Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Despite my socially liberal opinions, I'm really considering getting a gun. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but there are too many unmedicated people in this society. A taser can only do so much damage. It would just be for home use.

God forbid that I really do have to shoot someone, I'm thinking about my nerves. My voice shakes when I'm afraid. What if I'm shaking like a leaf? How would I cope with the fact that I'm responsible for someone's death? Who's going to clean up all the blood splatter in my carpet and on the walls? The investigators will come into my home with their shoes on, that's disgusting.
There are companies that specialize in cleaning up crime scenes like meth labs and shootings. I don't think shooting a bad guy should upset you. It’s up to you to determine who a bad guy is. I personally don't think a crazy person is a bad guy and deserves to die. I don't even think you can teach them a lesson with a baseball bat, they will still come back.

When I was a lot younger a store keeper in the poor part of town was getting tired of poor people coming into his store shoplifting food. He got a gun and thought he could prevent theft with it. A man came in and stole a single can of tuna fish and bolted out the door. The store keeper was so upset he grabbed his gun and shot the man in the back of the head as the man ran down the side walk. He was within his rights because nothing happened to him but he later closed the store having to deal with taking a life over a can of tuna, Is a hungry man a bad guy? I don’t know, the fire department came and washed his bloody brains down the sewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Despite my socially liberal opinions, I'm really considering getting a gun. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but there are too many unmedicated people in this society. A taser can only do so much damage. It would just be for home use.

God forbid that I really do have to shoot someone, I'm thinking about my nerves. My voice shakes when I'm afraid. What if I'm shaking like a leaf? How would I cope with the fact that I'm responsible for someone's death? Who's going to clean up all the blood splatter in my carpet and on the walls? The investigators will come into my home with their shoes on, that's disgusting.
I think the problem is there are too many MEDICATED people in society Pinkmani. If you're afraid, and feel more secure and protected with a weapon around, then sure, get one, by all means....I'm assuming the rest of your post is in jest...cause it's pretty well a given that if you did kill someone, the last thing on your mind would be your carpets.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 AM

340 posts, read 523,834 times
I get the impression that taking a life, a human life (in America), means nothing. All in a day's work (so to speak).

Must be an American thing, because in my 49 years on the face of this planet, I have yet to encounter another person that wakes in the morning to define such an action.

Is America THAT out of control/out of touch?

Last edited by Lavadora; 08-25-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
I would say excessive medication and also illicit drug use is probably as much of a worry as too many unmedicated people around.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Given your nervous nature, your fearfulness and the fact that you are apparently in a low-crime area, I really would strongly advise against getting a gun. Please keep in mind that as pointed out, the odds of being injured go up with a gun in the house, plus a gun is also something that can be used against you unless you lock it up - in which case you cannot access it quickly - or you carry it on you at all times (which is a pain in the ass).

Get an alarm (the most effective move, imho) and use it regularly, get good locks or security doors, get a well-behaved but intimidating-looking dog that barks. I have a 45-pound Catahoula who is one of the sweetest natured animals on the planet - yet I have seen full-grown thugs skitter around him like I had a bear on a leash.

I grew up around guns and am comfortable with them, but I don't want that responsibility. It seems a real burden to take on just on the very slim chance that someone might try to attack me in my home. I have all sorts of other precautions in place, so a gun isn't really anything I need. Frankly, common sense is the best defense against being attacked, whether in or out of the home.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Perfectly acceptable by me. Guns have gotten me out of more trouble than they have got me into by far and I'm talking for over 35 years......
I also CCW carry and with the attitude of people now days you never know what someone is going to do. People get killed now for the cars they drive all the way down to just being in someone's "space". OR because of their color....

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not think you should have a firearm.
I agree. OP should look at alternatives for feeling safe. The concern about all the blood and stuff when encountering a threat to your life, who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think the problem is there are too many MEDICATED people in society Pinkmani. If you're afraid, and feel more secure and protected with a weapon around, then sure, get one, by all means....I'm assuming the rest of your post is in jest...cause it's pretty well a given that if you did kill someone, the last thing on your mind would be your carpets.
Exactly. The MEDICATED are my fear also as if you read through the side effects of some of the prescription drugs, they are as or more dangerous than the illegal ones being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
I get the impression that taking a life, a human life (in America), means nothing. All in a day's work (so to speak).

Must be an American thing, because in my 49 years on the face of this planet, I have yet to encounter another person that wakes in the morning to define such an action.

Is America THAT out of control/out of touch?
Yes. Between the prescription drug use, illegal drug use, the refusal to prosecute people because of the cost so just letting them back on the street, that and the overcrowding of our prisons due to the poor not being able to get decent legal defense while letting other criminals go free because they have the money to buy out, it is that out of control. I was in a city where a guy committed murder and spent 4 years in the county jail and was back on the street. County jail. Most walk because of the cost and the fear of the prosecution because of threats and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would say excessive medication and also illicit drug use is probably as much of a worry as too many unmedicated people around.
Yes, again, the problem of drugs being used both legal and illegal.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:

How would you cope with the fact that you could die in your own house?

If you're willing to lay down and die for some criminal, then you might have something else going on.

If you're more concerned about cleaning up blood and the shoes of investigators, then your priorities are in the wrong spot.

How about you concern yourself with something such as surviving a lethal encounter?

Contrary to popular belief, those of us who own guns and carry them legally have gone through background checks and training.

Some of you here demonize the gun. Don't be afraid of the gun, it's an inanimate object, it's the person behind the gun who is dangerous.

I don't know what the rest of you think but I think we all have a right to not have our home violated by a criminal. I worked hard for it, it's not worth a criminal dying for.

I've hunted armed men in the mountains of Afghanistan, I will not be subject to the mercy of a criminal here at home!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM

192 posts, read 257,922 times
I'm more worried about the uneducated as opposed to unmedicated. They have Society OVER medicated buddy, they start these kids in Nursery school. Think about it.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I am a big advocate for the 2nd amendment, concealed carry, and the right to defend yourself. But in your case, I think you might be better off, to move if you don't feel perfectly save in your neighborhood, get the best locks you can buy on your doors and windows: maybe even a second floor apartment with a very safe door and secure entry on the building. Finally you could get an alarm system, or even a big mean dog, or a combination of the above. You don't sound like someone who could actually pull a trigger on someone. You might as well be honest with yourself, and if the gun is not your bag, go to alternative security ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology