Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 PM

347 posts, read 669,284 times

Advertisements

People with tattoos are impulsive, confrontational and poor decisions makers...there are plenty of ways to express oneself but you've chosen to make a very public, very visible and very permanent means of doing so, one which is used by gangs and criminals worldwide. It's an easy way of determining the mindset of a person and people often don't like that mindset...so yes, you're going to be viewed by the choices you make.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,739,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
A true story. A very young and bright family member recently graduated from college. She found a job in her area of interest and was hired. At the time of the interview her tattoos were covered. One day not long after she wore a different but business appropriate more revealing outfit to work and was fired due to her tattoos.
Obviously not that bright after all.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
People with tattoos are impulsive, confrontational and poor decisions makers...there are plenty of ways to express oneself but you've chosen to make a very public, very visible and very permanent means of doing so, one which is used by gangs and criminals worldwide. It's an easy way of determining the mindset of a person and people often don't like that mindset...so yes, you're going to be viewed by the choices you make.
I'm assuming this is not for real...

I know that I thought hard about my tattoo for a good year before I got it, I'm not confrontational, and I'm actually a pretty good decision-maker, about my tattoo and lots of other things.

But then again, I don't really care if someone doesn't like me, particularly if it's over a tattoo! So there ya go.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM

347 posts, read 669,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm assuming this is not for real...

I know that I thought hard about my tattoo for a good year before I got it, I'm not confrontational, and I'm actually a pretty good decision-maker, about my tattoo and lots of other things.

But then again, I don't really care if someone doesn't like me, particularly if it's over a tattoo! So there ya go.
There are always exceptions to the rule.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
There are always exceptions to the rule.
People who make blanket statements on the internet about large, diverse groups of other people are narrow-minded, judgmental cranks who need to lighten up and get out more.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I don't like tattoos but I wouldn't go so far as to HATE them. What gets me is that young people are not all that forward thinking, and they are usually the one tatting themselves up on their 18th bd like a rite of passage. Whatever they get, whatever they think is funny or cool or meaningful, most likely won't be a few years down the road. My friends daughter wanted an "O-Town" tattoo...seriously. O-Town. Thankfully she didn't get that.

When I think of the things my daughter wanted to get, actually what she GOT from an idiot who couldn't draw...fortunately her mistake was small and in an area nobody would see, and years later she covered it beautifully by a real artist. It's still not something she shows off and few people know she has it.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
I think it's an overwhelming compulsion to seek conformity and enforce it on others (vestigial pack/herd mentality from our caveman days?). If tattoos were the cultural norm, than we'd have the same griping about people who didn't have them. In our culture, a tat stands out and divulges something about the person which is totally contrary to striving for vanilla homogeny. Individuality is frowned upon whether it's body adornment, clothing, hairstyle or lifestyle.

I, personally, wouldn't get a name tattoo unless it was my child, or commemorative for a lost pet or friend. I do, however, have my husband's & my initials in the design of my wedding ring tattoo (I don't wear jewelry except small earrings). If, for some reason, we were to get divorced or I become widowed and want to remarry, the initials can be inked over in a pleasing pattern because I designed it that way. But no way would I get my husband's full name tattooed anywhere on my body, just as I never had any of my boyfriend's names put on.

Unless I'm wearing a lowcut shirt or tanktop, you can't see most of my tats. Most people either don't notice my wedding ring tat or the ivy vine on my forearm, or they think it's jewelry not ink. In my mind, ink is no different than metal and stone jewelry except that one can be easily removed and the other can't... it's all just personal adornment. I never have to worry about leaving my wedding ring by the sink, dropping it down the drain, having it stolen, or losing it.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,135 times
1) It's too reminiscent of Auschwitz;
2) Studies suggest that the percentage of prisoners in jails who have tats is very high;
3) Tats are found most often on people who are not educated, or who are lower class;
4) It's painful, I would think;
5) They are ugly looking -- I've never seen one that's attractive.

Sorry. I won't hire anyone with these if they show, or facial piercings. When I see somebody with this stuff, I just naturally wonder, do they ever expect to get a good job? Personally, I don't want to hang out with someone who looks like they work in a tattoo parlor.

I know this post will make some people angry, but the realities of business life are what they are.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Well as a tattooless former Sailor and Biker ( I know weird huh).. I have plenty of friends with tattoos.. Some are very cool, some aren't.
I've always resisted getting one, simply because they aren't for me.
And I don't like them on women.. Again don't know why. Just don't think they look good on chicks.
Again that's just me, I really could care less if you or anyone else has one...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,122 times
From an appearance standpoint, I dont like how they look, and the few that are in better taste, well, at 65, they look well, basically kind of ugly, not the same as when the person js younger. Im somewhat of a nonconformist, so any appeal they might hold for me was killed off when everyone started getting them, I cant explain it very well, it just seems like practically everyone has one, even some people at work and stuff started getting them. Wherever I go these days Im usually either the only person or one of the few who dont have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.