Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times

Advertisements

I didn't get a job because the hiring manager thought I was too quiet for the position. And the interview went well over an hour!

How do you explain then I have been doing this kind of job for the past 6 yrs??

I have no issue approaching people I don't know or doing small talks. My friends are usually the ones surprised when I do that, because I'm the quiet one in the group. (Some of them will actually never approach anyone!)

But why do people confuse not being too talkative and being shy around people??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Wow, sorry to hear that.....I would have jumped on hiring you for the job. I like people who are not so aggressive, and more the quiet type...I guess people confuse the two because shy people are usually quiet people...their folly I'd say.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM

588 posts, read 957,473 times
I agree...many people confuse shyness with being quiet. And that's unfortunate. I'm outgoing and, well, not loud but, um...talkative?? LOL! But I have tons of quiet friends. However, only one in our group is shy. The quiet ones are not shy or timid, by any means.
And I'm sorry you didn't get the job.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
It's hard to comment on your experience when I don't know what kind of job you were applying for, but it is true that extroverts tend to hire extroverts and 75% or so of the population are extroverts. It is a burden we introverts live with, just as women accept that society demands they use 246 different makeup and hair care products and men get by with a 5 minute shower with some random soap and quick run of a comb through their hair.

Sometimes you have to rise to the occasion and job interviews are one of those times ... punch through and be all "elbows and a__h_les" if that is what the interviewer is looking for, but then be prepared for the possibility that the corporate culture is really like that and you have to pull it off, day after day, once you have the job, too. If that'd be a problem for you (it would be for me) then maybe this outcome was for the best.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM

588 posts, read 957,473 times
Yeah, I feel sorry for introverts and it's a shame that some have to "play the game" and try to conform just to be accepted into the extrovert's world. Sad to be judged that way.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I didn't get a job because the hiring manager thought I was too quiet for the position. And the interview went well over an hour!

How do you explain then I have been doing this kind of job for the past 6 yrs??

I have no issue approaching people I don't know or doing small talks. My friends are usually the ones surprised when I do that, because I'm the quiet one in the group. (Some of them will actually never approach anyone!)

But why do people confuse not being too talkative and being shy around people??
I have similar issues with my job search at the moment. People testing and acting like I'm a hobo off the street who was handed a professional's resume and told to apply here. Clearly qualify but still fighting against petty excuses. I'm under the impression that they either don't need to hire or have enough choices because I almost get the impression they are more interested in a personality match then someone best fit for the job.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I have similar issues with my job search at the moment. People testing and acting like I'm a hobo off the street who was handed a professional's resume and told to apply here. Clearly qualify but still fighting against petty excuses. I'm under the impression that they either don't need to hire or have enough choices because I almost get the impression they are more interested in a personality match then someone best fit for the job.
As a software developer I find a lot of sexism (not a problem for me since I am a man) and ageism (a problem because I'm an old man). But lest young people think they get off easy, there's a lot of exploitation of inexperienced young people in this business, convincing them to work ridiculous hours, sleep on the floor of their office, in exchange for minimum wage plus (generally worthless) stock options.

But the biggest problem at least in my field is just that most people don't have a clue how to hire that sort of talent, particularly in larger companies where it falls to the human resources people to write an ad, interview, and select or at least narrow it down ... this is where you get ads that read like laundry lists, pimped up with requests for "ten or more years of experience" with technologies that have been around for two years. Beyond a certain point everyone knows you have to lie to get jobs like that because no one could possibly have all the qualifications. It's a huge charade.

The only good thing about it is that my field likes introverts. We even hire people with Asperger's Syndrome because of their laser focus and meticulousness. Maybe the OP is just in the wrong field!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology