's well it's just a job. I know part of it is the way we do things now goes against everything I stood for. Instead of focusing on doing the best you can it is now "just get it done" , I know I don't like the person I've become in this position.

People with zero common sense bug the hell out of me as well, same with people that think they are entitled to everything. There isn't a thing I can do to change them but I just can't seem to let it go.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 AM

23,099 posts, read 28,825,029 times
At 63, my bouts of anger increase, proportionally, as my patience level continues its downward slide.

And it's the little things that get me riled up the most. The roof caves in, that's a biggy, and I'd be more calm about that. But drop a glass of coke on the kitchen floor, or the coffee on my coffee mug turns cold on me, and I'm on fire!

And, believe me, with my ranting and swearing, I let my immediate neighbors know something horrific has happened to me as well, and I need help! Help!

Just wait 'til the OP turns 50, or 60!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM

993 posts, read 1,554,056 times
I think so, yes.

For you, it's because you're coming to that age where you're smacked in the face with the realities of the world and your responsibilities as an adult.

As you get much older, you'll notice even more changes in your outlook. It's been established that people tend to grow more conservative as they get older, but it's also clear from history that the world stays progressive. So, you're likely to take issue with where you see the world going as you get older, and that may make you angry.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,413,216 times
^ ^ Which probably helps explain why so many of the angry "Tea Party" folks are often of the "senior" persuasion!

Though I also have to agree with earlier comments that increasing comfort as we grow older (and we've usually "acquired" more), can become a sort of "velvet trap", which hinders us from seeking out novelty and any significant change in our lives. After all, we've worked so hard to get to this point in the first place

Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,487,582 times
Pardon me while I ignore all previous posts and just jump to the head of the line.

It is quite normal for SENIORS (aged 60+) to begin expressing the anger they've been suppressing all of their lives. After all, they'd been held in check by their elders, but now they ARE the elders.

To the OP -- you're quite young to be experiencing/expressing this. Though I am not saying you're wrong (Heaven forbid that I should ever say such to anyone), you may wish to consider consulting professional "help" to determine what's going on with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology