Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times

Advertisements

I'm either out of my mind crazy or know exactly what I'm talking about. You tell me.

Let's say your overweight. I don't care how much, but your physically overweight. You eat what you want everyday and never work out. Wishing or telling yourself that you should lose 30 pounds won't do anything. Waking up and eating what you want and never setting foot on a treadmill won't fix the problem either. You have to CHANGE. Try to take a breif 10 minute walk everyday along with eating fewer calories and you will lose weight. There is no guarantee that doing this for a month you will lose 10 pounds. I do guarantee you that doing NOTHING will still keep you overweight!

My GF often complains that we need new pillows and a new bed. I fully agree. It was a cheap $300 matress 3 years ago from her parents when she moved across states. It even slumps down on one side. The pillows are over a year old....you need 3 just to have a normal sized pillow. What do you do? Complaining every night won't fix anything. Noone will buy you a quality matress besides yourself. Noone owes you anything let alone a matress. Some people don't even have a matress to sleep on! Work some OT, don't go out to eat every week...anything. You will have to change your finances around assuming you can't shell out 1k for a new mattress. Which we can't. I can see this. She unfortunately can't....yet at least.

If you have a problem, why don't people try to fix it?

Complaining will never fix the problem. Noone owes you more money or a house to live in. You are the only ones who can do this.

This is your only chance (unless you believe in reincarnation). You can either try to fix your problems or do nothing. The problems won't become fixed on their own. Again there is no guarantee that TRYING will fix your problem. I do guarantee that doing nothing won't fix anything. You will be in the same position day after day and year after year.

I've really started to think differently than the norm lately. I don't want to be like everyone else with a 30k car loan and a 150k house with new ipads and gadgets on a 45k salary. I want to prove people wrong. I don't want to be the person who complains about being overweight or too skinny and never having money. I won't happen.

So why don't people change? I can't be the only one who can see this am I?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Force of habit.
Laziness.
Needing a reason to complain.
Lack of discipline.
Convenience
Money
physical ability
Inability to take ownershop of mistakes

I don't get it either. My ex put himself willingly in situations that I warned him of and then complained about it. Annoyed the crap out of me. And then he did it again a few weeks later. And complained again ... Like I said "ex" ... he is history.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Many can't change due to mental issues. Some only change if the environment changes. If they have a toxic environment it won't change. Support will only change them. Guidance helps often. Everyone has a inner self that may come out with being stronger as they age. Many don't and give up.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Many can't change due to mental issues. Some only change if the environment changes. If they have a toxic environment it won't change. Support will only change them. Guidance helps often. Everyone has a inner self that may come out with being stronger as they age. Many don't and give up.
Or appear to change and then for whichever reason, revert back to their old selves.

Perhaps some found that with change comes the responsibility to maintain the new ways.
Either some lost track of the steps and found their way back, or some just got tired.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Or appear to change and then for whichever reason, revert back to their old selves.

Perhaps some found that with change comes the responsibility to maintain the new ways.
Either some lost track of the steps and found their way back, or some just got tired.
Stress does do it often. Life has neverending changes that some can't adapt too or are very stubborn to deal with it.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Change is a tough nut to crack. It requires major work from the individual and help and support from others. I know first hand that it requires work. The individual must work some things out inside him/herself, sometimes leaving behind old friends and acquaintances. Change is not like flipping a light switch as too many people believe. Takes a great deal of motivation.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,298 times
The older I get.. the more I've come to realize that the majority of people are either ignorant or suffer from some type of personality disorder / mental illness.

I'm not excluding myself either.

Its best to just be at peace with yourself and who you are. You are not really responsible for other people. All you can do is offer them advice, help and wisdom. If they don't take it or follow it... whatever.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
If you have a problem, why don't people try to fix it?
Of course, the classic response to this would be: My lifestyle works for me, so why does it bother you?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM

175 posts, read 257,109 times
The way I see it, anyone will change if they are TRULY unhappy. Some people have a higher, (or lower depending on your point of view) threshold for misery. But you have to reach that low point to where you want to change, and some never do. Some know they're miserable but they've become comfortable in their misery that they don't care. For overweight people for example, it's more miserable to do something about your circumstances than it is to overeat.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
If you need a new mattress, I recommend you try a foam mattress with memory foam on top. They are incredibly comfortable. They can be found for way less than $1,000. I bought one off of Ebay (off brand, but new) for like $299 and it is a king. I believe Walmart has one as well and you can have it shipped to your place. These are way better than regular spring mattresses. Not sure on the pillows. They seem to last a long time. If they are a year old, I'd say you will get many more out of them. I don't think people buy new pillows every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology