Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 AM

480 posts, read 667,905 times

Advertisements

I'm watching a young child (not mine) grow up over the years, and how his parents handled situations. I'm asking parents of older kids to predict what the future might be like.

Birth - parents exhausted, financially broke, not ready for kids
Birth to age 4 - parents continue to be exhausted. Don't have their kid doing many activities, lots of tv watching and staying at home. Mom is struggling with parenthood. Since kid is dependent on mom and dad and not independent, mom is struggling with doing a good job.
Age 5 - 8 - new age of activities. Doing stuff a lot. Making up a lot of stories (i.e., lying) about what their kid is doing. Kid wants to be involved in everything and likes doing lots of stuff. Moms life is 100% revolving around kid and kid drives family to go out and do stuff. Mom and Dad feel they are thriving as parents because the kid can take care of many of own needs.

What would you expect age 9 and up will be like? Soon the family will be in the tween and teen years. Do kids of this age normally still like doing a lot of activities? I expect if the kid gets tired of doing things, or starts to want to do things on his/her own, mom will struggle and not feel role is important in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM

What I'm really wondering - how long until the kid transitions from "I want to do everything" into "I am really picky about what I do and don't want to do".

I know that I decided around 3rd or 4th grade, so I'm thinking the day is coming before too long for them.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
You provide your own experience but what about your kids? You've mentioned you have them. What is your experience with them?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM

My kids are much younger (in the middle of the terrible twos). So I don't have experience for what lies ahead.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Are you talking about family activities or extracurricular type activities. My children never really tired of family type activities like vacations or restaurant trips or whatever.

One always focused on a couple of activities. Which one depended upon the time of year. The other was into everything. At some point in her early high school years we told her she had to decide on one time intensive extracurricular. The second time intensive activity had to be dropped. She still did other things that didn't take a lot of time.

It really depends what the activity is and how competitive the child is in an activity.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM

78 posts, read 53,944 times
In theory, a community-focused person wants to do everything always, but it's just not possible.

If three events all start at 300 PM, you have to pick one. You can't go to all three.

It's not that they're becoming more picky at all.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Much of what tween kids do is shaped by the friends they make as well as the involvement of their parents. By involvement, I mean if the parents are supportive of specific interests and have the financial resources to pay for certain activities and will drive kids to events....

Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Age 5 - 8 - new age of activities. Doing stuff a lot. Making up a lot of stories (i.e., lying) about what their kid is doing. Kid wants to be involved in everything and likes doing lots of stuff. Moms life is 100% revolving around kid and kid drives family to go out and do stuff. Mom and Dad feel they are thriving as parents because the kid can take care of many of own needs.

What would you expect age 9 and up will be like? Soon the family will be in the tween and teen years. Do kids of this age normally still like doing a lot of activities? I expect if the kid gets tired of doing things, or starts to want to do things on his/her own, mom will struggle and not feel role is important in life.
Apparently theres disapproval of this moms parenting style.

How do you conclude the parent lies about the childs activities?

Are you implying she's a helicopter mom?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Much of what tween kids do is shaped by the friends they make as well as the involvement of their parents. By involvement, I mean if the parents are supportive of specific interests and have the financial resources to pay for certain activities and will drive kids to events....
I agree with your first sentence Squirl, it's right on, but I also believe parents can be very involved and supportive of specific interests, etc, without having to put out money or drive kids to events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology