Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times

Advertisements

"...believing anything so long as it is pleasing to her"??
"...even if she knows it is false" ??
"...positive affirmations" ??
...mordant

You and I are on 2 diff wavelengths, mordant.
Maybe my post, wanting to cut it short and brief, left holes.

I have been healed of a severe hip joint problem, btw...this is my first hand report, not third.
No positive affirmations were done...healings are way more than that, btw.
Sorry, if I was unclear in my brevity.

I just deleted a lot bec I ramble about healings....I think its off topic.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-05-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
"...believing anything so long as it is pleasing to her"??
"...even if she knows it is false" ??
"...positive affirmations" ??
...mordant

You and I are on 2 diff wavelengths, mordant.
Maybe my post, wanting to cut it short and brief, left holes.

I have been healed of a severe hip joint problem, btw...this is my first hand report, not third.
No positive affirmations were done...healings are way more than that, btw.
Sorry, if I was unclear in my brevity.

I just deleted a lot bec I ramble about healings....I think its off topic.
What I was responding to was this statement:
Quote:
I choose perspectives that allow me to feel more peace of mind...they may even be
false...
I was not even suggesting that this is necessarily a Bad Thing for your practical purposes, only that it's something I'm more or less constitutionally incapable of and therefore get no advantage from.

I do not mind discussing healing in this thread because it is one way to get at the nature of reality. There is the intractable and fixed nature of reality such as if I were missing a leg, neither you nor anyone else could change that with prayer; no one ever goes into a children's cancer ward and empties it of patients, etc. On the other hand, as my story about the lady with dementia points out, simple love and caring and compassion can accomplish far more than we think sometimes -- and in that sense, reality is not always what it seems and can be a matter of perspective. The love this woman's husband had for her was particularly admirable. One of the ways he humanized her and showed that she was more than just a drooling giggling bedridden mess was to show that old photo of the sailor kissing a woman on the streets of NYC when the end of WW2 hostilities was announced. His wife was standing in the background. See, she is a real person, who was once pretty and full of life and excitement and in the middle of what was going on.

I'm sure that what we can agree on is that love can sometimes change things, no?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,251,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is another look at the issue. Just came to me.

If I kill a person, I killed the person, I am guilty. That is reality.

But....In a court of law, I am not guilty until I have been proven....or whatever the phrase is, you all know it.

The two "guilties" are separate and distinct. Sometimes they match and sometimes they do not.

Why?
That is the "reality" of our legal system!

The way many people "think" our legal system works is pure fantasy.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Thank you mordant I was focusing on the healing part and forgot I said that.

Yes, that is how I function...happiness is very imp to me...so if a waitress is rude, for example...I will make up a story that perhaps her son got arrested this morning...could be false..but it keeps my mind at peace and in a forgiving mode.
It may not be reality...but I chooe the better feeling thought rather than, "What a nasty person."

And yes we can agree on a lot...

John G. Lakes was a healer and limbs grew,btw....talk about a change in reality!
But being third hand many don't believe it....Just an aside.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Is what is observable really all there is to reality, or do hidden layers of truth exist?
Is gravity itself observable? Or, is it just the effects of gravity that observable? If gravity is not observable then that would provide something that was unobservable yet real.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM

726 posts, read 1,226,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Is what is observable really all there is to reality, or do hidden layers of truth exist?
There's a book by Jane Roberts call The Nature of Personal reality". Personal reality sums up any answer as aLL INFORMATION IS SUBJECTIVE TO THE ONE RECIEVING. Sorry about the caps.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is another look at the issue. Just came to me.

If I kill a person, I killed the person, I am guilty. That is reality.

But....In a court of law, I am not guilty until I have been proven....or whatever the phrase is, you all know it.

The two "guilties" are separate and distinct. Sometimes they match and sometimes they do not.

Why?

Once again it is those pesky observers!
It doesn't matter whether people find you "guilty" or "not guilty." The REALITY is that you killed someone. Now, maybe it's a matter of semantics - maybe it was self defense, justified manslaughter, a pure accident, whatever. You may or may not be "guilty" of something - but your actions caused the death of another person. This is reality.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:47 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes, that is how I function...happiness is very imp to me...so if a waitress is rude, for example...I will make up a story that perhaps her son got arrested this morning...could be false..but it keeps my mind at peace and in a forgiving mode.
It may not be reality...but I choose the better feeling thought rather than, "What a nasty person."
Oddly enough I tend to do the same thing. I am still trying to figure out if this is a virtue or a vice. The problem is that I have trouble holding people accountable for actual perfidy because I'm always making up excuses for them ;-)

I have been forced to understand the mind of the sociopath and the borderline personality, the profligate and lazy, and the just plain dishonest and self-absorbed, because these kinds of people were overrunning me. I am the way I am because I actually had to take off my rose-colored glasses and quit being a babe in the woods in order to survive in this world.

My preference is always to make up stories about other people's bad days. I really just want to believe the best about people, even after all these years. I have to force myself to allow for the possibility however in any given situation that I actually AM dealing with a miserable excuse for humanity.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Hi mordant,
I know.
Something Sylvia Browne said helped me a lot...she was referring to this Christian "thing" we have about loving everybody....
We can love them just fine and wish them well...but if they're screwy (my word) or
toxic....get away from them! And I do. (You should see how big my ignore lists are on Forums!!)

Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Oddly enough I tend to do the same thing. I am still trying to figure out if this is a virtue or a vice. The problem is that I have trouble holding people accountable for actual perfidy because I'm always making up excuses for them ;-)

I have been forced to understand the mind of the sociopath and the borderline personality, the profligate and lazy, and the just plain dishonest and self-absorbed, because these kinds of people were overrunning me. I am the way I am because I actually had to take off my rose-colored glasses and quit being a babe in the woods in order to survive in this world.

My preference is always to make up stories about other people's bad days. I really just want to believe the best about people, even after all these years. I have to force myself to allow for the possibility however in any given situation that I actually AM dealing with a miserable excuse for humanity.
This is very similar to one of the pages in "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff". He suggests a scenario where you imagine that you know the person is going to die that day, and they don't know, so that you feel compassion for them rather than anger. Really at heart these are all suggestions to wake us up to the fact that we are all human and not as "separate" as we think.

I try to do this on the road while driving, as that is where I am triggered the most, and trying hardest to practice kindness...but it ain't always easy!

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-05-2013 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology