U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Reputation: 14851

Advertisements

Now, what the heck is ego, tho

I have it under a lot of control...I know that pride is uncool.
I know fear, hate, anger, envy all come from ego or the Ego.

But, I have an ex friend that said the word ego more than anyone.
She never gave a compliment, showed little apppreciation for things...I see now if
I or someone beamed...she later told you you had a big ego.

My ego is like an 8 yr olds that hits a home run and looks back at his parents.
This excitement and pride in something you've done ....is innocent ok "ego".

I have done remarkable things in the name of God....healings and such...and I tell people
with so much happiness...it glorifies God, opens people to the possibility of Supernatural
events...its a joyous thing....but boy, do I ever get cr*p from people that
think joyous proclaiming about something is ego.

Moving away from that friend I can now say....I am so cute, I looked great last night, I cooked a fabulous
dinner last night..."I"..."I"..."I"...so there.
And because I know who I am, if that is ego....I dunno...I am blessed so much because
I know God loves me and I love Him and my hand is in His and He loves that....
So sue me...I don't have low self esteem.


My ego serves me well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
 
2,787 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Reputation: 3102
Ego is misunderstood. It is not about feeling good about oneself but thinking that one's life and one's destiny is all in one's control. It is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Reputation: 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ego is misunderstood. It is not about feeling good about oneself
but thinking that one's life and one's destiny is all in one's control. It is not.
I have never heard this before.
A common use of ego is when someone acts full of themselves or conceited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
Reputation: 5654
There are many definitions of ego including your definition and that other definition, so no, the other poster is wrong, you did not misunderstood it.

Ego:
1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.
2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.
3.
a. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.
b. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

ego - definition of ego by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now, what the heck is ego, tho

I have it under a lot of control...I know that pride is uncool.
I know fear, hate, anger, envy all come from ego or the Ego.

But, I have an ex friend that said the word ego more than anyone.
She never gave a compliment, showed little apppreciation for things...I see now if
I or someone beamed...she later told you you had a big ego.

My ego is like an 8 yr olds that hits a home run and looks back at his parents.
This excitement and pride in something you've done ....is innocent ok "ego".

I have done remarkable things in the name of God....healings and such...and I tell people
with so much happiness...it glorifies God, opens people to the possibility of Supernatural
events...its a joyous thing....but boy, do I ever get cr*p from people that
think joyous proclaiming about something is ego.

Moving away from that friend I can now say....I am so cute, I looked great last night, I cooked a fabulous
dinner last night..."I"..."I"..."I"...so there.
And because I know who I am, if that is ego....I dunno...I am blessed so much because
I know God loves me and I love Him and my hand is in His and He loves that....
So sue me...I don't have low self esteem.


My ego serves me well.
I'm not gonna sue you but in my limited experience our ego needs to kept in check

I think most of us are very egocentric but some people take it to unbearable territories where they become a social pest. Their need to feed their ego is so big that they forget about other people's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Canada
196 posts, read 326,286 times
Reputation: 423
I had a former manager who had a great perspective on ego. He said ego is like cholesterol. There is good ego, and bad ego, and the trick is to make sure we have enough of the good, and not too much of the bad.

This relates especially to business, as bad ego would be things like:
- Always needing to have things your way
- Taking credit for the ideas of others
- Refusing to listen to others
- Taking credit for success and blaming others for failure

Good ego is things such as:
- Standing up for ideas or principles you believe in
- Being confident when leading others
- Truly listening to others, and allowing their ideas to challenge the ones you already hold
- Then adapting these ideas to your own, and confidently championing them as if they came from you

In my opinion, ego comes wholly from confidence/insecurity. The more truly confident you are, and the better you know this about yourself, the better able you are to keep your ego balance in check. If you know you have balance, and someone accuses you of having a big ego, then I think it is coming from where they are and their insecurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Reputation: 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I'm not gonna sue you but in my limited experience
our ego needs to kept in check

I think most of us are very egocentric but some people take it to unbearable territories
where they become a social pest.
Their need to feed their ego is so big that they forget about other people's needs.
Yes.
And,I watch my ego all the time or whatever that is that is not truly "me"...that
wants me to have that second piece of chololate cake....that is also something I
call ego...some monster inside me that is not doing me any good!

If anything feels icky...pride, indignation, huffiness are all easy ones to feel
dealing with people., (and slso not doing me any good)...I instantly know that is ego
rearing it's ugly head and I stomp
on it big time...and do NOT act on it...that is what I see often... unkindness bec of quick over
reactions that is not even that person's true self...which is a wonderful person....they
are not this "ego"...that is behaving badly.

Yes, the ego needs to be checked constantly it seems...it also manifests as procrastination in me.
I recognize it immediately and get to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Reputation: 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
I had a former manager who had a great perspective on ego. He said ego is like cholesterol. There is good ego, and bad ego, and the trick is to make sure we have enough of the good, and not too much of the bad.

This relates especially to business, as bad ego would be things like:
- Always needing to have things your way
- Taking credit for the ideas of others
- Refusing to listen to others
- Taking credit for success and blaming others for failure

Good ego is things such as:
- Standing up for ideas or principles you believe in
- Being confident when leading others
- Truly listening to others, and allowing their ideas to challenge the ones you already hold
- Then adapting these ideas to your own, and confidently championing them as if they came from you

In my opinion, ego comes wholly from confidence/insecurity. The more truly confident you are, and the better you know this about yourself, the better able you are to keep your ego balance in check. If you know you have balance, and someone accuses you of having a big ego, then I think it is coming from where they are and their insecurity.
This is probably the clearest, most helpful explanation I have ever heard!
I want to print it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM
 
2,787 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Reputation: 3102
Ego is when you attach more importance to outcome than it deserves, be it success, beauty, wealth.
When you view them as being lucky, being at the right time at the right place and things could have easily gone the other way, then you are being in your true self, your best self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
 
17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Reputation: 32772
From what I remember from my psych class, there are 3 components, the Id, which is the part of the ego that wants what it wants and wants it now, the Ego itself, which expresses what the Id wants in socially acceptable ways and tempers it, and the Superego, which is the part that holds morals and values. I would guess in everyone, some parts are overdeveloped and some underdeveloped. I think it's the id that makes me mad when someone cuts me off in traffic, and the ego that keeps me from doing something stupid in retaliation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top