Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM

542 posts, read 688,403 times

Advertisements

I sometimes have dreams about my phobias. Some I understand why - I hate flying and in the months leading up to a flight I'll dream about being on a plane. The flight is on my mind, and thus my mind works it over while I'm asleep.

However, I also have a fear of tall trees. I experienced a hurricane when I was a kid, and saw trees fall down around our house. I often have dreams where I'll see tall trees in a windstorm, and sometimes they fall. They don't usually fall toward me or on me; just watching it is scary to me. Where I now live, I don't encounter trees that scare me in my normal routines, and we don't get much wind, either. I don't tend to think of tall trees until I'm dreaming of them again.

Why do you think I might dream of this? I know everyone has scary dreams at times, so is this just normal scary dream stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,317,956 times
Like you said, the flights are on your mind, meaning they are on your conscious mind. This is the part of the mind that has the thoughts that are surfacing into our awareness.

The tall trees and their fear are in a much deeper part of your mind where the thoughts don't surface very often during our awake stage. This is what they call the unconscious mind. It is like a deep cellar in a house where you may have boxed up old memories and not gone down there to look at them in a long time, and you've forgotten half the stuff that's down there boxed up. When we dream, the mind lets these old memories bubble up and take place in our dreams. Most of the time we are not even aware we've had these dreams unless we wake up close to the time we have been dreaming. Then we'll wonder, "Wow, what was that all about?" It's normal.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM

7,569 posts, read 6,017,004 times
Look over this article when u get a chance if you have not already.
http://epublications.marquette.edu/c...ontext=edu_fac

There would be some suggestion, as there has been since Freud and Jung that dreams have validity, and now some psychologists (and new age gurus) are thinking about ways t use dreams as a therapeutic state, I would suggest that for now try to welcome the phobias into your dreams, and use this as a bridge to overcome them.
SO long as you are not awakened by them with night terrors.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,782,648 times
I'm pretty phobic about spiders and centipedes, and I have dreams about them pretty regularly (at least once every 2 weeks or so). Of course in my dreams, they're either huge, or there are hundreds of them. I think our brains just store up what we consider scary, and those images come up in a scary dream.

I know someone who is phobic about snakes, and she dreams about snakes a lot. I don't feel really one way or another about snakes, and I rarely dream of them. She hardly every dreams about centipedes, but she also doesn't really feel strongly about them except they're yicky.
My boyfriend freaks out about anything touching his eyeball, or even seeing someone else touch their eyeball. Forget it if he's around when I put in or take out my lenses. He can't even watch anything on TV that involves surgery on the eye, or any instrument touching an eye. So I'd call that a phobia. He says he dreams a lot about things stabbing him in the eye. I never have such dreams, and I have no eyeball issues.

Think of it like this: the part of your brain in charge of dream imagery is like a props guy in a theater with limited supplies. When a dream calls for "scary thing," he pulls out the same imagery again and again.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 21,827 times
My 2 year old daughter had a nightmare about a worm. She woke up hysterical and refused to get back in bed. After a long struggle she went back to bed but didnt wanna go back to sleep without the light being on. During the day she "sees" worms. At night she refuses to sleep with light off. If I switch light off before shes asleep she goes ballistic. What should I do. Please help.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 21,827 times
My 2 year old daughter had a nightmare about a worm. She woke up hysterical and refused to get back in bed. After a long struggle she went back to bed but didnt wanna go back to sleep without the light being on. During the day she "sees" worms. At night she refuses to sleep with light off. If I switch light off before shes asleep she goes ballistic. What should I do. Please help.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,782,648 times
You need to start your own thread and you might get responses. You just tacked your question (twice) onto an old thread.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,622,442 times
eliminate your fears, and those types of dreams will go away. you can start by learning to direct your dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology