Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I don't watch Judge Harridan, and I've never given enough of a damn about tattoos to give them that much thought. You want one, get one. You don't - don't.
Everybody already knows that a person who wants a tattoo can get one, and a person who doesn't want one doesn't have to. That is a given, not worth talking about, you have not added anything new to the body of knowledge.

The question is "what makes people WANT one?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

In reality the reason why people get tattoos is as numerous as the stars in the sky
Nice analogy, but not even close, possibly the most inaccurate statement about people that it is possible to make. There are 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the known universe (300 sextillion). Stars out-number people by a ratio of 50,000,000,000,000 to one. If people could own the stars, each person could have fifty trillion of them. Let's just call it, umm, an exaggeration, and say you have made your point. Carry on.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-06-2013 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
And in 20 years, getting tattoos removed will be mainstream
One can hope

Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I realize that some tattoos are very artistic. But I just don't get anything on it being on skin. That's me though. But why are tattoos so popular now when it used to be that only carnival people and military personnel used to have them. I have seen people with tattoos right up to their necks and on their face. Don't they think ahead or what. Why do they have to add something to themselves aren't they satisfied who they are?
I think one psychological aspect of tattoos actually goes back to family instability. Now that divorce and single parent families are the norm, people crave a sense of stability and permanence that they didn't get as children, and tattoos are permanent.

Of course, humans are herd animals (even though most will, ironically, insist they're very unique and that only other people are conformists). Once people we think of as "cool" start getting them, we want to imitate them.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 08-06-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Low IQ.
As much as I would like to agree, there are a lot of smart people with tattoos; which makes it all the more unfortunate.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Amy Winehouse looked horrible from drug and alcohol binges, and tattoos
Fixed that for 'ya.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
And why should we care if people get tattoos for fashion purposes or to be unique? Why are their reasons important? Does it affect your wallet? Do those tattoos take away any rights from you?

Psychology is mostly about learning about your own behavior and not about finding ways to make others inferior. Have you ever wonder why you feel so righteous about people with tattoos? what they do with their bodies doesn't affect you directly, but to me you sound like their choices offend you. Your post is full of anger. You are even labeled some people as "stupid".

By the way before you think I'm defensive let me clarify I don't have any tattoos and I don't plan to get any in the future. But if you for example don't like chocolate ice cream do you get upset if someone gets one? Do you get upset when people buy furniture you don't like? What makes tattoos different? It's not your body or your money.
Whose post is full of anger?

Anyway I have a story. It's about a 20 year old I work next to who is currently building her "collection". she proudly shows me her new art every Monday morning.

I'm uninspired myself, but as you say, not my body.

The very same girl, who shares tattoos with her "sisters" (bff's) is also in a kerfuffle because she's getting married soon and wants to wear a strapless dress. I am also old enough to remember when wedding dresses didn't have to be strapless btw.

Anyway the whole conversation revolves around How Best To Cover Our Tattoos For The Photos.

Of course here I am rolling my eyes.

She sounds just like you, all defensive and offended. She isn't very bright and totally fails to see the link between her tattoo odyssey and her need to find a bullet proof concealer for her big day.

So. All those ladies who are so proud of their body art....what would you do on your wedding day? Let em all hang out, along with your bff's who are similarly scribbled upon? Can the best man have face tattoos? Which tattoo do you coordinate your colours with? The ginormous fairy wings, or maybe the purple skull?

Apparently this look still isn't fashionable on your wedding day. Who'd have thought?

PS I would be just as unimpressed if someone did decide to never eat anything but chocolate ice cream for the rest of their life, because it's their choice and their body but I think it would be a stupid and foolhardy thing to attempt to do and as this is an OPINION forum, I would say so.

But you keep on respecting others rights...just not mine to an opinion.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
50 years from now the nursing homes will be full of wrinkled up tatoos.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Low IQ.

Hmmmm, I'm the uneducated one with just a masters degree in business with only six tattoo's whereas my wife is working on her PhD in cultural anthropology and linguistics in order to boost her career advancement potential with in the framework of an international and she has full sleeves.

For those that do not know or care to know what "" full sleeves "" are it's where the entire arm is covered by art.

She is also a member of MENSA. If you are not familiar with such I suggest Googling it.

As far as our standing within the upper income neighborhood that we reside in is concerned, I hold court at my home in the form of large gatherings of neighbors, family and friends. We have a very large in ground pool where, in our bathing suits, we expose our art to everyone there.

Trust me when I say there are more professionals like us that are tattooed then you know about, but then again you also have to run in our social set and income strata to know that so I certainly don't blame you for your ignorance.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everybody already knows that a person who wants a tattoo can get one, and a person who doesn't want one doesn't have to. That is a given, not worth talking about, you have not added anything new to the body of knowledge.

The question is "what makes people WANT one?"

I'd say that the question is:

"Why do you give a flying Philadelphia about it anyway?"

Again, you want one, get one, don't want one, don't get one. Otherwise, think whatever you damn well please about them.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM

19 posts, read 63,556 times
I think it is all about media, making it seem like it is very cool for every one to have on their bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology