U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,000,464 times

Advertisements

Would any of you say that you experienced great gains in your overall social life after you stopped attending school/college/university? Not necessarily in how much you go out/"party" etc, but in overall quality of relationships, more gratifying experiences, faring better with people in general? Perhaps that as an adult you're given a bit more room to be an individual, and step outside the typical jock/nerd/etc clique mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 AM

22 posts, read 25,124 times
no i think it starts from school life where you meet people and still in the process now.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 AM

10,043 posts, read 9,855,742 times
No.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM

13,695 posts, read 13,632,565 times
Yes. I came out of my shell and actively began seeking out friends and building a social network. I went from having a handful of friends at 22 to having more than I can keep track of at 37. I also made some major changes in how I interacted with the world though.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM

594 posts, read 1,199,263 times
No, when you leave your educational arena, reality sets in, you get on the hamster wheel, usually have a family to support either from home or from work, things get much more complicated and you have much less time to make friends or have a social life. After you hit 40, statistically speaking, your success rate at making friends that stick go down with increasing age. A recent study that was published was very troubling, it involved young adults who agreed to forego the use of their media devices for a week, almost across the board, it was a very negative experience, some of the descriptors includes "isolation, depression, out of touch, going crazy", and some even got suicidal. Using media devices to "socialize" and "stay in touch" will promote social isolation more than anything I believe. It's a sad commentary on our society, we're losing the art of communicating in person and all the benefits that go with that.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,614,326 times
My social life improved a ton after high school. Not right away mind you because I started working when I first got out of school but I started college and transferred to the university and I started having a far better social life than I did in high school.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,449,407 times
My social skills improved. But my social life didn't. But that has to do with my choice of direction in life and not for lack of opportunity.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,049,885 times
No I became more introverted, but I did select better friends and got a better looking GF does that count?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,049,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
No, when you leave your educational arena, reality sets in, you get on the hamster wheel, usually have a family to support either from home or from work, things get much more complicated and you have much less time to make friends or have a social life. After you hit 40, statistically speaking, your success rate at making friends that stick go down with increasing age. A recent study that was published was very troubling, it involved young adults who agreed to forego the use of their media devices for a week, almost across the board, it was a very negative experience, some of the descriptors includes "isolation, depression, out of touch, going crazy", and some even got suicidal. Using media devices to "socialize" and "stay in touch" will promote social isolation more than anything I believe. It's a sad commentary on our society, we're losing the art of communicating in person and all the benefits that go with that.
I agree and respond that the social media is nice because I can choose or not to respond when I want to my post, but yeah it's a problem as a whole.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 PM

10,629 posts, read 4,954,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Would any of you say that you experienced great gains in your overall social life after you stopped attending school/college/university? Not necessarily in how much you go out/"party" etc, but in overall quality of relationships, more gratifying experiences, faring better with people in general? Perhaps that as an adult you're given a bit more room to be an individual, and step outside the typical jock/nerd/etc clique mentality?
My answer is paradoxical.

On the one hand, my social life once I left college dwindled & shrank.
On the other hand, several years later I got a dx for my mental problem
(which helped me understand myself so much better).
It's too bad I didn't have that knowledge while still in school-
yet I'm kinda' relieved, bc. I was spared the stigma of a label.

Could go on, but I'd keep making points & then counterpoints to those-haven't a definitive answer.

Am glad that people weren't using social media back when I was in school (esp. the teen years)-
so at least my faux pas weren't broadcast online for all to make mockery of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or