Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,260 times

Advertisements

I either put the cart in the corral or take it back inside the store...whichever I think is closer.
Last week it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella. I wasn't close to the corral or the store so I left it on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
I figure most of them are lazy and/or have entitlement issues. The other day I say two carts on a mound of grass, so they not only pushed the cart over the curb, but up a hill. The corral was directly opposite the drive. Why work so hard when the corral was right behind them?

I always return my carts. The exercise does me good and I set a good example for my kids. (If my kids are along, it is good exercise for them )

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
It would be great to see more stores in the U.S. institute this practice. I've seen one or two stores put in carts that require a deposit of a quarter to get a cart, but even at those I've seen abandoned carts rolling around in the parking lots. Maybe a two-quarter deposit instead would be more effective?

I use reusable shopping bags as well and think they're extremely beneficial. Instead of fifteen tiny, flimsy, plastic bags each containing two items, I leave the store with two square, sturdy packages with canvas handles.
I dont think a quarter is enough incentive to make someone who has little regard in the first place to bring a shopping cart back to its proper area. Its easier in Europe because the coins go up to 2 Euro, equivalent of about $2.60 but 1 euro $1.30 does the trick.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
The same faulty mechanism that allows people to think it's OK to leave their carts anywhere in the parking lot is the one responsible for allowing people to throw their trash out their car windows.

Same low class caliber of person.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM

110 posts, read 165,734 times
The deposit system is standard practice here in the UK, it's a £1 coin (about $1.50c) and the service dept in store gives change if you don't have it - this includes ASDA, which is owned by Wal-mart - a simple system, which seems to work pretty well - there's not many dumped or stolen.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Toronto the solution is simple. Vertical steel posts, 15 feet outside the exit doors, placed so close together that a cart cannot pass through them. Carry the bags to your car, folks.
Who carries the heavy bags for the elderly, the disabled, the mom with a week's worth of food and supplies and a couple of toddlers hanging on?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Here in Germany all grocery stores require you place a deposit to release it from the pen. If anyone would see a shopping cart outside the pen they will take it to get the deposit, 1 euro which is the equivalent of about $1.30. I never see a cart outside the pen. So in Germany you must come to the market with a euro coin to get the shopping cart and with your own bags, most people have very nice large bags they keep in their trunk and reuse each time.
I believe Aldi's is a German company, and they do that here.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Here in Toronto the solution is simple. Vertical steel posts, 15 feet outside the exit doors, placed so close together that a cart cannot pass through them. Carry the bags to your car, folks.
Something doesn't make sense. What happens if you have 15 bags like I do every time I go shopping?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
The fenced exit store system here in Toronto does two things, it prevents carts from ending up spread all over the neighbourhood, and encourages fitness. Ever wonder why so many Americans are so fat ?

We also have supermarkets that have carts that will "lock up the wheels " if you try to take them off the store's property. A buried electrical line, that works like the " invisible fence " for dogs, that limits how far you can push it. That allows the elderly and the big time shopper, to get to their car, without trouble, but keeps the carts on the parking lot.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
The fenced exit store system here in Toronto does two things, it prevents carts from ending up spread all over the neighbourhood, and encourages fitness. Ever wonder why so many Americans are so fat ?

We also have supermarkets that have carts that will "lock up the wheels " if you try to take them off the store's property. A buried electrical line, that works like the " invisible fence " for dogs, that limits how far you can push it. That allows the elderly and the big time shopper, to get to their car, without trouble, but keeps the carts on the parking lot.

Jim B

Toronto.
33 percent of Americans are overweight...and Canada is not that far behind, at 24 percent. One third vs one fourth.

Push more carts. Yeah, that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology