Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I sort of disagree with this. People will always treat attractive people with more respect and gravitate towards them no matter what their personality is like. I think I have a pretty nice personality and I've been treated like garbage before all because of how I look.
I agree. I always felt like a freak, although people were always nice to me (probably because I realized, if I was always nice then they wouldn't have a reason to not like me). but when you're a kid, looks don't really matter as much. most kids are just happy and it's easier to be friends and everything. you don't really pay attention to their looks. but as you get older, and you realize how everyone else looks pretty or at least normal...you sort of start to realize. as I got older, I really started to hate the whole concept of beauty, and how beautiful people are lauded and drooled over, for every little thing they do, just because a pretty person did it. I think it was probably 5th grade, I had just moved to a new town, and there was a girl in my class that looked sort of like me, but the pretty version. and I was so jealous. the teacher had favorites, and she was one of them. her and my cousin (who is also gorgeous) are the two people I've always been jealous of. I would look at her stuff online, and again be jealous, about why couldn't I look like that. but I just got pissed off and disgusted, that people always gush over her and are always posting about how beautiful she is, and everything she does or posts, is so wonderful...when if it was an ugly person doing the same thing, no one would care. and, I know I was as nice and smart and talented as her...but if you're ugly, no one cares.

Quote:
Being ugly literally has no advantages or positives about it.
except, not getting as much unwanted attention from pervs (if you're a girl). I walk around all the time at night, and I don't really see gorgeous girls doing that.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,748 times
I have also wondered if there was some pro-bono plastic surgery for ugly people. if they do it for people with deformities, then why not? my issue is not just a big nose...there are plenty of people with big noses, that are still pretty and still get boyfriends/girlfriends. my issue is something that seems abnormal, and is what makes me feel like a freak. I've never seen anyone else with the same thing, but I've looked online, and there is a plastic surgery website, and I saw a couple people with the same thing posting (although I think mine looks worse), but no one apparently had any answers. I think my jaw issues probably make it worse...I should have had braces, but that's considered 'cosmetic' (which is bull****, if it affects your functioning and self-esteem, social life, etc.). I would like to get a consultation, to see if there is even anything they could do, but I doubt there is, and I don't have the money anyway.

another thing, is...now that it's acceptible to claim that you were born in the wrong body...I don't know if that is covered by insurance, or the government (I think it is in Canada, and in prison), but if it is...it's the same argument. I always felt like I was a pretty little princess, or whatever, as most girls want to be. but instead, I'm a freak, and somehow keep thinking I'm normal, like everyone else I see..until I look in the mirror. so why can't I have surgery, to be the pretty person I always felt like inside?

Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I have also wondered if there was some pro-bono plastic surgery for ugly people. if they do it for people with deformities, then why not? my issue is not just a big nose...there are plenty of people with big noses, that are still pretty and still get boyfriends/girlfriends. my issue is something that seems abnormal, and is what makes me feel like a freak. I've never seen anyone else with the same thing, but I've looked online, and there is a plastic surgery website, and I saw a couple people with the same thing posting (although I think mine looks worse), but no one apparently had any answers. I think my jaw issues probably make it worse...I should have had braces, but that's considered 'cosmetic' (which is bull****, if it affects your functioning and self-esteem, social life, etc.). I would like to get a consultation, to see if there is even anything they could do, but I doubt there is, and I don't have the money anyway.

another thing, is...now that it's acceptible to claim that you were born in the wrong body...I don't know if that is covered by insurance, or the government (I think it is in Canada, and in prison), but if it is...it's the same argument. I always felt like I was a pretty little princess, or whatever, as most girls want to be. but instead, I'm a freak, and somehow keep thinking I'm normal, like everyone else I see..until I look in the mirror. so why can't I have surgery, to be the pretty person I always felt like inside?
No one said you can't have surgery. But I am baffled as to why you feel that others must pay for it.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:14 PM

42 posts, read 76,927 times
I have been treated bad because I have an illness and look worse than I ever did and I used to look good. I notice the differene in the way people treat me. at first it was truly painful like I lost something important, but then it made me look into myself and made me be happy by myself with whatever I could do. I now realize that looks are important in society but anyone who judges you just because of how u look and won't get to know you because of it, it sucks for them.. you have to get enough self esteem to realize how much you are worth and then other people's first impression of you won't matter, because you are much more than that

Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM

710 posts, read 584,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I agree. I always felt like a freak, although people were always nice to me (probably because I realized, if I was always nice then they wouldn't have a reason to not like me). but when you're a kid, looks don't really matter as much. most kids are just happy and it's easier to be friends and everything. you don't really pay attention to their looks. but as you get older, and you realize how everyone else looks pretty or at least normal...you sort of start to realize. as I got older, I really started to hate the whole concept of beauty, and how beautiful people are lauded and drooled over, for every little thing they do, just because a pretty person did it. I think it was probably 5th grade, I had just moved to a new town, and there was a girl in my class that looked sort of like me, but the pretty version. and I was so jealous. the teacher had favorites, and she was one of them. her and my cousin (who is also gorgeous) are the two people I've always been jealous of. I would look at her stuff online, and again be jealous, about why couldn't I look like that. but I just got pissed off and disgusted, that people always gush over her and are always posting about how beautiful she is, and everything she does or posts, is so wonderful...when if it was an ugly person doing the same thing, no one would care. and, I know I was as nice and smart and talented as her...but if you're ugly, no one cares.

except, not getting as much unwanted attention from pervs (if you're a girl). I walk around all the time at night, and I don't really see gorgeous girls doing that.
I was bullied all throughout middle school about how ugly I was. Kids would literally point and laugh at me and I wasn't even aware that I was so bad looking. I will never forget the first day of my fifth grade year when it all started, the night prior I remember being so excited and preparing myself for the first day. I put on my school uniform and I thought I looked great. When I got to class that day, the kids started laughing at me and making fun of me, it was so degrading and I remember it like it was yesterday. At this point, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the way I look and I'll always be insecure, but I do want to get cosmetic surgery when I save up enough. You have a point about the unwanted attention thing and I do feel bad for women who have to go through that, I would never harass someone who wanted to be left alone.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
No one said you can't have surgery. But I am baffled as to why you feel that others must pay for it.
I'm not her, but significant deformities (especially above the neck) make it hard or almost impossible for many people to find employment. Cycle of poverty. I think major deformities or abnormalities present at birth or acquired through no fault of one's own should be covered by insurance, except maybe for wealthy people (e.g., a celebrity's unfortunate child).

Old 03-16-2017, 06:08 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm not her, but significant deformities (especially above the neck) make it hard or almost impossible for many people to find employment. Cycle of poverty. I think major deformities or abnormalities present at birth or acquired through no fault of one's own should be covered by insurance, except maybe for wealthy people (e.g., a celebrity's unfortunate child).
I would have no issue with insurance covering surgeries. That's not what she said.

And I was born with strabismus (crossed eyes) so I get it. But I have to say that I had no issues finding employment.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
There are plenty of people who are severely deformed through illness or birth defects: Steven Hawking, Chang & Eng who were Siamese twins (now called conjoined twins) who married and had children. There are Abby and Brittany, also conjoined twins who were on TLC, who appear very happy. There are "ugly" people who have made the best of their looks by dressing well, focusing on their personality and cultivating good friends. I think if a person is prone to depression to start out with they will naturally have a harder time in this world.

Being attractive and rich doesn't necessarily make a person happy. If it did we wouldn't see so many celebrities killing themselves.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I would have no issue with insurance covering surgeries. That's not what she said.

And I was born with strabismus (crossed eyes) so I get it. But I have to say that I had no issues finding employment.
Because your strabismus was corrected?

Reading between the lines, she has a facial deformity (no idea what) and a big nose. There is a little pro bono cosmetic surgery for 'ugliness' that's not quite a deformity, but probably geared mostly toward children. I've seen it offered to guests on a TV show; it can be a nice promotional tool for doctors.

Edit: bikegal can DM me if she's willing to apply to that particular show for help. I know what kinds of cases they accept, and furthermore I get emails (albeit impersonal) from someone who probably is an assistant producer of it. It would have to happen soon if she doesn't want to wait until the fall for pro bono surgery. Although of course it's unlikely she'd be chosen.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-16-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 PM

710 posts, read 584,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
There are plenty of people who are severely deformed through illness or birth defects: Steven Hawking, Chang & Eng who were Siamese twins (now called conjoined twins) who married and had children. There are Abby and Brittany, also conjoined twins who were on TLC, who appear very happy. There are "ugly" people who have made the best of their looks by dressing well, focusing on their personality and cultivating good friends. I think if a person is prone to depression to start out with they will naturally have a harder time in this world.

Being attractive and rich doesn't necessarily make a person happy. If it did we wouldn't see so many celebrities killing themselves.
Being attractive or rich won't guarantee happiness but it must be nice never having to worry about receiving attention from the opposite sex or the other perks that come along with being attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.