Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,791,620 times

Advertisements

It is so strange that you should mention this now. Recently I've seen a few shopping carts at my neighborhood dumpster and the leasing people just put up a sign about it. People don't read clearly because the carts were still there. The sign even said something about reporting anyone who does this. I guess it doesn't matter because no one enforces that rule. The good thing though is if they're putting it at the dumpster at least it's not affecting anyone whereas my mom gets perturbed when she sees it in the parking lot because someone could hit it with their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,691,707 times
I used to leave mine all the time..but I had an excuse..i had severe back problems and it was very hard for me to get around but per doctor's orders, I had to walk around some, so it's not just because people are just bad persons...

And if you think thats bad..some carts actually lock up when you take them past a certain range..so not only do you have to go get them, but then you have to reset the device so that way they will work! Talk about a major PITA!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,890,865 times
When I park my car, (relatively close to the cart corral) I try to take one of those "abandoned" carts with me into the store. I'm going to need a cart to shop, right? If everyone did this, it wouldn't solve the problem of the people who leave the carts, but it would help to clear the lot of carts that might roll into someone else's car.

What I truly don't understand is the distance between the handicapped parking spaces and the cart corrals. There should be corrals near the blue spaces, right?

ALDI isn't the only store that has the quarter-deposit-for-a-cart. There is a Shop-Rite in Manahawkin, NJ that does the same thing. I think it would be cost effective for most stores to institute this system.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 AM

693 posts, read 1,132,092 times
Here in Germany all grocery stores require you place a deposit to release it from the pen. If anyone would see a shopping cart outside the pen they will take it to get the deposit, 1 euro which is the equivalent of about $1.30. I never see a cart outside the pen. So in Germany you must come to the market with a euro coin to get the shopping cart and with your own bags, most people have very nice large bags they keep in their trunk and reuse each time.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM

8,797 posts, read 6,130,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I've noticed that the biggest offenders seem to be Wal-Mart shoppers. I can't help but notice that, on average, there are many more carts abandoned throughout the parking lot at Wal-Marts than any other stores. So maybe it has something to do with poor people don't respect themselves, so therefore they don't respect others?
In my area I have only seen Walmart employees rounding up shopping carts at closing time. Other stores have employees go out to round up carts throughout the business day. This would explain your observation.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,620,024 times
I walk the cart to the cart return area, no matter how far or inconvenient. What I hate is when I come out and someone has left their cart resting on the car next to me and that guy comes out and thinks I did it, when I didn't even use a cart that time. People are lazy period. I like the stores where you pay 25 cents to get the cart and get it back when you return it to the holding area. Yeah, look around the adjacent areas of a lot of Wal-Mart stores and you will see abandoned carts everywhere. People just don't give a darn. Just let someone else do it! Really irritating. My ex used to want to just
leave the cart anywhere and I'd grab it, put it back and he'd ? me as to why I was bothering to do that? Yeah, that's the mentality!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,423,315 times
Lerner :

To answer your question.

The City of Toronto has clearly marked trucks , that collect the carts that are off the store property, and the workers are also clearly identified with photo ID cards on their shirts. The point of the by law is to make sure that shopping carts are not ending up in creeks, or ravines.

It works.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 AM

318 posts, read 472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Here in Germany all grocery stores require you place a deposit to release it from the pen. If anyone would see a shopping cart outside the pen they will take it to get the deposit, 1 euro which is the equivalent of about $1.30. I never see a cart outside the pen. So in Germany you must come to the market with a euro coin to get the shopping cart and with your own bags, most people have very nice large bags they keep in their trunk and reuse each time.
It would be great to see more stores in the U.S. institute this practice. I've seen one or two stores put in carts that require a deposit of a quarter to get a cart, but even at those I've seen abandoned carts rolling around in the parking lots. Maybe a two-quarter deposit instead would be more effective?

I use reusable shopping bags as well and think they're extremely beneficial. Instead of fifteen tiny, flimsy, plastic bags each containing two items, I leave the store with two square, sturdy packages with canvas handles.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not me. I NEVER leave a shopping card or a lumber cart any place other than where it belongs.

I try to live my life as if some kid wearing my jersey number is watching.
Amen. As do I.
Lead by example.

The answer, op, is simple.

They are selfish narcissistic aholes.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Nowadays, the store I frequent most has someone walk you out and they bring he cart back with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology