Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times

Advertisements

I talk to myself in the car now and then, usually if something is really bothering me. What I always do though is talk, yell, and say things to people that screw up driving, not where they can hear me, just to myself in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
I talk to myself a lot lately for some reason, not just in the car. Sometimes I catch myself and I think dang, dial it back, people gon' think you crazy!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM

47 posts, read 62,082 times
I talk to myself everyday, some days more often than others but i do talk to myself a lot. When I am in the car I usually have headphones or bluetooth on so that it doesnt seeem so weird lol.

Dont feel bad youre not alone!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else sometimes talk to themselves when they are driving?

I don't do it very often. Usually it is after I have been hanging out with people. I will starting saying things, imagining I am talking to the person in the passenger seat. It's pretty bad, I'll make a joke and start laughing, like it's so funny that I not only made the other person laugh, but I can't keep myself from laughing either. Then I'll change the tone, suddenly getting serious like I am making an important serious point along the same topic.

Lets be clear here. You are not talking to yourself. There is a difference between talking to yourself and talking to imaginary others. Talking to yourself, like some observing ego, would be:
"Ok Buddy, just calm down, this is not worth being angry over...." or "ok, you can do it, it's just giving a talk to a group of people, its not dangerous or scary, its normal, its part of your job..." .etc.

Talking to an imaginary passenger is not quite the same thing. Its not inevitably a sign of anything amiss, but it would give me pause for thought that's for sure.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM

19,963 posts, read 13,455,445 times
I have been known to do it, quietly and unobtrusively, in the car or on a walk. I don't think it's aberrant in and of itself, it is simply vocalizing the stream-of-consciousness that we already have in between our ears -- I find that it helps work it all through more clearly than just having a bunch of jumbled thoughts. It's my way of testing ideas.

I have always said it's okay to talk to yourself so long as you don't start answering ;-)

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have been known to do it, quietly and unobtrusively, in the car or on a walk. I don't think it's aberrant in and of itself, it is simply vocalizing the stream-of-consciousness that we already have in between our ears -- I find that it helps work it all through more clearly than just having a bunch of jumbled thoughts. It's my way of testing ideas.

I have always said it's okay to talk to yourself so long as you don't start answering ;-)
that's ok too mordant, cause I do both, and I [think] I'm ok

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
The thing these days is you can't tell who is talking to themselves and who has one of those ear piece cell phones glued in their ear 24/7.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Sometimes the most intelligent conversation I've had all day is with myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times
Talking to yourself is one thing, though it becomes a problem when you're getting answers that you didn't expect.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology