Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM

112 posts, read 133,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
The first thing you perhaps should do is learn just a little diplomacy, tact and manners.
Sorry, I didn't intend to call your son that I was just trying to describe him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Those are fighting words where I come from. I'm against war as much if not more than the next guy but military personnel like marines make too many sacrifices to be disparaged like this.
I have a lot of respect for the Marine Corps. I guess I have to work on how I word things. My point is that most Marines tend to be....not as nice.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM

239 posts, read 673,691 times
you've got a lot of time to figure things out, and one will never fully figure out their life even if they think they have.

start off with what you think you would enjoy doing. go to the Internet and find out what kind of work is out there. if you still can't find anything you think you will enjoy, think about the kind of lifestyle you want. not like the life of a millionaire, but realistically, what social/financial class do you want to be in. are you ok working hourly gigs at $15/per or do you want something in a more office-like environment making an annual salary. figure this part out and see what kind of jobs out there you can possible entertain that would pay what you want.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Its good you are asking yourself questions, and do not rush. One should not go to the military when they are not sure about career, etc. Military should be if you are really interested, don't just join. I never got why some people join when they feel something is missing.

Make sure you pass your classes, if you are not interested in school for now, take a break instead of failing classes.

Don't push yourself, but step back and think long and hard about your passions, interests, and goals.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
While you mentioned joining the military and I responded to it, Xavier, I suggest you talk to some vets about it before you proceed further.
The military is not, and has never been, the right choice for some people, but when you're in, you're in. There are no second thoughts, and no ability to just leave with no harm, no foul, if it's not right for you.

For sure, get as much differing advice as you can and consider it very carefully. The advice of taking both years of your CC education is very good, and you have a decade or more ahead of you if you continue to think of enlisting.

I did, at your age, after 2 years of college. A 4 year enlistment was more than enough for me, and when I was discharged, I never looked back, but all in all, those 4 years really didn't affect my eventual career one way or the other. It did allow me to use my veteran's benefits, though, when I went back to college and bought my first home. And I got to see the world, which was a lasting benefit, but only due to a typical military fluke. i could have just as easily never had the chance to see very much abroad.

My son thought of joining the Air Force at 21, but went to a CC and took a 3 year course in advanced mechanics first. By the time he was through, he decided the Air Force wasn't for him. I neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He has no regrets he didn't enlist.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM

12 posts, read 12,367 times
I'm 33 and change my mind on what I want to do all the time. The only advise I will give is to stay out of debt! That way when you hit you're 30's and decide you don't like doing what you did in your 20's you are not stuck because of crushing debt.
I have friends with tons of student loan debt, big home mortgage debt new car debt, credit card debt and I could go on but my point is that without all of that debt they could take the money they are paying others to build wealth and invest it for themselves and be rich b4 the time they hit 50 even at a below average return.

The numbers are staggering when you look at how many people hate the jobs they have but most are stuck due to all of the debt they have taken on. I'm still on a trial and air as far as what I want to do but knowing I'm not stuck is a great feeling.

BTW going to a community college is a wise choice over a university unless you know what you want to do and even then doing the first two years at a CC is wise.

Also something I didn't do enough of at you're age is invest in a retirement/ investment, the power of compound interest for someone starting at you're age is amazing. Even if you only put $25 a month away in the beginning its a very good choice to start young.

I still get anxious about the future but as I get older as corny as it sounds I have to remind myself to relax, enjoy life and breath. I wish I would have started telling myself that at 21 and not 31 that way it would for sure be a habit today!

Breath! You are young..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,845 times
immediately enlisted in the army

Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike8080 View Post
I'm 33 and change my mind on what I want to do all the time. The only advise I will give is to stay out of debt! That way when you hit you're 30's and decide you don't like doing what you did in your 20's you are not stuck because of crushing debt.
I have friends with tons of student loan debt, big home mortgage debt new car debt, credit card debt and I could go on but my point is that without all of that debt they could take the money they are paying others to build wealth and invest it for themselves and be rich b4 the time they hit 50 even at a below average return.

The numbers are staggering when you look at how many people hate the jobs they have but most are stuck due to all of the debt they have taken on. I'm still on a trial and air as far as what I want to do but knowing I'm not stuck is a great feeling.

BTW going to a community college is a wise choice over a university unless you know what you want to do and even then doing the first two years at a CC is wise.

Also something I didn't do enough of at you're age is invest in a retirement/ investment, the power of compound interest for someone starting at you're age is amazing. Even if you only put $25 a month away in the beginning its a very good choice to start young.

I still get anxious about the future but as I get older as corny as it sounds I have to remind myself to relax, enjoy life and breath. I wish I would have started telling myself that at 21 and not 31 that way it would for sure be a habit today!

Breath! You are young..
Thank You but to be honest I feel like I am facing a mid life crisis of my own. And yes, I am definitely planning on saving money for the future.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 12,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierPacheco View Post
Thank You but to be honest I feel like I am facing a mid life crisis of my own. And yes, I am definitely planning on saving money for the future.

Midlife crises? I'm only 33, I sure a heck hope to live past 66.

My goal is to invest 30% of my income in my 30's and 40% in my 40's. but since I'm at my mid life crisis point I should probably just throw in the towel.

If I would have done 20% in my 20's I would be so far ahead of where I am today.

Just my two cents. Stay out of debt and invest in your future. But it sounds like all of this is less about a career and more about feeling depressed? IDK just a hunch. If so getting that monkey off you're back is not something I can help you with but there are many people who can!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
While you mentioned joining the military and I responded to it, Xavier, I suggest you talk to some vets about it before you proceed further.
The military is not, and has never been, the right choice for some people, but when you're in, you're in. There are no second thoughts, and no ability to just leave with no harm, no foul, if it's not right for you.

For sure, get as much differing advice as you can and consider it very carefully. The advice of taking both years of your CC education is very good, and you have a decade or more ahead of you if you continue to think of enlisting.

I did, at your age, after 2 years of college. A 4 year enlistment was more than enough for me, and when I was discharged, I never looked back, but all in all, those 4 years really didn't affect my eventual career one way or the other. It did allow me to use my veteran's benefits, though, when I went back to college and bought my first home. And I got to see the world, which was a lasting benefit, but only due to a typical military fluke. i could have just as easily never had the chance to see very much abroad.

My son thought of joining the Air Force at 21, but went to a CC and took a 3 year course in advanced mechanics first. By the time he was through, he decided the Air Force wasn't for him. I neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He has no regrets he didn't enlist.
When people ask me, what interests me...all I can say is that I really enjoy physical education. I enjoy it because I like changing into athletic clothes, being around hot girls, playing competitive sports...that is when I am the most confident and when I feel happy. The closest thing to that is the military and this odd job I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology