Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times

Advertisements

I am, basically, a very humanitarian person who is working in a very non-humanitarian field. As such, I'm constantly shocked by the greed, disconnection and utter lack of empathy I see day-in and day-out on the job.

The leaders in the companies I've worked for care about two things: Money and power. It drives them and it consumes them. They take it very, very seriously, often to the detriment of their marriages, relationships, health, and lives in general. It's like, somewhere down the road, they forgot what being human was, or they decided to abandon that way of living altogether.

Having gotten to know some of these people on a personal basis, what I've found is they live with a profound lack of trust, as well as a deep-seated insecurity. It's like money and power is their life-blood, and without it they consider themselves worthless. There is no "is-ness" with them, it's just about what they can do, what they can produce that measures their worth.

Not having come from a family that values money or power, I'd really like to hear from those of you who know people like this...or maybe you are one yourself. Where does this drive come from? What is the fear behind it? Would you say that insecurity is a big factor, whether you recognize it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
They have convinced themselves that their 'self worth' is realated to their real life possessions. I don't want to defend these people because i don't know them, i can only say that making money is a pretty strong driving force in my own personal life...just because if you run out of money, you live in the street and can actually starve to death. I know that's the extreme, but for a lot of people, there's really no Plan B, if you run out of money, you live in the street and starve....so, to an extent, i can see the "drive" for money is strong because your life might depend on it.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 PM

192 posts, read 257,817 times
You didn't say how high up the ladder this company is or these people. Did you ever think that maybe just maybe they aren't human?

10% of the poulation are pathological secondary psychopaths. They feel littl of anything, any emotion, any empathy or comapsion, however they do feell a LITTLE. about 2% of the poulace is aPrimasry psychopath, they feel no emotion, comapssion empathyer they feel nothing but the trill of attaining wealth and power over others.

There are many theories about some of these people take your pick, but they are metphorically or actually non human, they have, in their minds trasended emotion which they see as inferior genealogy for the slave masses. If you were able to murder and get away with it, they would want to be your hang buddy, they ADMIRE the great Dictators of today and yore!

When I finally woke up to how much evil controls this world i became hopeless and disillusioned. Just today I was thinking about how horrible it is trying to find some dignified part time work. I cant BELIEVE what they are asking people to do for 7.50 and hour, a 4 Star Hotel wants a manger can you believe it? And it's 5 jobs from 10 years ago rolled into one "position".

I earned 5.50 and hour my first job at 15 that was quickly 8, in get this, 1972.
Todays starting minimum in Tennessee is 7 50 an hour, usually 10 what I was typically getting by 1978. Think about how absolutely desolate that is. I feel so badly for people out there with these horrible exploitive predatory bosses. I wouldn't even take those jobs anymore I would rather panhandle 50 bucks a day or bus dishes for a Mom n Pop if you can find one surviving!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
These characteristics are not just true in rich people. These are common traits in all people. Maybe you just see it magnified in the rich. People who play the system to get welfare, disability, unemployment are basically doing something very similar. They are quite happy to have others work and support them. Drug dealers don't care about the damage their products cause as long as they make their money. I could count many examples besides this.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

You didn't say how high up the ladder this company is or these people. Did
you ever think that maybe just maybe they aren't human?
This has certainly crossed my mind more than once!

Quote:

These characteristics are not just true in rich people. These are common
traits in all people.
I agree with that, but with rich people there is the element of societal power, whereas with drug dealers or people working the system, power doesn't come into play (sure, drug dealers have "power", but not the kind that anyone would aspire to). A greedy, unempathic rich person can make things happen that a greedy, unempathic poor person simply can't.

It's the status that comes along with having a lot of money. Not until I entered the industry I'm in now, did I see how money and power can get you much further, much faster. It doesn't matter if you're a decent human being, it matters what sway you hold.

Sometimes I think it's not necessarily a matter of empathy, but actually a matter of mentality. If what you have been raised to value is money and/or power, you will live your life pursuing those things automatically. You don't question that mentality, it's just "what it is". As someone who was not raised to care about those things, I find it difficult to relate to people like that because they seem so one-track-minded to me.

It seems like the acquisition of money becomes the primary relationship. Other relationships take a back seat, including the relationship with self. But maybe "feeling" is what gets in the way of success...

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I am, basically, a very humanitarian person who is working in a very non-humanitarian field. As such, I'm constantly shocked by the greed, disconnection and utter lack of empathy I see day-in and day-out on the job.

The leaders in the companies I've worked for care about two things: Money and power. It drives them and it consumes them. They take it very, very seriously, often to the detriment of their marriages, relationships, health, and lives in general. It's like, somewhere down the road, they forgot what being human was, or they decided to abandon that way of living altogether.

Having gotten to know some of these people on a personal basis, what I've found is they live with a profound lack of trust, as well as a deep-seated insecurity. It's like money and power is their life-blood, and without it they consider themselves worthless. There is no "is-ness" with them, it's just about what they can do, what they can produce that measures their worth.

Not having come from a family that values money or power, I'd really like to hear from those of you who know people like this...or maybe you are one yourself. Where does this drive come from? What is the fear behind it? Would you say that insecurity is a big factor, whether you recognize it or not?
This is one of the fundamental human features.
There are four types of human beings, based on the ultimate goal of their life.
DOERS. Those live to satisfy their physical senses.
TRADERS. Those live to satisfy their sense of gain.
THINKERS Those live to obtain knowledge on how things operate
KNOWERS Those have some knowledge on The Truth.

Current civilization is traders one.

Desire for gain, or power, is twisted sexual desire. As much as a man is craving a woman, so much is a trader craving gain, should it be in form of money, or other possessions. They do crave power, as power gives them faulse perception of security to their gains.
What they do not realize, is that NO ONE on Earth actually possesses anything. Everything of physical belongs to Nature, everything spiritual belongs to The Light of Intelligence, or Great Consciousness.
Human only has a false perception of owning "something", forgetting, due to its mental limitations, caused by its destiny, that he or she comes naked into this world, and naked leaves it, not being able to retain ANYTHING it craved and "possessed" during short physical existence.
Such inclinations, as much as belonging to a specific human type, are determined by one's destiny, during the process of dying, based on the dying person last thought, which is conglomerate of all cravings and desires that human developed during that existence.
They can be changed, adjusted, only by one's conscious thinking.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

The bottom line is that the world is run by a tiny number of extreme sociopaths (much smaller than "the 1%", more like .000001%), so anyone who gets to high levels in the money/power pyramid will most likely be like the sociopaths who run it. It's true regardless of the industry you're talking about (religion/politics/education/medicine/entertainment/arts, etc.).

Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What they do not realize, is that NO ONE on Earth actually possesses anything. Everything of physical belongs to Nature, everything spiritual belongs to The Light of Intelligence, or Great Consciousness.

They can be changed, adjusted, only by one's conscious thinking.
Sadly though, most people in general will never wake up to this realization. It's shocking how the basis of spirituality is the exact opposite of what our society is currently founded on: Greed. People think that if they stop for one second, they're going to get run over by everyone else - which is not untrue. To abandon greed and choose to live a spiritual life of consciousness is a huge paradigm shift that most people don't have the guts to take on, IMO.

Quote:
The bottom line is that the world is run by a tiny number of extreme sociopaths
(much smaller than "the 1%", more like .000001%), so anyone who gets to high
levels in the money/power pyramid will most likely be like the sociopaths who
run it.
I would say the number is much higher than the textbook 1%. I think that sociopathy is growing exponentially in our society today and is much more prevalent than we think. I've seen so many people justify their horrible, unethical behavior and really believe that what they're doing is ok. They're able to accomplish this by completely ignoring the feelings and well-being of other people. They delude themselves into thinking their selfish behavior is ok, and abandon empathy altogether. Denial is a very strong defense mechanism.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times
Some people power trip and get addicted to being "over others," I guess it is an ego boost for some or definitely some deep-seated insecurity issues. The same thing can be said for some individuals who are extremely wealthy. Generally speaking, such rich people have some power and influence as well.

As they go through life, some people find a balance in life with such things, while some others never do and are "drunk with power and/or money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology