Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
You go to a doctor because, presumably, you don't understand how your innards work and don't have the technology to look at them. That's a lot different than what I'm talking about in this thread. People who go to talk to a counselor aren't looking for practical advice that they couldn't figure out on their own. They're just using someone as a shoulder to cry on. It's pathetic.
This video you posted are extreme examples that were done for rating purposes

I can see how therapy might look on the surface like someone is doing all the talking while a doctor just sits there daydreaming and asking a bunch of questions he asks every patient but that is not what is usually going on

No one is opened to change their behavior if they don't believe it could benefit them. Giving patients a set of instructions without the patient understanding why it's probably not gonna work. Psychology is about self awareness, being able to see the reasons for our destructive actions. Many times we think we act a certain way for the wrong reason, usually things out of our control but with self awareness we can uncover the real reasons for a behavior. This is why the therapists needs to ask questions, to help the patient arrive to those conclusions. Once they are aware it is much easier to modify their behavior in similar situations in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I would like to know the worst crisis the OP has faced in his life--the very, very worst--and how he was able to overcome it successfully using sheer will power. Perhaps we might all learn something.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
The OP is just trying to rile people up. Don't take the bait.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
That's what I've concluded. Most of the time, people going to counseling sessions or whatever, aren't actually looking for advice; they're just looking for emotional support, a chance to vent about their life and such. It's a sign of emotional immaturity.

Watch this video about "life coaching"

P&T Bull****! 304 - Life Coaching - YouTube
* I realize my reply is pretty long. I feel strongly about this, but it won't hurt my feelings if people skip over it due to its length. *

First of all, I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't have some hidden motive for his post such as a belief in scientology. I don't argue religion either on the Internet or IRL.

The following are my observations IN GENERAL. Some may not be very flattering, but since I know nothing what-so-ever about the OP, my words should not be construed as a personal attack on him or anyone else. Although if the shoe fits, you have my permission to wear it.

When I read the words "It's a sign of emotional immaturity," my first thought that this is the outlook of a young person with not much life experience under their belt and who lacks the imagination to put themselves in another's place. In addition, people who are lacking in compassion may make such statements which can't help but come across as arrogant.

None of us knows what it is to walk in another's shoes. We may think we do, but we don't. Even couples who have been married for 50 years have a secret or two that they keep from one another. Someone whom others may view as "weak-willed" may actually be the strongest person in the room.

I'll tell everyone a little story that proves my point. A young Native American man joins the United States Army at age 20 because he wanted to use his VA benefits to go to University some day. When he enlisted, the US hadn't been engaged in any major conflict since the end of the Vietnam War. Our friend did well in the military. He attained the rank of E5 (sergeant) quickly and was assigned to be a tank commander in the 3rd Armored Division - the Division which spear-headed the US advance into Kuwait in the First Gulf War. The young Sergeant re-upped for another tour of duty and was assigned to Fort Carson - a major Army base in Colorado Springs.

At this point the Sergeant began to exhibit unusual behavior. He started attending AA meetings that were held off base in Colorado Springs, although he had no record of drunken behavior. He began to have worsening displays of temper. He punched holes in walls with his fist with no warning. He was insubordinate to his First Sergeant (who had never seen combat). The Gulf War vet asked for a medical evaluation and was sent to Evans Army Hospital for a 3-week evaluation. The man's First Sergeant called this "malingering" and stated further that he was tired of "you people" (Native Americans) refusing to carry out their military commitments and refusing orders from the chain of Command.

As soon as this Native American Gulf Vet was discharged from the hospital, the First Sergeant wrote him up and confined him to barracks indefinitely. There was serious talk of a dishonorable discharge - maybe even time at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth.

I imagine the OP would be cheering that First Sergeant on and considering the Gulf Vet to be just another "drunk Indian" who was so "weak-willed" that he didn't control his anger and was fed up with the military and taking the "easy way out."

If so, OP then let's see you overcome this since you're such a tough guy. I'm going to throw you into a Native American family (Mohawk) where every single one of your close family members is an alcoholic. Your Mother is walking home drunk on the side of the road when she staggers in front of an oncoming car and is killed instantly. At the ripe old age of 3, you are sent to live with your alcoholic father and grandfather who share a small apartment. Your drunken grandfather greets your arrival on the first day you get there by knocking you violently down the stairs. It goes downhill from there.

Sometimes you are left alone without food for days on end. You sleep in your classes through the 3rd grade because you spent the previous night awake, terrified that a drunken stranger will come into your room and hold a knife to your throat and sexually abuse you. It's happened before. The beatings from your grandfather continue until you're 16 when you finally are big enough to hit back. The drinking never stops, and by age 12, you're a pretty heavy drinker yourself. When you leave "home" at 18, most would predict that you're doomed to a life of drunkenness and at best, petty crime. It happens all too often to Native Americans these days.

But guess what? Thanks to the fact that he's "weak-minded" this Mohawk, Native American 18-year old joins AA and never has a drop of alcohol to drink again. I wish more Native Americans had "weak minds" like that. Another sober alcoholic, a "weak-minded" university professor notices the young man and takes him under his wing. The professor urges him to join the military as a way of paying for college tuition, and our friend takes his advice; joins up, has an exemplery military record with quick promotions through the ranks.

When he gets to Kuwait, he becomes a military hero, saving the lives of 5 American soldiers whose Bradley Fighting Vehicle became disabled by enemy fire. Only 3 days later, the young Native American soldier saw his best friend blown up into bloody fragments before his very eyes.

Perhaps, "strong-minded" OP would be indifferent to those things which happened on the battlefield. Maybe OP would just pretend that he never even knew the soldier who was killed before his eyes in the first place. Maybe courage under fire is something he experiences 24/7. Maybe.

However, an army Colonel who was a decorated fighter pilot in Vietnam, then went back and got his MD in psychiatry (so he could care for the weak-willed) stepped in and saved that heroic Native American soldier from being thrown to the dogs. That decorated Army physician diagnosed that heroic soldier with PTSD (VERY understandable condition, given this young Sergeant's early history and battlefield experience) and he was given an honorable discharge and a full pension from the VA. He enrolled at the University of Colorado upon his discharge from the Service and is majoring in computer science with a minor in history.

Now, if OP would like to go accomplish the equivalent and come back to tell us about it, I might pay attention. As it now stands, I won't.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM

50 posts, read 82,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
* I realize my reply is pretty long. I feel strongly about this, but it won't hurt my feelings if people skip over it due to its length. *

First of all, I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't have some hidden motive for his post such as a belief in scientology. I don't argue religion either on the Internet or IRL.

The following are my observations IN GENERAL. Some may not be very flattering, but since I know nothing what-so-ever about the OP, my words should not be construed as a personal attack on him or anyone else. Although if the shoe fits, you have my permission to wear it.

When I read the words "It's a sign of emotional immaturity," my first thought that this is the outlook of a young person with not much life experience under their belt and who lacks the imagination to put themselves in another's place. In addition, people who are lacking in compassion may make such statements which can't help but come across as arrogant.

None of us knows what it is to walk in another's shoes. We may think we do, but we don't. Even couples who have been married for 50 years have a secret or two that they keep from one another. Someone whom others may view as "weak-willed" may actually be the strongest person in the room.

I'll tell everyone a little story that proves my point. A young Native American man joins the United States Army at age 20 because he wanted to use his VA benefits to go to University some day. When he enlisted, the US hadn't been engaged in any major conflict since the end of the Vietnam War. Our friend did well in the military. He attained the rank of E5 (sergeant) quickly and was assigned to be a tank commander in the 3rd Armored Division - the Division which spear-headed the US advance into Kuwait in the First Gulf War. The young Sergeant re-upped for another tour of duty and was assigned to Fort Carson - a major Army base in Colorado Springs.

At this point the Sergeant began to exhibit unusual behavior. He started attending AA meetings that were held off base in Colorado Springs, although he had no record of drunken behavior. He began to have worsening displays of temper. He punched holes in walls with his fist with no warning. He was insubordinate to his First Sergeant (who had never seen combat). The Gulf War vet asked for a medical evaluation and was sent to Evans Army Hospital for a 3-week evaluation. The man's First Sergeant called this "malingering" and stated further that he was tired of "you people" (Native Americans) refusing to carry out their military commitments and refusing orders from the chain of Command.

As soon as this Native American Gulf Vet was discharged from the hospital, the First Sergeant wrote him up and confined him to barracks indefinitely. There was serious talk of a dishonorable discharge - maybe even time at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth.

I imagine the OP would be cheering that First Sergeant on and considering the Gulf Vet to be just another "drunk Indian" who was so "weak-willed" that he didn't control his anger and was fed up with the military and taking the "easy way out."

If so, OP then let's see you overcome this since you're such a tough guy. I'm going to throw you into a Native American family (Mohawk) where every single one of your close family members is an alcoholic. Your Mother is walking home drunk on the side of the road when she staggers in front of an oncoming car and is killed instantly. At the ripe old age of 3, you are sent to live with your alcoholic father and grandfather who share a small apartment. Your drunken grandfather greets your arrival on the first day you get there by knocking you violently down the stairs. It goes downhill from there.

Sometimes you are left alone without food for days on end. You sleep in your classes through the 3rd grade because you spent the previous night awake, terrified that a drunken stranger will come into your room and hold a knife to your throat and sexually abuse you. It's happened before. The beatings from your grandfather continue until you're 16 when you finally are big enough to hit back. The drinking never stops, and by age 12, you're a pretty heavy drinker yourself. When you leave "home" at 18, most would predict that you're doomed to a life of drunkenness and at best, petty crime. It happens all too often to Native Americans these days.

But guess what? Thanks to the fact that he's "weak-minded" this Mohawk, Native American 18-year old joins AA and never has a drop of alcohol to drink again. I wish more Native Americans had "weak minds" like that. Another sober alcoholic, a "weak-minded" university professor notices the young man and takes him under his wing. The professor urges him to join the military as a way of paying for college tuition, and our friend takes his advice; joins up, has an exemplery military record with quick promotions through the ranks.

When he gets to Kuwait, he becomes a military hero, saving the lives of 5 American soldiers whose Bradley Fighting Vehicle became disabled by enemy fire. Only 3 days later, the young Native American soldier saw his best friend blown up into bloody fragments before his very eyes.

Perhaps, "strong-minded" OP would be indifferent to those things which happened on the battlefield. Maybe OP would just pretend that he never even knew the soldier who was killed before his eyes in the first place. Maybe courage under fire is something he experiences 24/7. Maybe.

However, an army Colonel who was a decorated fighter pilot in Vietnam, then went back and got his MD in psychiatry (so he could care for the weak-willed) stepped in and saved that heroic Native American soldier from being thrown to the dogs. That decorated Army physician diagnosed that heroic soldier with PTSD (VERY understandable condition, given this young Sergeant's early history and battlefield experience) and he was given an honorable discharge and a full pension from the VA. He enrolled at the University of Colorado upon his discharge from the Service and is majoring in computer science with a minor in history.

Now, if OP would like to go accomplish the equivalent and come back to tell us about it, I might pay attention. As it now stands, I won't.
Discussion over.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
People who tend to be vehemently anti-counseling often seem to be those that probably need it the most.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

213 posts, read 503,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I would like to know the worst crisis the OP has faced in his life--the very, very worst--and how he was able to overcome it successfully using sheer will power. Perhaps we might all learn something.
Sure. I successfully rid myself of alcoholism and depression. For a long time I bought into the idea that each of those were problems stemming from my "brain chemistry" and that I'd be doomed to a lifetime of therapy, support groups and psychiatric drugs. I went those routes and then realized that they would never work in the long run because they weren't teaching me how to beat my problems on my own. I'd go to AA meetings because they'd temporarily take away some loneliness and provide me with some therapeutic value. But they never solved a damn thing and they were just making me more of an emotionally weak person. I was repulsed by the fatalism and the lack of ambition that I saw among people there, a lot of whom were also visiting shrinks and doing all that other useless ****. I feel bad for people who lean on others for support in trying to overcome their personal problems.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Sure. I successfully rid myself of alcoholism and depression. For a long time I bought into the idea that each of those were problems stemming from my "brain chemistry" and that I'd be doomed to a lifetime of therapy, support groups and psychiatric drugs. I went those routes and then realized that they would never work in the long run because they weren't teaching me how to beat my problems on my own. I'd go to AA meetings because they'd temporarily take away some loneliness and provide me with some therapeutic value. But they never solved a damn thing and they were just making me more of an emotionally weak person. I was repulsed by the fatalism and the lack of ambition that I saw among people there, a lot of whom were also visiting shrinks and doing all that other useless ****. I feel bad for people who lean on others for support in trying to overcome their personal problems.
So essentially you dislike other people for not being like you. And you see nothing narcissistic in your thinking? Not everyone is like you bro. It's great that you were able to overcome those problems but just because AA and counseling didn't work for you doesn't mean its not going to work for the next person. You have a very "me-centric" view if not on the world then on this.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
People who tend to be vehemently anti-counseling often
seem to be those that probably need it the most.
Correctomundo...that is what I have observed and that was true of me
before I bit the bullet...

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi View Post
Discussion over.
Whoa, I had no idea CoRambler was so articulate and right on!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology