Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 PM

93 posts, read 332,007 times

Advertisements

Laziness (and yes I have done it before which is bad). I really dislike the people that will throw their car trash out thru their door (mostly at wal mart). I took a little bag of my trash from my car and threw it in the garbage can. Pretty simple and basic right? The wal mart kid who was rounding up carts actually stopped and thanked me, for doing something that should be automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
I was joking about the pushing the cart thing lol, but I do leave it wherever I feel. I keep seeing all these good samaritans saying they walk for 30 seconds because they need the exercise LOL. I guess if being lazy is lifting weights every single day until your muscles give out, and then doing cardio workout for 30 mins., then you can just start calling me the white fat Albert.
You're lazy when it comes to consideration of others. Why do you feel as if it's OK for you to just leave your cart anywhere, when there are clearly marked corrals for the carts, signs asking you to return the carts to the store or the corral, and you well know that rolling carts can damage others' vehicles, impede parking spaces, etc?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times
I think it's okay to just leave the cart abandoned in the parking lot. I say this because all these stores have several young kids employed 24/7 to round up the carts and bring them back inside. Yes, we (as a whole) could easily bring them back ourselves; but I would much rather leave them strewn about the parking lot and create a bunch of jobs for young kids who might not be unable to find employment if these jobs were unavailable. I'm not even joking in the slightest; I would much rather make Wal-mart (or whatever mega-conglomerate) shell out $7.75/hr to an army of today's youth than to bring back the carts myself and have those same young people harder up for employment and tempted by the allure of easy-money, drugs, gangs and street-life.

I mean that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I think it's okay to just leave the cart abandoned in the parking lot. I say this because all these stores have several young kids employed 24/7 to round up the carts and bring them back inside. Yes, we (as a whole) could easily bring them back ourselves; but I would much rather leave them strewn about the parking lot and create a bunch of jobs for young kids who might not be unable to find employment if these jobs were unavailable. I'm not even joking in the slightest; I would much rather make Wal-mart (or whatever mega-conglomerate) shell out $7.75/hr to an army of today's youth than to bring back the carts myself and have those same young people harder up for employment and tempted by the allure of easy-money, drugs, gangs and street-life.

No....it doesn't.

When you put the cart in a corral.....an employee still gets paid to retrieve the carts.

The only thing you are accomplishing by leaving carts scattered around the lot is damage to people's cars.

How would you feel if you came out of the store only to find a cart slammed up against your car and a nice big scratch or ding in the paint?

Would you think to yourself: "Gee, whoever left this cart loose in the lot sure was a kind and considerate person. Sure wish I could thank them." ????

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Oh, I'm a do-gooder, but I take no credit for it... I think it's that old childhood Catholic guilt & fear that an angry ninja nun might fly out at me from behind a pole with a long stick and/or mum might be watching.

Not only do I always return my cart to the corral or inside the store, no matter how far away or whether it's raining/snowing/windy, but when walking up to the store, if I see an elderly person, someone with kids or someone who looks as if they're just going to abandon their cart, I ask if I can take it for them. Their reaction isn't always a thank you or smile... it's often one of being stunned & just last week, a senior yelled at me, telling me he could return his own cart. Okay, then, no harm done... I was walking that way anyway, not implying he wasn't capable... calm down. I just said, 'Sorry' over my shoulder & kept walking. Ol' man was already having a bad day, it seems.

But, I've had 2-3 incidents where I was in my car, ready to leave the parking lot, when someone deposited a cart right in front of my vehicle. Why? Strangely, it was always near the corral, because like someone else said, I try to park near them, rather than closer to the door. Of course, they'd not seen me in the car (gee, am I that small??), but I just got out, returned it & smiled. They always look horrified, embarrassed and/or tried to avoid eye contact... I think it's the smile that catches them off-guard... they instead expect a head shake, my best Clint Eastwood glare or some sort of chastising.

What can I say... it's certainly inconsiderate behavior, but I don't wish to be caught in a shopping cart rage/hair pulling situation & end up featured on YTube. People have just too much pent up aggression these days & some of those old folks using carts as weapons move faster than angry ninja nuns.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Not only is not putting the cart into the corrals just plain selfish and lazy, but it also increases the costs for respective stores because of liability and insurance reasons (in case a shopping cart damages a car or if a shopping cart becomes stolen) and as a result it forces customers to pay more for goods. That is one of the reasons why many stores in Europe in addition to stores such as ALDI require a deposit for usage of a shopping cart.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM

207 posts, read 336,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're lazy when it comes to consideration of others. Why do you feel as if it's OK for you to just leave your cart anywhere, when there are clearly marked corrals for the carts, signs asking you to return the carts to the store or the corral, and you well know that rolling carts can damage others' vehicles, impede parking spaces, etc?
I make sure it's next to a tree, or somewhere where it won't get moved by the wind.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post

I feel the same way, people like us are probably creating jobs for today's youth.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not only is not putting the cart into the corrals just plain selfish and lazy, but it also increases the costs for respective stores because of liability and insurance reasons (in case a shopping cart damages a car or if a shopping cart becomes stolen) and as a result it forces customers to pay more for goods. That is one of the reasons why many stores in Europe in addition to stores such as ALDI require a deposit for usage of a shopping cart.
What if someone has to walk to the store, and their only way of getting back, is to bring the cart back with them?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Too many laws in the USA. Everything is illegal and enforced. People need a release. Same reason that people throw lit cigarettes at your car, litter, or j-walk. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology