Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,019,019 times

Advertisements

Oh the horror. Having customers in your store! What is the world coming to?

Okay, there are the nut jobs who mindlessly stroll around just to be a PIA. Probably never buy anything.

Then there are legitimate customers who, for whatever reason (the other night I had to buy a mailbox because the contractor was finishing that area, unbeknownst to me, the following morning) and I am curious why the store clerks/owners/managers are not happy to have someone in there purchasing goods? It is just poor business to chase people out the door at 7 p.m., or whatever, because 'we are closed'. BS! I am going to spend money in your store. I am the customer. You can wait, or I can go spend my money (today and forever) at another store which values my business.

The one that really gets to me is the deli/seafood/butcher department in a grocery store that starts shutting down at 8 p.m. so they 'can make the 9 p.m. store closing'. NO! The store stays open until 9. You clean up or restock or do whatever you have to do after 9!

Why is this so difficult for store operators to understand? Small independent businesses provide service and are there for the customers. Big box stores, chain operators, and franchise shops? Not so much.....and in many cases that is why they come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,804,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Decided this was a mental issue- so- why do shoppers NOT go home at closing or come in 5 minutes before the store closes.. not needing -a last minute pr of nylons or the kids crayons for school or a plumbing part.. why??
A mental issue?? ha ha

I just got off work and I am out of milk. If I make it through your doors at 855 (closing is at 9), you betcha I'm going to go get my milk, and maybe some cookies, and whatever else catches my eye as I'm mendering back to the register.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM

16 posts, read 19,173 times
Listen, if you're open until 7pm, and I walk in before 7pm, then **** and take my money, for goodness sake. Now, if I am not in line with my items by closing, then feel free to tell me to leave (e.g., setting up for a 2 hour grocery trip and expecting staff to wait overtime is a whole different bucket of douchethereitis). I cannot stand to walk in to a store and have someone shriek WE CLOSE IN TEN MINUTES at me. Hello, I can read the sign, you're still open, I'm perfectly capable of grabbing the one or two things I need and getting in line within that time frame.

So my opinion is this, in short: I am perfectly entitled to come in two minutes before closing, if I want to, but you're entitled to ask me to leave if I'm not in line by closing. You can't have Hours of Operation and then get pissy when your customer base holds you to that, that's called poor business sense. Again, I'm not saying the guy that comes in and takes 30 minutes to choose a candy bar is in the right, at all, because that is 25 minutes over closing time; he's using time that isn't allotted to him.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM

6,643 posts, read 5,865,657 times
Retail businesses can't afford to alienate customers in the internet age. Not only are internet retailers cheaper and open 24x7, they are more clued into review services like yelp.

I hate being treated rudely in stores. I hate when someone insists on yelling "We're almost closed" just as I enter the store. I hate when the counter help is in a hurry to shoo me out so they can rush home. My money, my time.

The old retail culture was different. The customer was king, and many store owners would stay open as long as needed to make a sale. It seems as though they don't even care, these days.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,169,926 times
I'd bet the OP is a clerk, not a business owner. When I owned a smallish retail store, I welcomed any buying customer who came in before the doors were locked. I'd bet that's the case with nearly every retail store owner. There's not that much profit in small stores, and you take it when you can if you want to stay in business. With large stores such a Walmart, sure. They can't keep the store open for a late customer, but a small store can.

My question would be, "Why are store clerks, who are paid an hourly wage (and possibly a small commission) and will beg the boss for more hours, in such a rush to leave the store at closing time?" My wife has that problem with her help at a sandwich shop, mostly younger kids who constantly want more hours on their schedule, but when closing time approaches they climb over one another to leave exactly at closing time. If a customer comes in 10 minutes before closing, he's probably too late. "Sorry, the sandwich line has been shut down. Would you like some chips or a cookie?"

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-26-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,970,298 times
Because they couldn't get off work at their own jobs any earlier.

Quote:
My question would be, "Why are store clerks, who are paid an hourly wage (and possibly a small commission) and will beg the boss for more hours, in such a rush to leave the store at closing time?" My wife has that problem with her help at a sandwich shop, mostly younger kids who constantly want more hours on their schedule, but when closing time approaches they climb over one another to leave exactly at closing time. If a customer comes in 10 minutes before closing, he's probably too late. "Sorry, the sandwich line has been shut down. Would you like some chips or a cookie?"
Good point!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM

35,434 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Oh the horror. Having customers in your store! What is the world coming to?

Okay, there are the nut jobs who mindlessly stroll around just to be a PIA. Probably never buy anything.

Then there are legitimate customers who, for whatever reason (the other night I had to buy a mailbox because the contractor was finishing that area, unbeknownst to me, the following morning) and I am curious why the store clerks/owners/managers are not happy to have someone in there purchasing goods? It is just poor business to chase people out the door at 7 p.m., or whatever, because 'we are closed'. BS! I am going to spend money in your store. I am the customer. You can wait, or I can go spend my money (today and forever) at another store which values my business.

The one that really gets to me is the deli/seafood/butcher department in a grocery store that starts shutting down at 8 p.m. so they 'can make the 9 p.m. store closing'. NO! The store stays open until 9. You clean up or restock or do whatever you have to do after 9!

Why is this so difficult for store operators to understand? Small independent businesses provide service and are there for the customers. Big box stores, chain operators, and franchise shops? Not so much.....and in many cases that is why they come and go.
wow /// there it is!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksalottery View Post
Listen, if you're open until 7pm, and I walk in before 7pm, then **** and take my money, for goodness sake. Now, if I am not in line with my items by closing, then feel free to tell me to leave (e.g., setting up for a 2 hour grocery trip and expecting staff to wait overtime is a whole different bucket of douchethereitis). I cannot stand to walk in to a store and have someone shriek WE CLOSE IN TEN MINUTES at me. Hello, I can read the sign, you're still open, I'm perfectly capable of grabbing the one or two things I need and getting in line within that time frame.

So my opinion is this, in short: I am perfectly entitled to come in two minutes before closing, if I want to, but you're entitled to ask me to leave if I'm not in line by closing. You can't have Hours of Operation and then get pissy when your customer base holds you to that, that's called poor business sense. Again, I'm not saying the guy that comes in and takes 30 minutes to choose a candy bar is in the right, at all, because that is 25 minutes over closing time; he's using time that isn't allotted to him.

I posted:: the late-comer in a hurry to buy his milk and cookies is fine. Those come every day... no problem! again NOT asking about those folks ---we are talking about the strollers,,, smelling all the flowers opening all the boxes and not buying anything-- 20 min after close, and you see them 3- 4 times a week. I see every body's " rights" feel frazzled...WOW -- It is not my store, but a huge chain... to answer another question---today we had a bad storm.. 2 of my coworkers have to run after the bus- last one comes at 11---and we close at 10- PM -7 days a week.. and, the stop is not in the front of doors of the store? will the employee make the bus?- the stroller doesn't care- Many kids are in college too... I hear of exams etc and trying to get off to study or other things... working in retail etc is only a temp thing- BUT they need it for now.. You say you feel entitled to come in as long as doors open and we feel entitled to say we closing -wrap it up... we agree. but why is it not that simple? last question, open at 6 am how much earlier do you want?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'd bet the OP is a clerk, not a business owner. When I owned a smallish retail store, I welcomed any buying customer who came in before the doors were locked. I'd bet that's the case with nearly every retail store owner. There's not that much profit in small stores, and you take it when you can if you want to stay in business. With large stores such a Walmart, sure. They can't keep the store open for a late customer, but a small store can.

At min wage,,, it is only a means, not our lives- not our store, they making BILLIONS

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
A mental issue?? ha ha

I just got off work and I am out of milk. If I make it through your doors at 855 (closing is at 9), you betcha I'm going to go get my milk, and maybe some cookies, and whatever else catches my eye as I'm mendering back to the register.
NOT the customer who need the kids crayons for school project... milk for breakfast... toilet paper,, not addressing those last min, needy shoppers--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology