U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 2,385,195 times

Advertisements

I would like to understand what happened to community, neighbors, being friendly, openess, I think some towns maybe better than others, but when it comes to the conversation, all I ask -agree people do NOT invite you over much anymore, or even care to know you, not even in churches. Now I believe if people look just like them it is easier,, but if you don't.. I don't know,, I am at a loss..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,802,078 times
Too many variables: Your age, your community, your life situation (single vs kids, old vs young), type of neighborhood, house vs condo, different weather in two different places, more toys and activities to keep people and kids busy.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM

1,199 posts, read 869,243 times
I believe it comes down to spying. The "police state" that has been created in America has gotten people more and more "private" and when you're forced to be private, you kind of withdraw from society, at least a little bit as you never know who's discussing or blamming your private conversations on social media.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,264,688 times
People are working too many hours these days. When spare time is limited, they prioritize.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 PM

447 posts, read 354,246 times
It starts with you. How many of your neighbors have you invited over for dinner?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM

921 posts, read 911,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would like to understand what happened to community, neighbors, being friendly, openess, I think some towns maybe better than others, but when it comes to the conversation, all I ask -agree people do NOT invite you over much anymore, or even care to know you, not even in churches. Now I believe if people look just like them it is easier,, but if you don't.. I don't know,, I am at a loss..
It may be a matter of perceived similarity. Population density may also have something to do with it. I've found that when I lived in areas where people live closely packed together (large cities), people tend to stay isolated and not get to know their neighbors. (Like NYers who never seem to meet let alone talk to their neighbors.) When I've lived in less-densely populated areas like suburbs and exurbs, it has seemed like neighbors were more likely to interact with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I believe it comes down to spying. The "police state" that has been created in America has gotten people more and more "private" and when you're forced to be private, you kind of withdraw from society, at least a little bit as you never know who's discussing or blamming your private conversations on social media.
Seriously? "Police state"? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
It starts with you. How many of your neighbors have you invited over for dinner?
That's a very good point, actually.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM

3,865 posts, read 2,919,451 times
Both parents working; kids with constant activity demands; being on call for work even at home; availability of any sort of entertainment in one's home any time; long commutes. These are some of the things I think that have changed our lives.

I don't look at this as a total negative, though. I sort of value my privacy regarding my neighbors.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 771,346 times
Transient neighborhood and/or rentals?
Large metro area?
Most of the adults working full time jobs and raising kids?

I would say areas like this, it is probably lack of free time to make friends with neighbors generally speaking.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM

14,537 posts, read 17,640,263 times
We have conversations with our neighbors all the time when we see them outside, borrow tools, lend a hand at times. With limited time after working and various hobbies, real socializing such as dinners are limited to good friends and family. This is despite being in the "friendliest town in the nation."

Forbes ranks Sammamish as friendliest city : The Issaquah Press – News, Sports, Classifieds and More in Issaquah, WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology