Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In terms of "popular" music it is often the only genre that deals with positive morality, family love, traditional values, Christianity, etc. ...Of course that is in addition to the songs about divorce, drinking, death, etc.

It represents the wisdom of their parents and grandparents.

Young people are mostly lacking in judgment, lacking in wisdom, etc. They want to REBEL against those positive things. So they will say that they don't like country just to make sure other people know they are "cool".

If it ONLY dealt with drinking, divorce, death, etc, then I am certain they would be absolutely fine with acknowledging their fondness of it.
This has to be the most unlikely explanation of something I have ever seen on these forums.

The simple answer is that people like what they like and there are aspects particular to country music that are going to turn off wide swaths of people across many demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
^I liked OzzyRules answer. I think he is onto something, something I suspect as well, but that is hard to explain. He did a pretty good job.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
There are a few select artists and songs I like, but for the most part, country music gets on my ever-loving nerves. It's like music that's a perpetual whine and I agree with what someone else said about it being infantile. I also hate that it's constantly shoved down my throat where I work. That more than anything makes me want to tear my hair out.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
There are a few select artists and songs I like, but for the most part, country music gets on my ever-loving nerves. It's like music that's a perpetual whine and I agree with what someone else said about it being infantile. I also hate that it's constantly shoved down my throat where I work. That more than anything makes me want to tear my hair out.
Can you explain the infantile comment?

And thsnks for providing a great example of what I meant by how country music bothers people and that they're not just indifferent to it.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Can you explain the infantile comment?

And thsnks for providing a great example of what I meant by how country music bothers people and that they're not just indifferent to it.
Good point. It seems like half the responses are from people with this "issue".

I wonder what the age range is of posters here.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The older I get, and the more life I experience, the more I appreciate country music. It's not my favorite style, but I do like some artists a lot.

I've even grown to appreciate artists like George Jones, and Merle Haggard, as I've gotten older. So much country music seems to touch on common life experiences over the decades. Sometimes we can't truly appreciate another's perspective till we've experienced something similar.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
A guy I work with does this.. he hates it and will go turn the volume down to 'zero' when it comes on... to me it's just background noise... modern country from the last 20-30 years to me is not something I will go out of my way to buy, however it's not unpleasant either.. it's neutral, and I don't mind having it as background music. I prefer it over the easy listening pop stuff that the play on sirius xm channel 'the blend'

I used to hate rap too though and now I've become more neutral towards some of it as well, you know the mainstream stuff. I love the 'bubble butt' song they play on the 20 on 20 station which at work comes on at 5AM and goes until 7AM. I used to not like that station much but it's growing on me... probably because like most sirius stations it's so repetitive that you hear the same songs in that 2 hour window basically once a day.

My main music genre however is hard rock, radio hits from the 60's through 2013... I have over 2000 radio hits on my MP3 player that span some 50 years. There isn't a song I don't recognize or like among them... no need to have 20,000 songs and not listen to 17000 of them.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
I don't like it because it's all midrange and grown men having nasal and twangy voice fits.

Very hard on the ears.
and they all sound exactly the same! I'm always amazed that people can tell them apart.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM

364 posts, read 560,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In terms of "popular" music it is often the only genre that deals with positive morality, family love, traditional values, Christianity, etc. ...Of course that is in addition to the songs about divorce, drinking, death, etc.

It represents the wisdom of their parents and grandparents.

Young people are mostly lacking in judgment, lacking in wisdom, etc. They want to REBEL against those positive things. So they will say that they don't like country just to make sure other people know they are "cool".

If it ONLY dealt with drinking, divorce, death, etc, then I am certain they would be absolutely fine with acknowledging their fondness of it.
There are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to start...

Pop music tends to suck in general. It has for the past 30 years or so. (Yeah, that's a subjective statement, but Led Zeppelin and the like were mainstream at one point, and they were great.)

The key point I'd like to make here is that modern country music isn't country music at all. It's pop drivel.Have you heard the current generation's modern "country" music? I try to stay as far away from it as possible, but when I'm unfortunate enough to be in a car with someone and it's on, I hear songs about drinking and driving, drinking and boating, drinking and... yeah... That's a significant part of the current state of the genre. It's far from my favorite genre, but actual country music has been dead in the mainstream for 30 years.

If you can't find any modern music with a positive message of good morality that isn't country, YOU aren't looking hard enough.

I like music both for musical and lyrical message, but it's music first, lyrics second. Modern pop-country doesn't push the envelope musically in any way. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite. Sure the studio musicians used to record are usually world-class, but how many times can you listen to the same three chords with a hook before it gets boring? The majority of the country target audience today doesn't care much.

Bravo on the bit of age discrimination at the end there. That was a real gem.

Yes, I don't like modern country music, but it isn't because I want to be cool. It's because not only is it musically boring, but it's usually annoying as hell.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Because it it sucks so bad now?

It's become truly laughable. My kids and I actually turn to the country stations every now and then to get a good laugh.

"Chew Tobacco, Chew Tobacco, Chew Tobacco, Spit..." Really?

So pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology