U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed that some people seem to look exactly the same in every photograph they're in? The same expression, their face looks eerily always THE SAME. Even when they're posing differently, lighting conditions, hairstyle. While others can look dramatically different from photo to photo. I'm one of the latter. Honestly, I look like a different person in every photo I'm in! Sometimes people think it's a different person.

I wonder why that is? Is there some come of psychology behind it? It's not something I've heard anyone else discuss something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 PM

147 posts, read 238,096 times
Yes, I have seen this and wondered the same thing! I look different in every photo, too.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Some people have a "photo" face. They hold their muscles the same way, turn their head the same way. Also, probably the same few people are taking the photos of them with the same camera.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,805 times
They're aliens. I saw someone who looked exactly the same in every photo as if someone just copied him into every single one. It was so strange to me, I complimented him on that awesomeness. It really is interesting when it's snapshots. Photography in a controlled setting with intentional styling and touching up, you can get that, but when we're talking different lighting, different places, different days, different everything and yet they look like a freeze frame of the same moment in time in each one, totally intriguing. I look different in all of my pics too. A different monster lol

Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some people have a "photo" face. They hold their muscles the same way, turn their head the same way. Also, probably the same few people are taking the photos of them with the same camera.
Yes, that's partly it. A lot of these people who look the same put on the same cheesy/fake smile every time lol.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 3,298 times
I noticed that a coworker looked exactly the same in every photo. He had a photo face - the same quizzical expression, with his mouth slightly open. It was like Conan saying, "Huh?!" back in the day.

I've seen people who look different every time you look at them IN PERSON. It's hard to remember what they look like; they don't seem to have a general, static "look." It's like they're a different sort of entity completely - not exactly human. It's like they're a shapeshifter. Who are you if you don't have a general, basic, concrete look?

Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM

39,014 posts, read 37,656,456 times
I have a friend who is very well known, and her adult daughter does this in photos.

It's so bizarre, but in every single photo I see of her she is holding her head in exactly the same way and making the same facial expression. Every single one.

It's like her self-esteem is so precarious that she can't dare let a truly candid photo of herself be shown.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 PM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
I had a coworker who had a pretty cranky default personality. She looked angry most of the time, too. I got along with her well enough, but she had problems with other coworkers. She eventually got fired after sending one a threatening email using company computer equipment.

But if it was time for a picture, she composed her face and displayed this huge, beautiful smile and twinkling eyes. So, I remarked one day how she always smiles so nicely in pictures, and she said her father was a photographer so she had learned to do that from childhood. So, in pictures she looks fun and pleasant, but that's not her personality at all.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:13 AM

714 posts, read 990,682 times
yeah, there's this girl who always posts pics of herself, and she looks the same in every one. I'm like, why even bother posting new pics, you always have the same expression (smiling), and you could probably just photoshop a different hairstyle and people probably wouldn't know the difference. at least post one where you're not smiling, so I can see what you really look like and that you're not some brain-dead zombie.

me, on the other hand...it seems like people are always trying to figure out if I'm pretty or ugly. (I'm still trying to figure it out, myself.) I look good from some angles, or when I'm smiling...but others, I look hideous. I had to keep putting up pictures online, because people would keep asking for more (because they still couldn't tell what I looked like). and then some guy I was talking to, was like, "you look like 10 different people." and I was like...I am!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 AM

714 posts, read 990,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But if it was time for a picture, she composed her face and displayed this huge, beautiful smile and twinkling eyes. So, I remarked one day how she always smiles so nicely in pictures, and she said her father was a photographer so she had learned to do that from childhood. So, in pictures she looks fun and pleasant, but that's not her personality at all.
that sounds like me. when I smile I look good, but otherwise I look ugly and angry or miserable. people have always said "oh, you have such a nice smile" and "you should smile more often" which really means, "you look like crap when you don't".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or