Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if you woke up as the opposite gender?
Commit suicide 7 8.64%
Try to get surgery to correct it ASAP 3 3.70%
Make the best of it, but not be happy at akk 26 32.10%
Embrace your new gender, becoming happier than you were before 45 55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Isn't gender more psychological & social than biological?

To explore the opposite gender, you don't need a fantasy like that.

You can try as you are, as long as you are psychologically prepared.
That's the problem: I'm not psychologically prepared in the sense of the judgmental outside world. Transgender people who go through with transition are mentally very tough. I would say you have to be in order to deal with flack, discrimination and the risk you'd take regarding employment and not knowing how your family or existing friends will react.

I'm not interested in just causally exploring within the confines of my home. Crossdressers do that, but they generally want to remain male and it's a fetish. I would only be content with living my life full time as a woman, but in my current state of mind, that isn't likely to happen.

It's interesting that many people who've responded in this thread would like to try out being the opposite gender, but would prefer to revert back after experiencing (mostly sexual) pleasure and fun.

I wish gender weren't as important to the rest of the world. People would be more able to be or become themselves without fear of repercussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Perhaps be adopted! Recall this story?

Fla. man adopts his 42-year-old girlfriend - CBS News

Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
A friend of mine and I (we're both heterosexual females) both agreed we'd want to run out and have sex first thing, because we're curious what it's like from the male POV.

After that....I dunno. Guess make the best of it?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:11 AM

283 posts, read 447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
That's the problem: I'm not psychologically prepared in the sense of the judgmental outside world. Transgender people who go through with transition are mentally very tough. I would say you have to be in order to deal with flack, discrimination and the risk you'd take regarding employment and not knowing how your family or existing friends will react.
Yeah. cross-dresers and transgenders often go through a period where they suck at being the gender they 'want' to be, and might are 'ugly' while androgynous. But in most cases you can pass as male until you are SURE to be a 'good' female then dress as female if MTF and the same as FTM -> effeminate/androgynous males are 'better off' in acceptance than similar females. 'ugly female' or 'pretty boy' etc.

Being suddenly born as the opposite sex removes the problem of stubble, or skin burns, or other stuff crossdressers go through, and the fear many transgender have of 'passing well as the opposite sex' or being outed as transgender immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
No pressure to look young.
Depending on your social context, males are pressured to look young as well.

Quote:
And I'd love to do that thing that men do where they don't see dirt. It's like they really don't see clutter or mess or things that need to be cleaned. I'd love to have that ability.
They do; they just don't care and can live with a floor full of garbage and recycling for a few weeks until they get around to fixing it or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I would hate lugging that "junk" around. It just seems so inconvenient and sloppy.
Loose clothing, as well as some undergarments prevent that

Quote:
I would still insist on shaving my armpits. I could not live with hairy sweaty pits. In fact, I'd probably choose to be some weird sort of shaved, hairless man.
There are males who shave their armpits

Quote:
I would be bothered by not always knowing exactly how I think and feel about things, and how I arrived at those opinions. I'm very self-examining, and like to turn thoughts over and over and fully understand how I got there. I can't imagine having unknown, unfathomed areas in my mind.

There are males who engage in such behaviours/mental OS analysis.

Quote:
I could not handle having thoughts of sex cross my mind every 30 seconds or 10 seconds, or whatever it's supposed to be. How the hell do you get anything done?
Misandrist stereotype

Quote:
I'm not sure I could adjust to flipping channels on TV instead of looking up what's on, going to that channel, and putting the remote nicely on the coffee table. But I suppose my feet would be on the coffee table anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I would do things where I could flex/use my upper body physical strength - like doing push ups, or lifting a couch, or a car. I would carry people for no reason. Maybe I'd try to be a fireman.

I'd be constantly touching/stroking my chest/arm/butt/leg muscles (and other things). I'd stand naked in front of mirrors, flexing.
LOLOL You have to exercise to do that. Seriously? Lift a car immediately after becoming male? Are you a bodybuilder/powerlifter already?

Quote:
I would wear really good clothes, and really good cologne, and really good shoes, and be impeccably groomed. I'd buy a very nice watch, but wear no other jewelry. I would have an extensive tie collection. I'd probably have hundreds of ties - thousands.
Because you can't do that as a female, with the priviledge of crossdressing as male or wearing 'masculine' clothes and getting away with it more than males do with 'feminine' clothing?

Last edited by Warsie; 10-19-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default Switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
<snip>

Unfortunately, the police investigation surrounding my disappearance would likely have them chasing the 'new female me' as a 'person of interest'. I'd likely make the best of the situation by following Orrecc's scenario as the best outcome for long term. As for the women who complained about body hair, well, I'd again have a full head of hair! I'd likely be beyond menopause so that physical nuisance would be past, never have had children, and be a taller natural classy statuesque 'lesbian', a perfect man tease, and perhaps break a few men's hearts.
I remember this movie vividly and I think the notion of waking up and discovering that one is the opposite gender of their past life recollection plays out perfectly, up to the very end. Ellen Barkin (wish I could wake up as her in my next life)...PURELY PERFECT as the man to woman here; also geat insights and pearls of wisdom in the dialogue as well.

Do you know how many poor animals they had to kill to make that coat?
Know how many rich animals I had to **** to get this coat?

Jimmy Smits especially makes this film worth watching and if I wake up as a man one morning I only hope I am a reincarnated version of his character in this movie.

'I've looked at love from both sides now...
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all...'

"It is funny from the beginning, bitter-sweet at the end, it is about love, friendship, meaning of life, soul searching, men and women, God and Devil..."

Both Sides, Now Lyrics - Joni Mitchell

Switch (1991) - IMDb

Switch (1991) - YouTube

Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
So let's say you wake up tomorrow, but you suddenly discover your body is that of the opposite gender. What would you do and how would you react? Would you try to make the best of it, correct it with surgery, or would you even go so far as to commit suicide? Would you even be secretly happy about it?

This goes out to males and females alike. I'll post a poll so you can vote anonymously.
I would deal with it but I can't say whether I'd be happier as a male. Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't so it's hard to pick between the last two options.

Of course, I'm older and gender doesn't matter that much to me anymore. If you did this when I was 20, I'd freak at first but who knows what I would have thought about it 5 years later.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I would be bothered by not always knowing exactly how I think and feel about things, and how I arrived at those opinions. I'm very self-examining, and like to turn thoughts over and over and fully understand how I got there. I can't imagine having unknown, unfathomed areas in my mind.
I am male, and I feel the same as you. I spend an inordinate amount of time doing intense introspection and mental analysis. I even read up on psychological distortions and thinking errors so I can know what's coming in specific situations or will have useful tips on dealing with erroneous or harmful thoughts. And even though it is of limited usefulness as I cannot directly control these processes, I sometimes like to read up on exactly how specific inputs (either from sensory apparatuses or from within) are processed and how the information flows from area to area in the brain. It really gives you a greater appreciation for how your mind works and how the brain can be likened to an exceptionally powerful biological supercomputer. Did you know the brain contains encoded within it a neurological representation of the mathematical concept of Euclidean space? This representation of space is actually imposed on the environment from within and is the same regardless of the current sensory features of the environment. Isn't that just cool?

I don't think wanting to know oneself and one's own mind is limited to any gender or sex.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
I was never one for logic. I was far better at writing and reading than numbers. I don't think it's necessarily a male trait to be logical though, but males to tend to be less emotional and tend to bottle things up more.

I don't mind it when the couple of female friends I have talk to me about their relationship issues. They both reciprocate, so they allow me to vent too. I honestly prefer that than drab talk about sports or other subjects that my male friends generally deviate to when anything pertaining to feelings comes up. It frustrates the hell out of me at times, as if switching the subject to football is going to distract my mind from my problems.

I am probably too emotional in many respects. I tend to react with feelings rather than take a step back to look at the facts to consider if my argument is actually plausible or if I'm just reacting.

Do you think it would be easier for a woman to think like a man or vice-versa?
Interesting, we are opposites.... I sometimes think I'm not emotional enough... not empathetic enough to others feelings. I am trying to work on this - thinking about others feelings before acting (this does not come naturally to me unfortunately).

I don't know which would be easier - becoming a man or woman. I guess it depends on the person. I happen to be very adaptable... am able to adapt my persona to any given situation. Being a chameleon may be advantageous when changing into the opposite sex. So maybe the best actors/actresses would have the easiest times getting into character.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
Yeah
LOLOL You have to exercise to do that. Seriously? Lift a car immediately after becoming male? Are you a bodybuilder/powerlifter already?
LOLOLOL...You seemed to have missed the point and humorous tone of others' posts. It is a biological fact that males have, in general, more upper body muscle mass. Are you disputing this fact? If I woke up in a male body I would assume I'd have more upper body strength and would do things to feel that strength - like lift a car. And no, I am not a powerlifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
Because you can't do that as a female, with the priviledge of crossdressing as male or wearing 'masculine' clothes and getting away with it more than males do with 'feminine' clothing?
No, I choose to wear very 'feminine' clothes. I embrace 'feminine' clothes and have absolutely no desire to wear 'masculine' clothes. If I were a male, I'd embrace 'masculine' clothes which is why I might transfer my handbag addiction to a tie addiction. My personal style happens to fit with societal norms on dressing and I'm ok with that. I like looking the part. When in Rome....
But if you want to cross-dress, I would have absolutely no problem with it. Wear what you want, but maybe refrain from judging others...

Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM

58 posts, read 114,577 times
That would depend if along with a new male body I'd also have a male brain.

I'm happy being a woman, so I don't know how I'd react to waking up as a man other than to explore the *ahem* dangly bits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology