U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times

Advertisements

I don't really like some of the work I do, but it's my way of earning a living. A lot of my work involves writing and interviewing people. Blah, boring.

I work from home, and tend to procrastinate big time. For example, today I have a heap of projects to do. But what have I done so far? Well, to begin with, I went to the grocery store this morning to get more milk. On the way, I found a big black Lab running around the side of the road. (Her address was on her collar, and this is actually a safe area for dogs, so she wasn't in any real danger.) I opened my car door, and in she jumped. She got right into the passenger seat and stuck her head out the window. Nothing I could do but give her a ride home, which I did. Took me a while since I had to figure out where she lived exactly. (By the way, I "rescued" another dog yesterday as well. I'm becoming a regular taxi service for dogs.) So then, I finally go to Whole Foods, where I pick up some coffee and boring blah healthy food like low-fat plain yogurt and frozen raspberries and skim milk. Get home, make some hot tea, and jump back on the computer. Spend another 30 minutes on City-data talking to virtual friends.

I'm hopeless. I can literally waste an entire day this way...

How do I deal with this horrible procrastination problems? Do others suffer from this as well....

Holy smokes....

greenie

P.S. I remember a therapist saying one time: "You procrastinate to avoid doing something you hate." So maybe I need a new job. When I was at Whole Foods this morning I thought, wow, I'd love a job like this, one where I could work X hours and then go home and be done with it. I would save on grocery money because I could just eat the leftovers from the vegetarian buffet at the end of the day. I just want a simple, easy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Procrastination is something I'll worry about tomorrow.....

Old 11-13-2007, 03:57 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
I put it on tomorrows to do list. If I don't get to it tomorrow, I'll carry it forward to the next day and so on and so on. If I play my cards right I can postpone taking action on it indefinitely.

Green Machine wrote:
First, reframe the above statement to something like: Even though I can literally waste an entire day this way, and that makes me think I'm hopeless, I choose to like myself anyway.

Remember, you do have a choice what to believe about yourself. No one forces you to believe that you are hopeless.

When I read your post in its entirety, I get the sense that you are happier when you are doing the activities that you are referring to as wasting time. To me, it's your higher self guiding you to find an income source that is more interesting than what you are currently doing. Instead of resisiting it and getting down on yourself, go with the flow and see where it leads you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

blessings....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-13-2007 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
i play mind games with myself. for example if my house needs tidying then i tell myself that the health dept is coming over and going to take my kids away if i dont clean up (my house is never that dirty of course but it works!).

or if i cant do something or am afraid to do something then i pretend that my life depends upon it and i'll die if i dont.

mind games always work with me even though it probably sounds strange.

if youre a creative type like me and like to pretend then it may work for you well!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I put it on tomorrows to do list. If I don't get to it tomorrow, I'll carry it forward to the next day and so on and so on. If I play my cards right I can postpone taking action on it indefinitely.

Green Machine wrote:
First, reframe the above statement to something like: Even though I can literally waste an entire day this way, and that makes me think I'm hopeless, I choose to like myself anyway.

Remember, you do have a choice what to believe about yourself. No one forces you to believe that you are hopeless.

When I read your post in its entirety, I get the sense that you are happier when you are doing the activities that you are referring to as wasting time. To me, it's your higher self guiding you to find an income source that is more interesting than what you are currently doing. Instead of resisiting it and getting down on yourself, go with the flow and see where it leads you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

blessings....Franco
Bless your heart, Franco. As I side note, I just lost a major client today. I was really angry at first by how unfair it was, but now I realize that I've been an opportunity to do a little soul searching.

Thanks,

Greenie

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM

618 posts, read 1,466,480 times
Unfortunately I have found a quote that resembles me:

"Procrastinators Unite...........tomorrow "

Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
Greenie,

I think it is just job dissatisfaction. Maybe you should look into other work.

And then I thought of something funny. Maybe you can taxi people's pets to vet offices.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times
Silly as it sounds, and I am the "queen" of procrastination, I make a list of my "have-to-do's" for the day. As I complete each item on the list I cross it off. When I look at my list and see what I have to do and what I have done it makes me feel more directed!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,870,178 times
My theory is ------ why do it today, if it can wait until tomorrow. I don't stress myself out anymore because the work will get done. I perform much better in a fire drill situation anyway.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,849,851 times
What I do if I don't want to do something that needs to be done is play a little game with myself.
Okay, I need to do this. I'll take 10 minutes to do this and then it will be over or when this project is over, I'll sit down and have a nice warm cup of tea or whatever. Most of the time it works.

What I would do if I were you is check into dog sitting or walking.
Whole Foods sounds like a fun thing to do also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology