Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I don't like jazz. I didn't know why I didn't like jazz so while I was in college in the 1970s, I took a class on it. I figured if I learned more about it I might like it better. I got an A in the class (which had required concert attendance) and I still don't like jazz. I'm talking contemporary jazz. It's too musically erratic for me.

I'm a late comer to country music and interestingly (or not) I like the stuff that is more pure country than country with rock overtones. Also, I prefer male country singers although, I'm okay with duets.

I haven't listened to rock in over a decade.

I think the I-Tunes Genius just throws up its hands when I buy music and thinks "Who the bleep knows what to recommend to this one. She's all over the place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know - the popular artists of the day (late fifties, early sixties). I heard these songs on the radio when in the car with my "poor" friends and their families.

To my ears, this music was hick-ish, hill-billy, twangy, unmusical, unlyrical, and kind of dumb (to my ears it would sound like a really ignorant cartoon character with buck teeth laughing in a "Yuk Yuk" kind of toothless, mindless way. I perceived it as very low class (mostly having to do with intelligence level, not money, per se).
When I think of buck teeth I think of Robert Ripley (Ripley's Believe It Or Not) who was known and teased for his buck teeth. He was from San Francisco. He drew cartoons.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
I've never cared for country music. Still, some of the older singers were very good.

Hank Williams (not his son) was one of the best. And IMO is the originator of a lot of what is now country music. If you've never heard him you owe it to you yourself to listen (very carefully} to a couple of his songs.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
^I think it's odd how Hank Williams and his son are so different.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I think it's odd how Hank Williams and his son are so different.
I'm not so sure about that. They were both doing music that was kind of extreme and cutting edge for its day. If HWJr and done music more like his father - music that was decades old, he would have been more traditionalist/conservative than his father was.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not so sure about that. They were both doing music that was kind of extreme and cutting edge for its day. If HWJr and done music more like his father - music that was decades old, he would have been more traditionalist/conservative than his father was.
Hank Williams Jr. is to Hank Williams as Desi Arnaz Jr. is to Desi Arnaz.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't like jazz. I didn't know why I didn't like jazz so while I was in college in the 1970s, I took a class on it. I figured if I learned more about it I might like it better. I got an A in the class (which had required concert attendance) and I still don't like jazz. I'm talking contemporary jazz. It's too musically erratic for me.

I'm a late comer to country music and interestingly (or not) I like the stuff that is more pure country than country with rock overtones. Also, I prefer male country singers although, I'm okay with duets.

I haven't listened to rock in over a decade.

I think the I-Tunes Genius just throws up its hands when I buy music and thinks "Who the bleep knows what to recommend to this one. She's all over the place."
I have a friend, Johnny, who hates jazz, too.

I agree about contemporary jazz, by the way. The beauty of country-western is that I know the notes and lyrics even before they're played. Nothing erratic about that.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I liked country music at one point in my life and then didn't. I'm just like that about a lot of different things.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I have a friend, Johnny, who hates jazz, too.

I agree about contemporary jazz, by the way. The beauty of country-western is that I know the notes and lyrics even before they're played. Nothing erratic about that.
If you understand jazz, it makes perfect sense.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM

203 posts, read 321,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Country music seems to make a lot of people uncomfortable. People often feel the need to go out of the way and make sure to communicate they don't like country music, even when the genre isn't otherwise brought up; often times in online profiles or when answering what kind of music they like, people will provide an answer something similar to "anything but country". I've always thought there's something psychological going on, but I can't quite put my finger on it. People generally don't think much about things they don't like and are simply indifferent to them, that is unless those things bother them somehow - which is a phenomenon we see with homosexuality, fraternities and sororities, jocks, and Nascar. I hope what I mean with that last sentence is clear. All of those things are stuff people have feelings about and feel the need to talk about even when they supposedly don't like them. Anyway, so what gives? Any ideas?
There is a negative connotation to many things that are associated with "The South" in this country. I heard a lot of negative things growing up from many people in Massachusetts (where I'm from) and interestingly, it came from people off all races and walks of life. When I was a kid, I used to go out of my way to say how much I didn't like country music (which is funny since I hadn't heard much of it growing up in that part of the country AND because the little bit I had heard I really liked) which I think was partially subconscious or wanting to "save face".

Interestingly, I've heard younger southern folks say this too which always struck me as odd... like they are trying to distant themselves from southern culture.

I lived in Texas for 6 yrs in my mid 30's and all I heard all damn day was country music -- almost felt like I didn't have a choice... and you know what? Now I love it. lol

And... I admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology