Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 06:46 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

I think it could be a rejection of classism and what some perceive as yuppie values, embracing what was once regarded as a mark of a circus performer, biker and lower wage working class person, regardless of one's upbringing or educational background, as a community of classlessness. I see "Rosie the Riveter" style bandanas popping up everywhere these days, another populist fashion statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM

186 posts, read 362,256 times
nah, it's a case of "look at me" just like the fancy houses, cars, clothing, etc. "Wow, I'm SO special that my light doesn't shine by itself, GOTTA have all this stuff, so people will notice me". :-) "Because my weak little ego just HAS to be noticed, after all".

Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM

311 posts, read 466,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianshae713 View Post
I only have 3 tattoos and I'm 21 years old. When it comes to tattoos, I put meaning into them. It's like my body is a picture book expressing my life as it goes on. I'll be able to point them out and explain the meaning and why I got it. It's a conversation starter and it becomes a part of who you are. I don't do it for other people or for attention. I get tattoos to represent times of my life or things that mean a lot to me. I do see people that get stupid tattoos that mean nothing to them and I find it pointless but at least it's their body and not mine.

I agree with this..My son has tats, he thought about what he wanted and they have a personal meaning. They are covered so He didn't get them to fit in or stand out. One is in tribute to the Firefighter killed in the Sept 11, attack..it's on his chest. It is a choice that is right for him. I don't want to have a tat..but that's just not for me.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 PM

if they dont show, what's the point? I mean, if you had a rembrandt, would you bury it in a vault?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
No, but I may keep it in my bedroom so I could enjoy it.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
For very visible ones, it's fashion just like anything else.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 AM

stalin and hitler had no regrets, either. the lack of regret does not give any indication of whether a given course of action was intelligent.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
stalin and hitler had no regrets, either. the lack of regret does not give any indication of whether a given course of action was intelligent.
Stalin and Hitler? WTF?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM

367 posts, read 959,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
But I just don't get anything on it being on skin.
This^. If nature wanted that crap on your skin you would have been born that way. People are free to do what they want but I personally think that all this "tat" and "ink" stuff is crap and a desperate call for attention. I don't want anything on my body that I can't get rid of in a hot shower with a bar of Irish Spring.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
I am only just now realizing how conservative this forum is.

Anyway, some of us get our body art because we like the way it looks. Nothing too mind-boggling there.

Others have philosophies that go with body art, and still others do it to "enhance" their appearance (I put "enhance" in quotes because clearly many of you think that tattoos only detract from a person's appearance). There is a heavily tatted girl on a television show that I watch who explained that she didn't feel comfortable in her own skin, so she changed it by adding tattoos and piercings.

To each his/her own, I say. I'm really not sure why it's so difficult for everyone to respect that adage. I can see people complaining about obese people and smokers because that does affect the rest of us indirectly or directly, but why let someone inking their own body bother you? Why even be disgusted or annoyed by something that has absolutely NO effect on you whatsoever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology