Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,916,573 times

Advertisements

The teaser titles are horribly annoying, and nine times out of ten, do not deliver the punch that was alluded to . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 PM

30,883 posts, read 36,922,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Whenever I come across a post that's just one super-long paragraph, my mind literally says, "Oh, he*l no; I'm not reading that mess! Reading all that would be like having an incoherent/rambling conversation with a meth-head because there are absolutely no breaks in the conversation (paragraph). Next!" I can't do it – I just skip the entire post .
Yes, absolutely. It makes my eyes glaze over when I see huge posts that are one long paragraph.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,465,322 times
Yes, if I go to the originals OP's post and it is really long I think "forget it" and move on. Also I find these posts sometimes that make no sense and I wonder if I am ready English or not, and I leave those along as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM

25,906 posts, read 22,064,218 times
I can't remember where but I just seen the longest one ever today. If a post seems vague, I ask for clarification or suggest clarification in order that they might get a better response. I think anything beyond 10 or 12 lines to start with becomes excessive. Seriously, you would need to study it at length to make a response going back again to see what was said so that you aren't accused of not reading it. An outline of the issue followed by specific questions that the OP is open to probably gets the most useful responses. Wordiness can be an issue.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I lurk at another board....The posters are quite blunt with each other. Lengthy posts are often followed by: "Too long. Didn't read."

Still doesn't stop certain posters from their long-windedness. On and on they go....If I like a poster, I might take a stab at their novel. But when people refuse to use paragraphs, forget it. I just don't have the energy.

I always chuckle to myself every time I see a poster who freely admits that they tried (barely) to read the "novel/novella," but gave up or that they didn't try at all and just moved on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The teaser titles are horribly annoying, and nine times out of ten, do not deliver the punch that was alluded to . . .
Exactly . There are just too many interesting threads on here to waste time on vague/teaser threads that 90% of the time "don't deliver."

Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM

607 posts, read 1,392,687 times
You know how your English teacher always told you to start with a compelling first paragraph to hook the reader in and always start new subjects with paragraphs when she was teaching you about writing? You rolled your eyes then, but guess what? She was right. If that first paragraph doesn't catch my fancy, I'm done. And if it's one big long write-up with no paragraphs? Forgetta 'bout it.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM

747 posts, read 1,680,941 times
I click posts that have titles that interest me. If it has a title that don't concern my interest or I don't really have anything to say on the topic I don't click. I do read long paragraphs if it is something i'm interested in. I don't really judge the way people post...seems kind of silly to worry about long or short paragraphs and if people use paragraphs or not. I try to help when I can but 90% of the time I just give my opinion, advice, or my exp. and move on. I'm generally not a poster that goes back to check the post, to see what others have to say. City data is more of a time waster to me anymore. I tried to get legitimate advice here but quickly realized you can't do that on here. Now CD is just something to post to when i'm bored and all other websites I like have nothing to do on them.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,807,296 times
Yes, I do.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,920,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Whenever I come across a post that's just one super-long paragraph, my mind literally says, "Oh, he*l no; I'm not reading that mess! Reading all that would be like having an incoherent/rambling conversation with a meth-head because there are absolutely no breaks in the conversation (paragraph). Next!" I can't do it – I just skip the entire post .

And when it comes to vague thread titles ("Can't Believe This...," or "Am I Wrong for Doing This?" or "Need Your Advice"), 98.13% of the time I simply refuse to even click on the thread because I think the poster could have spent 5 more minutes coming up with a thread title that actually hinted at what the thread's about: "Married Women – Do You Look at Other Men?" or "I Lied to Him About Him Being the Best Lover I'd Ever Had; Was I Wrong?" or "My Girlfriend Doesn't Like Dirty Talk in Bed; What Should I Do?"
Yes, I usually do. I'm usually only on here before work and during breakfast/lunch/dinner at around 15-30 minute time intervals, so I want to read posts that are easy to read. So my eye will be drawn to shorter posts or those that are broken into easier to read small paragraphs.

Which is why I try to break my own posts into small, easier to read paragraphs not more than a few sentences long. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me; and if it works for me, I'm certain it works for a few other people.

As for thread titles--it has to draw my attention and not be too vague I guess. But I'm not too aware of that as I am of the really long paragraphs without any breaks in them. Another thing I find difficult to read on forums are the posts that have a lot of capital letters in them; I usually will not read these very thoroughly either.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM

29,732 posts, read 34,334,456 times
There are a few posters who seem incapable of responding to anything in less than five lines, which I glaze over. Sometimes things do need some elaboration, but you don't have to write a novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology