Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just can't over that people get so upset about a scratch on their car.
It's not fun to have an completely smooth car and see it get scratched again and again and again and again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
They hire people to just gather carts? No other responsibilities? WOW! That must be a busy store with so many carts.
They have several employees whose jobs include rounding up the carts. If that task never needed to be done, whey could get by with one less employees in that department.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
That is like saying it is alright to be careless and start a fire.....after all......you are providing job security for firemen, builders, insurance agents, healthcare workers.

I can't believe all of the lame excuses people are coming up with to excuse careless, selfish, lazy behavior that causes damage to other people's property.

Even more disturbing.....some seem to be proud of it.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
^^ I'm proud of myself for not leaving carts around. The corrals are there for a reason, and I'm fortunate enough to have functioning legs and arms which can push the cart in a store and all the way to the corral in the lot. Just today, I brought someone else's cart in that was left in a parking spot next to mine. I don't mind taking care of someone else's laziness if it means not getting to complain that my car got banged up.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Toronto the solution is simple. Vertical steel posts, 15 feet outside the exit doors, placed so close together that a cart cannot pass through them. Carry the bags to your car, folks.

And, the city of Toronto has contractors, who drive around and pick up stray carts, and bring them to a holding cage, and then the store owners have to pay $50 a cart to get them back. The fines go to the city, to fund a job creation program for homeless people, who learn how to recycle electronic equipment, and get a paying job, and a place to live. Unclaimed carts are cleaned up and sold, to local stores, at a discount price.

Works well, here.

Jim B

Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Lerner :

To answer your question.

The City of Toronto has clearly marked trucks , that collect the carts that are off the store property, and the workers are also clearly identified with photo ID cards on their shirts. The point of the by law is to make sure that shopping carts are not ending up in creeks, or ravines.

It works.

Jim B

Toronto.
I had to chuckle a bit at this. In the city in which we used to live it was the homeless who were stealing shopping carts so they would have something in which to store and push around their belongings. How ironic.

Most of the people who took the carts home were those who lived in subsidized housing because they didn't have cars. In that same city, almost all large stores finally put the electronic brakes on their cats so they couldn't be wheeled off the property.

The low income people didn't seem to care and often left the carts in streams and ravines. The rest of us returned the carts to the stores or the corrals. I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
lol--- so up tight... and nobody is proud of damaging others cars,, you miss the point which you do NOT want to hear!!!! you do as you please. lazy ?? I don't have time - working 2 jobs. And my special need friends love those carts and helping load!! it is their jobs, and the are happy. leave their jobs ALONE

Old 11-05-2013, 01:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Lame excuses:

1. I work two jobs and I'm too tired to put the cart in the corral.

2. "Cart collectors" will lose their jobs.

Don't carts in the corrals still have to be collected?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
It's the store employees jobs to gather the carts, period.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It's the store employees jobs to gather the carts, period.
It is the store employee job to collect the carts from the corral, but it is the shoppers' responsibility to return them to the corral. It is the right thing to do to avoid damage to other shoppers' cars and not block parking spaces. To not return the carts to the corral shows a disregard for others and laziness.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 PM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
If the store did not desire for patrons to return the carts to the corral, they would not have put corrals in. After all, it wouldn't make much sense for a store employee to go around the entire lot putting carts into the corrals only to then bring them back to the store.

I'm no genius, but this seems pretty obvious to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology