Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,182,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
The existence of many laws has nothing to do with morality.
ah, expound...

My point being my morality and character wouldn't let me do certain things whether they are legal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The only things I can think of that I'd do would be:

--Walk my dogs and not pick up the poop
--Burn a pile of leaves and branches in my back yard rather than bag them and tie them the way the trash Nazis in my town require us to. Of course I'd do it safely and not allow the fire to spread.
--Carry my handgun in NJ (I live in PA, but NJ doesn't allow it). Since it'll be a whole day of lots of crime & mayhem, if I had to go to work (in NJ) I'd have to be carrying in order to protect myself.
--Buy raw-milk artisan cheese right out in the open instead of "underground"
Jeez, just come live in the country, none of those things are illegal here! I refuse to live anywhere I have to pick up dog poop - that's just strange and weird.

Except I don't know if carrying handguns is illegal or legal here - I don't own a gun because if I had one, and:

If it were legal - I'd pick off all of the people who ride motorcycles, 4-wheelers and snowmobiles in the woods by my house. But someone else would have to come pick up the bodies or bury them; eeeew, I couldn't do that.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,403,392 times
I will go to Chicago and go Base jumping.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 AM

319 posts, read 623,323 times
Hell yeah, I'll shoplift and take whatever I've always coveted.

I'll probably get involved in some shoddy insider trading deals myself.

Serious crimes that actually physically hurt people? I couldn't bring myself to do it, no matter how much they've wronged me. Maybe I'll hire a hitman..

Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,494,088 times
Oh, I thought about another thing I would do. It would require a lot of preparation and help so I would need some fellow lawbreakers with me. I would go around and take animals from people who are abusing or neglecting them in areas where Animal Control can't or won't do anything. Did you know that in some areas it's legal to keep dogs in boxes as long as the box is big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around? I have no moral qualms about taking a dog being treated like that. None at all. Actually, if I had the chance I'd probably take the dog even if it wasn't legal that day.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 AM

26,683 posts, read 41,560,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I believe this was the background to the premise of a movie, The Purge, that came out this year. I didn't see the movie, but it's interesting to consider how society would react to a policy like that.

Personally, I can't see myself robbing a store or stabbing my ex boyfriend even if their were no legal repercussions. Laws are only created for the relatively few individuals who don't have the sense or principles to otherwise behave appropriately with the rest of society, and those individuals are the kind of people who'll go ahead and break the laws anyway.

Or maybe it'd work like a riot, where a few people behaving chaotically cause everyone else to behave chaotically in response.

Anyway, can see yourself ever doing something that's typically outlawed if it was temporarily legal? I mean, maybe if we still lived in the days of Prohibition I'd take the opportunity to get plastered with my friends, but that's about the extent of it for me.
Hell yeah. Let's see I'd jack a Camaro, head down to Southern VA to get some revenge on some folks, then I'd acquire a nice sum of money by any means necessary. Also, I'd blaze up on some weed.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM

993 posts, read 1,554,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Oh, I thought about another thing I would do. It would require a lot of preparation and help so I would need some fellow lawbreakers with me. I would go around and take animals from people who are abusing or neglecting them in areas where Animal Control can't or won't do anything. Did you know that in some areas it's legal to keep dogs in boxes as long as the box is big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around? I have no moral qualms about taking a dog being treated like that. None at all. Actually, if I had the chance I'd probably take the dog even if it wasn't legal that day.
Oh wow, that's a good one! I'd take it a step even further and lock the owners in a crate (and of course come back and unlock them the next day).

Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,051,896 times
Yes I would. And there's no way I would be discussing what I'll be doing on here.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 AM

368 posts, read 575,933 times
Banks are gonna have a rough day lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,410,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'd catch up on some insider trading.
Bingo I want to exp. the advantages Goldman Sachs and Congress have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology