U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 833,840 times

Advertisements

iNtuitives deal with this sort of thing with Sensors…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM

66 posts, read 139,000 times
tl;dr : Personal anecdote. Moral of story: Why do people say introverts need to get out of their shells? If a turtle gets out of his shell, he dies. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a long, long time, I was convinced that my unwillingness to go out and do things with the family, go out to eat, travel with people, etc. was a shameful thing and that I needed to try to fix myself.

Actually going on a trip, for example, but doing it on 'my terms': keeping to myself, bringing my own foods along, etc., felt outright 'sinful' and heinously selfish to me for some reason. Time and time again, I tried doing things normally with family and friends but never 'snapped out' of my reserved nature; it didn't get easier.

Then, (sorry to be sappy here, by the way), I decided to stop trying. I packed up a huge supply of my favorite foods and books, rode to Pensacola beach with my extended family, settled an air mattress in a quiet corner, and gave myself permission to retreat from the group whenever I wanted.

So I played a game or two, went out and played in the water with my younger cousins, watched TV and laughed with people...but also slipped away for long walks on the beach or some time with a book. For the first time since I was a child, I had the time of my life.

Okay...finally: One moment particularly stuck with me: One evening in the beach house, one of my uncles said that he was glad I could join the trip and that he was enjoying my company. I disagreed and remarked that I was an annoyance to travel with, with all my weird routines and aloofness. He replied, "That's just surface stuff; it doesn't matter."

I'll never forget that, and I think I want to take another trip soon!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 AM

15,719 posts, read 22,782,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShadow View Post
Introversion is about whether you are drained or energized by spending time with people or spending time alone, and it's different than social awkwardness or shyness.
Its as simple as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post

Another thing I noticed is the introvert and extrovert issue has caused a sort of line in the sand, "us vs them" mentality that deters understanding from both sides.
Theres confusion about introversion, even among introverts. Its not anti-social disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Who cares what anyone else thinks about your introversion or introversion, in general? So what if there is a "bias?"
Not to be dismissive about the OP concern, he just hasn't reached this stage in life.

Plus introverts internalize.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 AM

262 posts, read 414,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I got this unsigned rep from a poster for a comment I made in another thread.

Not only is this so wrong on so many levels it shows the bias that many introverts deal with and voices the lingering societal sentiment that they can sometimes feel.

There is a lot of negativity associated with introverts and many times introverts need to be assisted or helped and extroverts rarely have to deal with this. I mean how many threads are there of people having problems due to their extroversion? Its the attitude that introverts need to be fixed and people misconstruing the definition of the word. I think the need to help the "less sociable" has mutated to something that does nothing but ridicule and micro analyzing traits and turning them into crippling mental disorders. I feel there are many social expectations and stigma's that make introverts feel "less" and they are put in boxes with those who do suffer from serious mental disorders.

I have said my piece but I open the door to discussion because I feel many times this topic only scratches the surface and don't get deep enough.

I open the door to discussion and debate within the spirit of the forum.

Please, there, their, and they're are NOT interchangeable. Check it out here:

Women's They're There Their Teacher School Funny T Shirt S M L Xl Xxl 5 Colors

teaching people one tee-shirt at a time.......................

Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM

66 posts, read 139,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post

Sorry, coldPlay, but JaybirdX is, in fact, using those words correctly.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 AM

262 posts, read 414,950 times
Default what was I thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
Sorry, coldPlay, but JaybirdX is, in fact, using those words correctly.
yes, I'm reviewing it and wonder what I meant. Sorry about that. Maybe I was overly anxious to show that funny t-shirt link. Sorry Jaybird - my bad. lol

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM

15,719 posts, read 22,782,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post

There's a thread in Writing Forum devoted to proper grammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology