Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,432,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I remember a story, science fiction, about 25 years ago, about a woman, who had four walls of her home, with giant screens, and she lived with the virtual reality of those walls. Never left her home, stopped eating....because she could not leave her screens.

Internet addiction is real, and screen addiction is part of it. We will see this more of an issue in the next fifty years.
With how technology is advancing exponentially we won't have to wait 50 years but more like 10-20 years. Plus it won't be on our walls but we will connect directly to the Internet and the virtual reality. I am already planning on how I want my reality to be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Wait till we have virtual reality.
I can imagine people voluntarily 'living' in the 'Holodeck' on Star Trek Next Generation or using 'the circuit' of Logan's Run

Logan's Run (1976 film) Party at Logan's - YouTube

begs the question... if you could put people who think they will get 70 virgins when they die in the holodeck to 'play dead' (i.e. with 70 virtual virgins) would they ever blow themselves up?

Now, I must push myself away from the C-D forum....must... do... something... else....

Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,303,612 times
How about Woody Allen's orgasmatron from Sleeper?

The brain circuitry that is triggered with some of the more 'simple' addictions (drugs, ETOH) is similarly responsive with other behaviors including sex, electronics, gambling, and things that used to be much more benign. The addictive quality is the consumption of time and the removal from functional living as well as the costs of engaging in these activities. People lose jobs, savings, family, self-respect, marriages, and secure financial, interpersonal, and legal difficulties when there are addictions.

If people were simply more engaged in life and had a better centered sense of self, much of this would not be an issue. We are always seeking to compensate, and that is where the most trouble lies. Being able to walk away from ANYTHING has become a huge source of health, living in an overwhelmingly self-indulgent, self-absorbed, and self-stimulating society.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,843,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
With how technology is advancing exponentially we won't have to wait 50 years but more like 10-20 years. Plus it won't be on our walls but we will connect directly to the Internet and the virtual reality. I am already planning on how I want my reality to be like.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question, and everything to do with your own single-minded "singularity" fixation, which is your own addiction.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,058,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I've never seen anybody on the internet while pooping, or driving...
Guilty...but not while pooping AND driving...

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM

29,718 posts, read 34,294,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
The brain circuitry that is triggered with some of the more 'simple' addictions (drugs, ETOH) is similarly responsive with other behaviors including sex, electronics, gambling, and things that used to be much more benign. The addictive quality is the consumption of time and the removal from functional living as well as the costs of engaging in these activities. People lose jobs, savings, family, self-respect, marriages, and secure financial, interpersonal, and legal difficulties when there are addictions.
I've read that the addictive trigger in compulsive gamblers is the same as in people who get hooked on the internet (or even cell phones.) Instead of feeding quarters into the slot machine, they keep checking for new messages, new blog posts, new responses to their posts on a message board, etc, hoping for that payoff.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 AM

26,672 posts, read 26,690,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've read that the addictive trigger in compulsive gamblers is the same as in people who get hooked on the internet (or even cell phones.)
Probably. Internet addiction fueled by gene mutation, scientists say | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM

26,672 posts, read 26,690,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I can imagine people voluntarily... using 'the circuit' of Logan's Run
A great film!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,315,397 times
True that is the bad news here is the good u will become a better writer if you listen

Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,315,397 times
The grave mistake of Internet participation is false intimacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology