Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is written by a professor of photography at a art university after she found herself being publicly mocked for being obese. Her assistant took the photographs of how people react when they see her in public. The picture of the cop is especially inappropriate. It is human nature to give somethng or someone "different" a second look but why do people feel they need to make fun of them, especially adults?

Pictures of people who mock me - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I think it is an interesting experiment. But after looking at the photos in the article on Salon.com and on her website here: Haley Morris-Cafiero Photography

I think the photos can tell a different story than them looking at her. In the one with the cops, I see them just goofing off for the camera, not doing that because of her weight.

A lot of the photos show people in random shots. I have been caught on film with certain faces similar by my camera crazy mother, and I am not mocking anyone in the photos. In fact it is just me in the photos.

The one where she is holding a map, she is probably getting that look because she is pausing in the middle of a busy sidewalk with a huge map open, not because they are judging her size.

Maybe I am lacking sensitivity here, but I really do not see her being judged in the majority of the photos.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Projection on her part

Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
But obviously she does so that is what really matters-to her and others who feel judged by society.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
Weight maybe...combined with being particularly unfortunate in the looks department, style department, approachability, maybe hygiene also Looks like her goal was to look as miserable, pathetic and unkept as possible and snowplow this commutation into people simply reacting to her weight.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I also did not "buy" that these people were looking at her in that way specifically because of her weight. I also agree that the cop was being silly, and probably unprofessional, if he didn't know her, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with her size.

I think that if a person is feeling "judged by society," it's not just a problem that "society" has to change. Sometimes the person needs to change, and I don't mean by changing their weight. When you have a chip on your shoulder, you tend to decide that every bad or ambiguous interpersonal experience happens in reaction to the one thing you're focused on.

I could probably get a similar batch of strangers making strange faces while glancing at me. What could I pin that on? My weight? My color? My ugliness? My devastating good looks? My religion? My personality or behavior? A big rip in the back of my pants? Who knows?

Yes, much of society does judge obese people negatively, no argument there. But this particular example seems to be close to 80% projection.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The girl was probably slapping her belly because the gelato made her hungry. She just wanted some gelato.

It must be tough going around thinking everyone who makes a face in your vicinity is mocking you. Funny thing is, she is not all that big. I see more obese people than her every day. I do not see people around them mocking them constantly. I wonder if they perceive people around them mocking them constantly. Frankly I do not buy her "I am comfortable with my body" I think the problem is inside her. She is not comfortable with her body and therefore perceives that everyone around her is mocking her. She is overweight, but she is not one of those super fat people that make everyone stop and say "H.S.!" In fact her physical condition is not that unusual for Americans. I would think truly fat people who do not think everyone around them is mocking them, might get offended by her article.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Well, I find it funny that she goads people into reacting, then chastises them for acting in that manner?

Even though it's not entirely clear that those people are acting in that manner? Or rather acting on something other than her weight. She's a bit goofy in some of these shots and that's not to do with her weight. In addition to the fact that there's a camera present that's not hidden; makes a difference on how it's interpreted and how people react as well.

Also, she obviously can't help her size but she's not immune to wearing clothes that look presentable or acting in a more natural/normal non-goading way. If she wore decent fitting clothes, and presented herself a bit differently I'm sure you'd have a different outcome.

---

I'm not excusing people's behavior when mocking does happen, I just feel this exercise is a bit inauthentic.

Also culturally Americans are tame when compared to European countries and rules about shaming and mocking.

---

Lastly, put my lonely self on a swing in a crowded park and have someone (or a tripod would be even stranger) take a 100 pictures of me and I dare you to not find of someone looking at me.

I just think when things are inauthentic/or misconstrued that it does a greater disservice to a cause than if you were to take an authentic photo. One candid (an actual Cartier-Bresson type) shot of actual shaming/mocking would have spoke volumes against a few staged shots that may or may not be actual mocking.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I'm not defending anyone being actively cruel to someone for any reason. It seems to me that she is visually evesdropping onto the private expressions of those around her and not liking the fact of the matter that some of them find her to be fat....which she is and their private reactions are not cruel.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-26-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
At the risk of sounding mean, when I look at her picture, I'm not very concerned about her weight at all. What would concern me more is seeing her out by herself without a staff person with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology