Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

Riding my bicycle as a primary means of transport, I'll either be dealing with the typical flat inner-tube, or some inclement weather I just get caught in.
Either way, I know how to repair the flats and if it's cold and windy, I know my trip-time will be increased incrementally and I will just deal with it and press on.
However, I'll get these random strangers who drive up and stop even when I'm not making any eye contact with them and ask if I'm alright or if I need a lift, or some other expression of "concern well-being".
Very few times will a simple wave of the hand, or "I'm good" will get them to leave hastily.
Sometimes they'll go after a five-minute explanation of what I'm doing, or they'll insist that I'll get sick if I don't accept their offer.
For fears of back-lash, I myself tend to just roll on by and assume they've got things under control.

I don't know about everyone else, but especially with Fall/Winter coming up, I'm not wanting to put up with these annoyances.
Is this just being overly self-reliant? Or am I just being mean some times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I re-arranged your paragraphs to make your post better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Riding my bicycle as a primary means of transport, I'll either be dealing with the typical flat inner-tube, or some inclement weather I just get caught in. Either way, I know how to repair the flats and if it's cold and windy, I know my trip-time will be increased incrementally and I will just deal with it and press on.

However, I'll get these random strangers who drive up and stop even when I'm not making any eye contact with them and ask if I'm alright or if I need a lift, or some other expression of "concern well-being". Very few times will a simple wave of the hand, or "I'm good" will get them to leave hastily. Sometimes they'll go after a five-minute explanation of what I'm doing, or they'll insist that I'll get sick if I don't accept their offer. For fears of back-lash, I myself tend to just roll on by and assume they've got things under control.

I don't know about everyone else, but especially with Fall/Winter coming up, I'm not wanting to put up with these annoyances. Is this just being overly self-reliant? Or am I just being mean some times?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I re-arranged your paragraphs to make your post better...
Good for you.

I spent too much time arguing with the teacher in English class and was ultimately kicked out of too many of them at the grade school and college levels.

This is a discussion forum, not an English course.

But if you're insinuating I should go retake and get kicked out of one again on my own dime, then it's not going to happen.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I think you have to remember that people are just trying to be kind and considerate when they offer to help. You probably look like you're in great need of it and I think people who stop to help should be commended for trying to go out of their way to help a stranger they think is in need. That doesn't mean you have to accept their help but when you get annoyed, try to remember they're only doing it because they are good people.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I always think being kind is the priority.

Get irritated internally, that is your choice...but I suggest
choosing kindness, with tact that you are 'doing great, and
don't have time to talk, have a great day and thanks', and turn away to fix the bike.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Anger therapy.
(Your response is not rational).

Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Wow. What an ingrate.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
"...mean sometimes."

Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Anger therapy.
I agree.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Anger therapy.
Tried that once. And left before I decided to scream at the guy.

I'm cheap and not willing to lose any of my money to some over-educated snob who thinks he/she can make everyone permanently happy.

Some of you see it as kindness, I see it as people who just can't leave well enough alone.

If I'm being flagged down and they're genuinely in need of it, then I'll gladly stop and render any assistance.

If it looks like they're handling their situation, I'll only leave them alone out of fear they'll act just like I will.

Also, it seems the amount of people that suggest therapy and meds are growing at an ever-increasing rate.

Ingrate and proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology