Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,526 times

Advertisements

I know the general consensus is that it's great to be tall, but I personally hate it. I am 6'6 and I feel like a towering giant. Not only do you stand out, but buying clothes is a nightmare, you generally give off the wrong vibe (I am shy and introverted, not confident or domineering) and if you're tall and unattractive, you are basically a walking billboard that reads "hey look at me, I'm tall and ugly". Plus you get those stupid comments from people about whether you play basketball. Plane seats are tantamount to 3-5 hours of torture.

Any others feel the same way? I honestly wish I were around 5'10. Tallness and social anxiety do not mix either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,135,159 times
6-5 here. Yes the clothes are an issue, but I like being tall, and am not self-concious about it. I don't think of myself as tall.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
We've had some posts on here that refers to this before. I don't "hate" my height, although I did when I was 14 and hit 6'1" (I am a woman). I'm now 55. There are some things about being too tall that are annoying still, and I was actually thinking about it this morning when I was in the restroom. I'm tired today and my back is a little achey, and having to bend my knees just to wash my hands and then to have to stoop to use the air dryer to dry them is annoying. The world is not made for us. Even at home, normal people can JUST STAND THERE at their kitchen sink and wash dishes and not have to bend forward and get that ache in their back. These aren't the worst things in the world, I know, but as I said, I'm tired today and they are annoying.

What I do like about being this tall is that I'll never be ordinary. I'm otherwise very ordinary-looking, with the sort of bland looks/face that would just blend in to a crowd and be unrecognizable except that I'm over six feet tall so people recognize me, lol. Of course, not being like everyone else is what I hated about it when I was very young! I just wanted to be normal.

On the down side, it's very hard to buy clothing. You can be 400 pounds but as long as you're normal height, there are stores to shop in for you. There are no brick-and-mortar stores for tall women. We have to buy from catalogs or online for things like suits and jackets and coats or blouses to get sleeves and waistlines long enough. Sometimes you can get "long" or "tall" pants at certain stores, though.

And then there are relationships. Most men want a "normal" woman to show to their family and friends, and very few will want to be seen with a woman who is taller than normal, especially if we are taller than THEY are. I have noticed, however, that the youngest generation of adults now is less picky about this. In the past few years, I've seen a few young couples with a woman who is taller. It's nice to see that change.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Many men below average height would like your problem. The height challenged man has to be twice as ambitious, good as conversation and intelligent to succeed in the dating pool than his taller brother.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM

552 posts, read 716,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Many men below average height would like your problem. The height challenged man has to be twice as ambitious, good as conversation and intelligent to succeed in the dating pool than his taller brother.
This is true. I was that tall lanky kid in elementary and middle school and always wished I was normal height, but then I got my wish because I topped out at 5'11 in 8th grade, which isn't short but I wish I was a few inches taller now.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,766,345 times
I'm 6'0", which some would say is tall. Its above the national average. It's also a minimum requirement for all single women it seems, even if they're 5'2". So from that standpoint, I'm happy. I may not be considered tall on this thread. But one thing that has always annoyed me about being tall is I have big feet. When I was a kid in high school and my feet were growing faster than I was (5'3" and wearing a size 12), it was awful. I was made fun of and self conscious. I'm still a little self conscious about my size 13 feet, but not as much now. It can be a pain to find shoes though.

Last edited by Atlguy39; 08-29-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,118,254 times
I'd rather be tall than short. As a junior in high school I was pretty well bullied, ignored etc. At that time I was 5'2" and 90 lbs. Then I started to grow. Drafted and went into Navy at 21 and 6', still grew an inch after that. Definitely noticed that as I grew I got more respect. Check around and you will find a lot more respect for taller people than short people. May not be as tall as OP was complaining about but if he was suddenly a foot shorter it wouldn't take long for him to change his mind.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 AM

454 posts, read 789,620 times
I'm not that tall for a woman by any means (5'7"). But during growing up and being that height since age 12, i was continually told "you're such a giant, compared to cute petite little girlies the way girls are supposed to be". So, for many years it bothered me and i felt self-conscious and unfeminine. Then one day you grow up, and such things as being too tall/short, too curly/straight hair, size 5 shoes or big size 8 feet, are not the monumental problems you once thought they were

Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,222,907 times
Your problem isn't your height---it's your outlook.

If you were short, you'd be bemoaning that, and if you were of average height you'd be self conscious about some other aspect of your appearance.

It's mainly in your head.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:11 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
I'm 6-5 and don't "hate" it.
But there is daily inconvenience of some sort. I dislike having to get on my knees to read parking meter pay terminals.
And squatting to read other things, like gas pumps.
And not having much of a shoe selection, although that has improved over the years to some extent.
And bumping my head.
And trying on cars like they are shoes, because there are many that I cannot get into and close the door. And driving a convertible means that the top frame of the windshield is directly in my line of sight.

But, my petite wife finds it convenient that I can reach stuff on top shelves, hang Christmas tree lights, etc., so I guess there are some benefits.

I agree with others, though. I would rather be 6-5 than 5-6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology